Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2016 S CPO into the shop last week (evidently I am just out of factory warranty), for a thunk noise I get when I turn sharply on an incline, such as a driveway. They indicated that they attached "suspension ears" and identified the source of the sound and replaced several subframe bolts. Unfortunately, the sound is still there. Per the SA, this noise is not covered under CPO but they ended up paying for the cost of the repair, which I appreciated. So, now that the thunking is still there, I am a bit concerned about what the cause of the sound is and what future problems I may have. Besides the noise, the car runs and drives fine. I am thinking I should reach out to Porsche NA to open a case with them to see if they will do a goodwill troubleshooting and fix for me. The senior tech that rode with me last week indicated that this was the first time he had heard this sort of a noise from a Macan. Thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get a "thunk"-like noise from mine when turning after the hatch has been opened and closed. It only happens once and when there is frame flex like turning on an incline and no noises therafter. I think its just the hatch settling back into place.

Not sure if that helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is pretty consistent and I can feel it under neath the car. I may take it too an Indy and have them oeek at it while I get my brake fluid changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
I took my 2016 S CPO into the shop last week (evidently I am just out of factory warranty), for a thunk noise I get when I turn sharply on an incline, such as a driveway. .....the thunking is still there.....thoughts/recommendations?
I get a "thunk"-like noise from mine when turning after the hatch has been opened and closed. It only happens once and when there is frame flex like turning on an incline and no noises therafter. I think its just the hatch settling back into place.....
Try adjusting the hatch bumper stops. One or two clicks on each side is generally enough. See the following thread.....

Tailgate Rattle

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
It could be wheel hop. How big/wide are your tires? Wheel hop often happens when the weather is cold.

Wheel hop happened all the time with my Cayman. Not so much with my Macan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think its wheel hop, it happens all time of the day, slow speed, etc. Taking it to a good indy shop on Monday for a look at.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a similar issue with the car making a 'clunk' or 'thump' noise on inclined turns.
I will need to take a look at what Porsche did to fix it.
If I remember, it was a matter of greasing/lubing something on the front end - hood/fender area.

If I don't repond within a few days, send me a DM!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I’m also finding now that I can reproduce the noise while the car is stationary, but only if I’m a incline. So, not sure what that means. My Indy also looked at it and had no definite answer for me either. Ugh....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m also finding now that I can reproduce the sound while the car is stationary and just turning the wheel sharply to the left. And sometimes I get it when coming to a quick stop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a similar issue with the car making a 'clunk' or 'thump' noise on inclined turns.
I will need to take a look at what Porsche did to fix it.
If I remember, it was a matter of greasing/lubing something on the front end - hood/fender area.

If I don't repond within a few days, send me a DM!
Hi there, do you happen to have that info? Oddly, the sounds do not appear when it’s cold, such as first thing in the morning. So maybe some parts just need to be grease as you mentioned.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have something like this when turning into my driveway, but it's more like a rattle or creaking sound. I've read about hood "noise eliminator" bushings and wondering if that might do the trick. Their cheap at least.
Link to parts at Suncoast: Noise Eliminator - Hood Bushings

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
My 2015 has wheel hop only with 21”summer tires. this occurs when the steer wheel is turned sharply making a tight radius turn forward driving forward or backward. The tire is actually skipping on the pavement. No abnormal tire wear will occur but it sounds unnerving. I have heard there is an adjustment with the alignment of the car but never took the time to pursue it as tire wear. is perfect. Have someone drive the car holding a tight turn slowly is tire scrubs and skips you have your answer.

@osodog take the time to read the above I think you are describing wheel hop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont think it’s wheel hop as it’s starting to happen when I brake and the steering is straight. I had both a Porsche dealer and an Indy look at it and neither had a conclusive diagnosis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts