Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a brand name, make and model of an accurate tire pressure gauge? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Can anyone suggest a brand name, make and model of an accurate tire pressure gauge? Thanks in advance.
1) In-line:

I can strongly recommend KTool's KTI89001 gauge, especially if you'll be connecting it to an air pump, i.e., adding air, not just checking it.

I own and have been using this for four or five years, with no problems. I use it at home, in my garage, connected to an air compressor plugged into house current. The batteries last a long time, and are easy to change. Also, pressing the handle partially serves as a release valve (which isn't intuitively obvious).

The manufacturer's page is KTI89001 | Air Compressors | Shop Tools and Equipment | Product Categories | Tools | K Tool International Site and I see it's listed on Amazon at Amazon.com: K Tool International - Digital Tire Inflator With Pressure Gauge, 150PSI With 0.1 PSI Resolution, Dual Head Chuck With Heavy Duty Hose: Automotive

2) Stand-alone:

If you're not interested in a gauge with an air compressor pass-through, i.e., if you just want to check pressure with it, I would suggest Motion Pro's "Digital Tire Pressure Gauge 0-60 psi." I don't have this, but I have a lot of other Motion Pro tools (and even its adjustable air chuck), and all of their products have been top quality, as advertised, well-reviewed in motorcycle magazine, etc.

This product is Digital Tire Pressure Gauge 0-60 psi - Motion Pro and is at Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Digital-Pressure-Batteries/dp/B07GCS9ZCM/

3) Accuracy vs. Resolution:

Keep in mind, if you're new to all of this, that I have migrated over the years from analog gauges to digital gauges. I have a pic, for instance, from 2014 (when I was writing an article for webBikeWorld about a particular motorcycle TPMS add-on) that shows some of the gauges I had lying around at the time (shortly before I got the KTI):

2014-04-23-11-50-26.jpg

In any case and most importantly, just because a digital gauge has a readout that shows, say, tenths of a PSI, it does not mean that it's accurate to that degree. That's just its resolution (which is useful for repeating readings, but that's it).

The accuracy, OTOH, is what you should be more concerned with.

The KTI89001 has a stated accuracy of "±1% + 0.5psi" in the range we're working with, which means, in the low to upper 30s of PSI, it's accurate to ±0.8 or ±0.9 PSI.

That particular Motion Pro gauge is listed as being accurate to ±0.6 PSI.

Both are very good, and you'd have to spend two or three times that to get more accurate readings. And for our purposes, you don't need more accurate readings, because we're not professional race car drivers, and the daily ambient temperature changes* will more than offset the readings, and so forth. So I recommend those two, for being adequately accurate in a reasonable price range.

*(Incidentally, if you want to see how ambient temp changes affect pressures, I wrote a calculator for that sort of thing, and put it up as a page on my web site, here: Setting a Tire's Pressure at One Temperature to Achieve a Desired Pressure at Another Temperature .)

4) Handling:

As I say, I've been using the KTI for years, but you have to treat these well. No dropping on concrete floors, for instance, or just throwing into tool boxes.

If you want a small gauge to fit in the glove box, I'll pass on that. The P-cars have big tires, and you shouldn't need to check or add air on a whim, while driving. And you have an MFD readout. And except for emergencies, tires should be adjusted only when "cold" (sitting for hours) anyway, so what's the point of keeping a gauge with you? That's my take on that, anyway.

That's all I got.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts