·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Good luck Benvo! Let us know.

·
Registered
Macan Turbo
3 Posts
I’m pleased to report that Porsche is picking up 85% of the repair. 1500k is much easier to stomach vs 10K.
I probed the tech on the real issue and he stated it was a faulty bolt which have been replaced w/ a new spec’d replacement bolt. I think I’m buying an extended warranty just in case It’s all BS.
For what it’s worth my dealer has seen their fair share of this issue locally too. My guess is there are plenty of Macans running around with a leaky timing belt cover. It’s rather unfortunate for such an expensive car.

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts
Porsche is pretty good at goodwill, better than some dealers at warranty repairs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Timing cover bolt problem. After a quick scan of all posts I don’t think this has been mentioned.
My mate dropped in to see me the other day, he is a tech, 20 plus years at Porsche .
I asked a few things about macans in general as well as the timing cover leak.
He tells me Porsche use aluminium bolts for the timing cover and it’s the heads that break off.
His dealership removes the timing cover and replaces gaskets and bolts.
Another dealership he knows of only replaces the bolts as the gaskets are metal and will be oil tight once bolt pressure is reapplied.

Hmmm ... Aluminium bolts, I’m definitely surprised and maybe disappointed.
Seems like a problem that should never have happened.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Al bolts for Al block. Not the issue. The issue was the shearing point of the bolts. Guess they'd rather break off the bolt head than strip out the block.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
I’m pleased to report that Porsche is picking up 85% of the repair. 1500k is much easier to stomach vs 10K.
I probed the tech on the real issue and he stated it was a faulty bolt which have been replaced w/ a new spec’d replacement bolt. I think I’m buying an extended warranty just in case It’s all BS.
For what it’s worth my dealer has seen their fair share of this issue locally too. My guess is there are plenty of Macans running around with a leaky timing belt cover. It’s rather unfortunate for such an expensive car.

Chains - it's timing chains, used for the V6 engine - not belts. There's a BIG difference. Timing
belts typically have to be replaced every 60K - 100K miles or so. Failure to do so with interference
engine designs (most made today) can result in an engine failure in which the pistons collide with
open valves - when the timing synchronization is lost. :eek: :cry:

A timing belt solution is less expansive on the manufacturing end and doesn't require an oil bath.

Timing chains can stretch a bit over time and use an automatic tensioner to address this situation.
Eventually, even with a tensioner, it and the chains will require replacement. That's a very long
eventually - timing chains are anticipated to last a "lifetime" . :)

Also, FWIW, the number of affected Macans seems to be a pretty small percentage when one considers
the number of Macans sold since its introduction in 2014 - up to 6 years these cars have been on the road
(and soon to be 7). If it was truly widespread, we'd be reading about it more in the press/online/etc.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Timing cover bolt problem. After a quick scan of all posts I don’t think this has been mentioned.
My mate dropped in to see me the other day, he is a tech, 20 plus years at Porsche .
I asked a few things about macans in general as well as the timing cover leak.
He tells me Porsche use aluminium bolts for the timing cover and it’s the heads that break off.
His dealership removes the timing cover and replaces gaskets and bolts.
Another dealership he knows of only replaces the bolts as the gaskets are metal and will be oil tight once bolt pressure is reapplied.

Hmmm ... Aluminium bolts, I’m definitely surprised and maybe disappointed.
Seems like a problem that should never have happened.
The metal gaskets are one time crush gaskets - they have indents in them. They absolutely will not seal more than once. Retightening bolts will not work especially as the torque applied would be less than it was before as they were over torqued to begin with.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts