Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember about a year ago seeing a commercial on TV for Carvana . I had no idea what it was at first.
Here it is BTW

So time went by and with COVID this and others (now Vroom ) have become a popular phenomenon.
It's almost like car buying instacart . One picks a car, has a few days to return it , and it sure sounds convenient . As seen in the ad the experience is aimed at taking the drama out of going to a used car lot.

UNTIL one reads the reviews . Granted there are some which are very positive . In fact I know a person who bought a 2014 pickup truck and absolutely loved it and felt it was the easiest buying experience .

Much like with any dealership reviews sometimes the reviewer has unrealistic expectations . For instance I read one review by a person with an old high end car that she only paid 5K for and was insulted at the trade in she was offered with 60K miles on it.

None of the complaints were about ease of sale . Some were about trade in offers . Keep in mind trade in cars are sight unseen . A few complaints were about cars delivered with issues .

One thing they do guarantee is a car fax with no accident history .

Too convenient ? Too risky ? Man I took old fashioned to want an instant oatmeal Porsche delivery ?

BTW I looked at Vroom . Very nice prices .

Anyone ever buy a car like this ? Would anyone even consider it ?

This is all new to me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The idea of buying a used car sight unseen causes every red flag I have to go up.

I guess that’s somewhat mitigated by the ability to return it, and I guess during the return period you could have your mechanic inspect the car for problems, but is returning it that painless? What happens if you’ve taken out a loan? Seems like it could get very messy, and inhibit your ability to get another loan for a different car until it’s all straightened out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I was shopping for a Macan GTS I found one at Vroom and they were less than cooperative and would not negotiate the price at all. They said the pictures are the pictures. You have a week to decide if you keep it or not. That was not good enough for me for a $70K purchase.

Fortunately I then found the perfect GTS at a terrific dealership, Porsche of Palm Springs, got a great price and the deal worked out perfectly. So, maybe I am just an old man who wants to see the car and negotiate in person. Takes a little effort but it's always worth it. Nowadays people (mostly young) want to buy their "new" car while sitting on their couch at home. Not for me.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Yes, I buy lots of stuff online. BUT I only buy things that are easy to be returned if I don't like them. I also don't buy expensive things online. I would not buy an expensive watch online. I wouldn't buy anything too big that would be a hassle to return. Car is both too expensive and too big. I would only buy it if I see it before and am comfortable with the purchase.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I would not buy an expensive watch online.
I did. I bought my Cartier Calibre de Chronograph (W7100060) new from Jomashop online....and literally saved thousands.

But I agree I would not buy a used car online without seeing it personally....

Reactions: TXRed

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think this is targeted for the hipsters and those that just need a car. those that have gotten shafted before from dealers would never use this as an option.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority as I have virtually no hesitation to buy just about anything online. I bought my pre-owned MB CLS63 from a dealer nearly 1500 miles away and traded in my Jeep in the same transaction... they sent the car to my house and loaded up my Jeep for the trip back. Come to think of it, I bought my pre-owned Cayman from an online dealer in Beverly Hills without seeing a single picture.

Don't get me wrong, there's still measures that need to be taken to make sure that you're not being scammed, but I can't remember the last time I've set foot into a dealership to look at a vehicle, test drive, etc...

·
Registered
2020 Macan S / Volcano Grey / 2-Tone Mojave with Brushed Aluminum / PASM & PTV+ / 20" Spyders
19 Posts
I can't speak to Vroom but have a friend who bought through Carvana - and loved it. Said the process, including loan paperwork, was easy and painless, and he was totally comfortable with the return policy. The model seems to be geared torwards the younger generations who are much more comfortable with all manner of on-line commerce and prefer it in many cases. In fact, if I'm not able to help my own kids with their first car buying process then I'll likely suggest Carvana or the like. As far as trade-in's, you'll get whatever the various on-line resources (KBB, etc) value it at. They're all looking at the same dealer auction transactional data.

I personally enjoy the hunt for a good vehicle and the discussions around it - but I'm old fashioned.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I don't see myself ever using Carvana, Vroom, and other similar services.

OTOH, you could say that I bought our '18 Macan S online ... in the sense that I configured it via a web page, and never saw the car before picking it up, and having already paid for it before seeing it and picking it up, and never having gone to the selling dealership, and never having met the selling SA. This was an ordered car, and was delivered to the Atlanta PEC. Does that count?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I remember about a year ago seeing a commercial on TV for Carvana . I had no idea what it was at first.
Here it is BTW

So time went by and with COVID this and others (now Vroom ) have become a popular phenomenon.
It's almost like car buying instacart . One picks a car, has a few days to return it , and it sure sounds convenient . As seen in the ad the experience is aimed at taking the drama out of going to a used car lot.

UNTIL one reads the reviews . Granted there are some which are very positive . In fact I know a person who bought a 2014 pickup truck and absolutely loved it and felt it was the easiest buying experience .

Much like with any dealership reviews sometimes the reviewer has unrealistic expectations . For instance I read one review by a person with an old high end car that she only paid 5K for and was insulted at the trade in she was offered with 60K miles on it.

None of the complaints were about ease of sale . Some were about trade in offers . Keep in mind trade in cars are sight unseen . A few complaints were about cars delivered with issues .

One thing they do guarantee is a car fax with no accident history .

Too convenient ? Too risky ? Man I took old fashioned to want an instant oatmeal Porsche delivery ?

BTW I looked at Vroom . Very nice prices .

Anyone ever buy a car like this ? Would anyone even consider it ?

This is all new to me.
Not going to do it. Car buying for me isn't a chore but an experience. I like the negotiation, and definitely want to see and touch and drive what I'm buying.
I'm sure it's a great concept and works well for some. My daughter nearly went to work as a corporate Attorney for Carvana so I did a little home work on them. It doesn't work for me, of course used cars typically are not my thing.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Not going to do it. Car buying for me isn't a chore but an experience. I like the negotiation, and definitely want to see and touch and drive what I'm buying.
I'm sure it's a great concept and works well for some. My daughter nearly went to work as a corporate Attorney for Carvana so I did a little home work on them. It doesn't work for me, of course used cars typically are not my thing.
With that being said, I did buy my 911 on line with many phone calls and a Porsche dealer PPI.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think this is targeted for the hipsters and those that just need a car. those that have gotten shafted before from dealers would never use this as an option.
That does seem to be the premise of the advertisement . It is of course only related to used cars. What's interesting is the pricing of the high end cars like Porsche on Vroom . It's quite attractive . In short they are pricing in the haggle . They claim to back up the car with a return policy .

The reviews on the other hand of both seem to be extremely favorable when all is good . Things went south when things were not so good .

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
In 2016 one of the local newscasters here in Pittsburgh did a story on Carvana -

IIRC, after six days she decided she didn't want the car. She said the return was painless. One call with no pressure to keep the car and they came the next day to pick it up.

Reactions: yrralis1

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently SOLD my car to Carvana. It was fast, easy, and very customer centric.
I answered questions online about the car, took pictures of the odometer, title and my license.
I took my car to 3 dealers and had it appraised for trade in. Carvana offered me 26% more for my car.
Showed up, checked mileage and VIN, took my keys, handed me a certified check (my choice), and put the car on a transport and left.
I probably could have gotten a bit more selling it privately....but so many looky-loos plus current Covid19 environment....this was great.

·
Registered
2019 Macan S
5 Posts
I have sold Vroom a couple of cars and also bought a MB AMG from them. The prices I got on the sales were more than local dealers offered. I did not want to be bothered with trying to sell the cars myself, which I have done a number of times in the past.

The Mercedes I bought was low miles and had several years of factory warranty remaining and was in excellent condition. Both the sales and purchase were painless and went off as advertised.

I am in the process of having a Macan shipped to me that I also have not seen in person. This one is coming from a Porsche dealer in Texas.(y)

·
Registered
232 Posts
>>>OTOH, you could say that I bought our '18 Macan S online ...
Same boat . . . Our Macan was ordered 2 months before I ever sat in your S and, like you, we collected it at PEC Atlanta. The dealer I worked though was . . .well, the stereotypical car dealer . . . and I considered any premiums paid as simply the price of avoiding setting foot in a salesroom. We're looking for another Porsche now and I confess the dealer contact is the part that is most off putting. I'm leaving toward the Perimeter, PEC, drive home route. . . it really worked well.

I'd consider an online solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have sold Vroom a couple of cars and also bought a MB AMG from them. The prices I got on the sales were more than local dealers offered. I did not want to be bothered with trying to sell the cars myself, which I have done a number of times in the past.

The Mercedes I bought was low miles and had several years of factory warranty remaining and was in excellent condition. Both the sales and purchase were painless and went off as advertised.

I am in the process of having a Macan shipped to me that I also have not seen in person. This one is coming from a Porsche dealer in Texas.(y)
I ordered mine from Porsche San Antonio and had it shipped to San Diego a couple of weeks ago!
Let me know if you need a good shipping broker. I had mine shipped in a covered carrier.....

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I sold my Macan Turbo to Vroom. I was a little skeptical of the process and did my due diligence upfront, but overall I was happy with the service and would do it again. Not sure I would buy from them or any other service without seeing the car first (unless it was brand new of course), but then again, the only time I've purchased a used car was for my stepson. Not the smartest financially, but prefer new cars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts