Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I take 2-3 long road trips every year and was tired of filling the Macan to over-capacity while driving. After much research and waiting for labor day sales I finally installed the Thule Aeroblade edge bars and the Thule Motion XT Large Cargo carrier.

The aero blades are nice and flush with the rails and the black looks great on my GTS. There is a non-edge version so if you need to carry multiple things side by side and need a wider bar. These are a very low profile bar and I don’t notice any additional wind noise with just the bars installed. I have the panoramic roof and still have full functionality with these installed. You will need fit kit 4050. I also recommend purchasing the one-key locks for these as locks are not included. Buy a 6-pack so you can use 4 for the bars and 2 for the box. Install is straightforward, instructions are a joke so just search for install videos online.

The Motion XT can open from both sides and the Large is a perfect size for the Macan. Install is super easy, the clamps clip on adjustable rails to accommodate the width of your bars and you ratchet the “claws” until they click and you know they are locked down. You get an additional 16 cubic feet of storage and the internal dimensions are generous and can hold a lot of odd shaped items. The locking mechanism is in the base, not the lid and there is a red indicator that shows if the box is not fully closed. You cannot remove the key unless the box is fully closed as well which is a great safety feature. I drove through some heavy rains and everything inside was bone dry. Wind noise is minimal, nothing distracting. The shape and finish of the box is very modern and goes well with the Macan aesthetic.

Summary - great product from a great company, if you’re like me and have to travel with kids, pets and outdoor gear, this is a wise investment! Thanks for reading

Attachments

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Great review. Thanks for posting.

I have the same Thule aeroblades and they are excellent.

However, I was looking at the Thule Force carrier vs the Motion. How did you decide?

EDIT - I found an excellent video that compares the Force and Motion. Spoiler alert - the Motion is better.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watched that same video during my research - good find. If you can wait for REI’s next 20% off sale which should be at the end of the year you can save some cash

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I see you're using the Macan as intended (some off-roading), nice. Did the Thule box ding your gas mileage or was it unnoticed?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see you're using the Macan as intended (some off-roading), nice. Did the Thule box ding your gas mileage or was it unnoticed?
Will definitely get good use of off-road mode these next 2 weeks!

Yes, mileage decreased 1-2 MPG over 800 miles, 90% highway and 10% climbing and twisting paved trail

Kept speeds well under 80 per safety recommendations

·
Registered
544 Posts
I did the Yakima route on mine. I was amazed on how quiet the cargo box was on my car compared to having a rack with a few snowboards on it. A great purchase it was. I am not putting any gear in my Macan as the car is simply to nice to mess up pulling things in and out of it. I think the Cargo boxes have many uses for them.

I would also recommend the REI garage sale. The original Cargo box I bought from REI has the F word carved into it on the inside. I returned it and was told that it would be sold there. they have a love it or leave it policy you can return anything for any reason up to 12 months of purchase date

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Fit Porsche Crossbars?

Does anyone know whether the Thule crossbar grippers will work okay on the official Porsche crossbars?

When we spec'ed out our '18 S, we ordered the roof rails and the OEM crossbars. I have yet to use either, but someday I expect to need a roof cargo box, and that Motion XT L looks like a reasonable choice.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Does anyone know whether the Thule crossbar grippers will work okay on the official Porsche crossbars?

When we spec'ed out our '18 S, we ordered the roof rails and the OEM crossbars. I have yet to use either, but someday I expect to need a roof cargo box, and that Motion XT L looks like a reasonable choice.
Your question does not compute. Try using the word 'rails' for the stuff that goes fore and aft and then ask if the Thule cross bars work on this. Otherwise why would you have cross bars on cross bars.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Your question does not compute. Try using the word 'rails' for the stuff that goes fore and aft and then ask if the Thule cross bars work on this. Otherwise why would you have cross bars on cross bars.

I took the question to mean do the “grippers” on the Thule box properly grip the Porsche OEM crossbars.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This will work with the Porsche OEM crossbars. There is another member here with a White GTS with the Motion XT and OEM bars. Do a quick search as he posted pics as well

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Well, @Daya and @philbert correctly figured out my intent, and I now have my answer. Whew!

Perhaps what I should have said:

When I ordered my '18 Macan S, I included in that order (quoting the final build sheet) the optional part 5W4 "Roof Rails in Black incl. Roof Transport System." That package consists of the following (quoting the configurator):

- "High quality aluminum roof rails finished in High Gloss Black and styled to match exterior design"
- "Two adjustable and lockable transverse bars that secure to roof rails, compatible with all Porsche roof attachments (e.g. roof box, ski carrier)"

Given all of that, there is a part in the Thule Motion XT cargo box that I had earlier referred to as "crossbar grippers." That part is referred to in the YouTube video -- the review by Rack Outfitters, cited in post #2 , starting at about the five-minute mark -- as a piece of "hardware" and an "aid in gripping." A review by Outdoor Gearlab -- https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/travel/cargo-box/thule-motion-xt-xl -- refers to that as a "clamp," as in "we couldn't believe how easy it was to simply twist open the clamps, lift the box on top of the car, slide the clamps to fit the cross-bars, and then twist them until they click."

Thus, I was referring to what those commercial outfits have termed an "aid in gripping" or "clamps." And I wanted to know whether those, say, clamps were compatible with my "Two adjustable and lockable transverse bars that secure to roof rails." And @Daya took care of that question -- thanks again.

Seemed easier the way I initially put it, but I think I've officially covered the bases now, haven't I?

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Well, @Daya and @philbert correctly figured out my intent, and I now have my answer. Whew!

Perhaps what I should have said:

When I ordered my '18 Macan S, I included in that order (quoting the final build sheet) the optional part 5W4 "Roof Rails in Black incl. Roof Transport System." That package consists of the following (quoting the configurator):

- "High quality aluminum roof rails finished in High Gloss Black and styled to match exterior design"
- "Two adjustable and lockable transverse bars that secure to roof rails, compatible with all Porsche roof attachments (e.g. roof box, ski carrier)"

Given all of that, there is a part in the Thule Motion XT cargo box that I had earlier referred to as "crossbar grippers." That part is referred to in the YouTube video -- the review by Rack Outfitters, cited in post #2 , starting at about the five-minute mark -- as a piece of "hardware" and an "aid in gripping." A review by Outdoor Gearlab -- https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/travel/cargo-box/thule-motion-xt-xl -- refers to that as a "clamp," as in "we couldn't believe how easy it was to simply twist open the clamps, lift the box on top of the car, slide the clamps to fit the cross-bars, and then twist them until they click."

Thus, I was referring to what those commercial outfits have termed an "aid in gripping" or "clamps." And I wanted to know whether those, say, clamps were compatible with my "Two adjustable and lockable transverse bars that secure to roof rails." And @Daya took care of that question -- thanks again.

Seemed easier the way I initially put it, but I think I've officially covered the bases now, haven't I?
So, the Porsche cross bars are designed to be just high enough to allow the glass roof to have clearance under what you are carrying in order to operate. I have found mileage to drop quite a bit if you are pushing along at 90+ speeds with a ski box on top.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
So, the Porsche cross bars are designed to be just high enough to allow the glass roof to have clearance under what you are carrying in order to operate. I have found mileage to drop quite a bit if you are pushing along at 90+ speeds with a ski box on top.
Interesting info. And you reminded me that I neglected to add -- not that it matters here, apparently, but it might in some situation -- that I don't have the glass roof option.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I take 2-3 long road trips every year and was tired of filling the Macan to over-capacity while driving. After much research and waiting for labor day sales I finally installed the Thule Aeroblade edge bars and the Thule Motion XT Large Cargo carrier.

Summary - great product from a great company, if you’re like me and have to travel with kids, pets and outdoor gear, this is a wise investment! Thanks for reading
Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this along with the pictures. I too have a 2018 GTS in Sapphire Blue and was researching the Thule Motion XT L box for my use. Great to know. Only difference is I have the Porsche Crossbars and a sunroof but I'm not anticipating any problems with that setup. Thanks again!

Reactions: Daya

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this along with the pictures. I too have a 2018 GTS in Sapphire Blue and was researching the Thule Motion XT L box for my use. Great to know. Only difference is I have the Porsche Crossbars and a sunroof but I'm not anticipating any problems with that setup. Thanks again!
Awesome, glad you found my post helpful. You'll have no problems with Thule Motion XT L box on the OEM porsche crossbars. There's at least 1 other member with that exact setup running just fine. You will love the box, it is most excellent. Since you are using the OEM porsche bars, I would still recommend getting the thule one key locks and maybe buy 4 or 6 cores, that way if you add more thule accessories in the future you don't have to buy another set of locks. FYI, you can also buy more cores as well after the fact. I know because I stupidly forgot to lock one of the cross bar mounts and the end cap flew off while driving! It wasn't a safety issue as the bar is clamped down on it's own and the end cap is locked so a would-be thief can't access the assembly. I had to replace the end cap and the lock core.

Happy road tripping

1 - 17 of 17 Posts