Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ‘19 S with 35k miles. Volcano gray, red leather seats. Heated/ventilated 18-way. Sport chono, PTV+, PASM, roof rails, hitch, thermal/noise glass. Heated steering wheel, windshield heater, moon roof. It has what I think is a somewhat rare and desirable option list. I’m trying to trade it for a less expensive SUV simply to take advantage of what I think should be a good amount of equity. However, I’m getting offers around $52K. I feel this is worth quite a bit more. My local dealership offered only $52K to buy it outright with nothing on their lot! They could get $64K as a CPO, no? Am I being unreasonable expecting $59K? Curiuos what y’all are seeing out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Having many options doesn't really add much, if any, value to any car when you try to sell it wholesale (aka to a dealer). Wholesale values will account for highly popular options like the heated/ventilated seats, PASM, and moon roof. But options like the thermal/noise glass and windshield heater are likely worth $0 from a wholesale perspective.

That said, have you tried getting offers from Carmax and Carvana? I just went through this process to sell my BMW last week, and I too found the BMW dealer offers to be on the low-end. Carmax and Carvana were much higher, and very close to the KBB trade-in value (which is always unrealistically high, IMHO). I sold to my BMW dealer after they matched the Carmax offer.

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
I have a ‘19 S with 35k miles. Volcano gray, red leather seats. Heated/ventilated 18-way. Sport chono, PTV+, PASM, roof rails, hitch, thermal/noise glass. Heated steering wheel, windshield heater, moon roof. It has what I think is a somewhat rare and desirable option list. I’m trying to trade it for a less expensive SUV simply to take advantage of what I think should be a good amount of equity. However, I’m getting offers around $52K. I feel this is worth quite a bit more. My local dealership offered only $52K to buy it outright with nothing on their lot! They could get $64K as a CPO, no? Am I being unreasonable expecting $59K? Curiuos what y’all are seeing out there. Thanks.
They are going to be aggressive on the trade because they have nothing on the lot . Give give an example I traded a 911 and got 90 . They certified it and got 114 two weeks later. They made it very clear to me that they have the profit on the used cars. I was offered 93 from a private independent lot but that does not even a road the 7% tax credit that I got into the trade.

Your offer sounds about right. Making even more on more expensive cars. They’re asking over 300 GT cars cost $80,000 less. My suggestion is to keep your car or trade it in when you really wanna buy a new car. You can try and sell it privately but now you’ve got people coming over your house and kicking the tires and they don’t buy it and they want to lowball you just as bad as a dealership and not gong to make that much more. You’ll probably walk away with five grand extra but have to work for it. It’s awfully convenient to have them write a check and drive you home.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are going to be aggressive on the trade because they have nothing on the lot . Give give an example I traded a 911 and got 90 . They certified it and got 114 two weeks later. They made it very clear to me that they have the profit on the used cars. I was offered 93 from a private independent lot but that does not even a road the 7% tax credit that I got into the trade.

Your offer sounds about right. Making even more on more expensive cars. They’re asking over 300 GT cars cost $80,000 less. My suggestion is to keep your car or trade it in when you really wanna buy a new car. You can try and sell it privately but now you’ve got people coming over your house and kicking the tires and they don’t buy it and they want to lowball you just as bad as a dealership and not gong to make that much more. You’ll probably walk away with five grand extra but have to work for it. It’s awfully convenient to have them write a check and drive you home.
This is helpful, thanks. I have an appt with Carmax for an appraisal, but you are right about the taxes. A local Mercedes dealer offered to auction it for me, and I have final say to accept or not. They said it is national, and could result in a good price. Of course, auction house (and I am sure dealership) gets a cut. But I can use this option as a trade & save the taxes. I’m fuzzy on the details, but it can’t hurt to try.

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
This is helpful, thanks. I have an appt with Carmax for an appraisal, but you are right about the taxes. A local Mercedes dealer offered to auction it for me, and I have final say to accept or not. They said it is national, and could result in a good price. Of course, auction house (and I am sure dealership) gets a cut. But I can use this option as a trade & save the taxes. I’m fuzzy on the details, but it can’t hurt to try.
Auction prices are what a dealership is going to give you . i Independent dealerships tend to offer a little more.How far are you from Miami? I’ll send you the two independent dealerships and my own dealership and see what they give you. How much warranty is left on the car?Maybe someone from here can buy the car. Although I would not hold my breath on it. I would never sell a car on this forum unless the person was a regular who I knew was a sincere serious buyer. The problem is they already have a car. That’s why they’re here.

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
82 Posts
I have a 21 S (MSRP of $73k, specs in signature) with 22k miles on it and otherwise in great condition. I recently went to test drive a CPO '21 Macan GTS and the dealer gave me a soft appraisal of "around $60k" after the test drive (I wasn't interested in the GTS after the test drive and didn't push further on the appraisal #). I had also gotten 2 firm offers for it from another Porsche dealer and Vroom of $65k at the end of 2021 with mileage around 17k.

·
Registered
120 Posts
just search on carguru. seems like dealer prices range from high 50s to mid 60s. So dealer offering seems the norm. I'm sure you can push them for few additional grads.

But i think used car market is getting softer

·
Registered
190 Posts
2020 S, highly optioned (PASM, prem plus package, etc) with 13k miles. Always curious of value and carvana/shift has offered between $56k-$61k. Might be worth seeing that they offer as a baseline.

·
Registered
821 Posts
At the end of the day, it's still an S. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not talking smack about the S. If I were in the market for a used Macan, I'd take a high performance optioned S over a low optioned GTS (no PTV, no SC) because of the money savings. That's exactly what I did when I bought my Cayman. But from the used car market perspective, most people look by colors and trim level first. Options don't play as big of a part in value, especially on trade in, as many owners would like. A dealership isn't going to be too interested in hoping to just make $5K on a car. They have a ton of overhead and that $5K will likely be gone via the manpower for intake and reconditioning before they can make it back. Private party sale on enthusiast sites like Pcar Mart would likely be more fruitful but the work of listing it properly with GOOD photos will be on you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
At the end of the day, it's still an S. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not talking smack about the S. If I were in the market for a used Macan, I'd take a high performance optioned S over a low optioned GTS (no PTV, no SC) because of the money savings. That's exactly what I did when I bought my Cayman. But from the used car market perspective, most people look by colors and trim level first. Options don't play as big of a part in value, especially on trade in, as many owners would like. A dealership isn't going to be too interested in hoping to just make $5K on a car. They have a ton of overhead and that $5K will likely be gone via the manpower for intake and reconditioning before they can make it back. Private party sale on enthusiast sites like Pcar Mart would likely be more fruitful but the work of listing it properly with GOOD photos will be on you.
I agree. high options do not bring much value. Low mileage does probably more.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
NADA pricing indicates you're being low-balled (pricing done with "standard options" as none of the options you listed
were shown in the website to add (present) or subtract value (absent) for your MY Macan with 35K miles):

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
139 Posts
I found that driveway.com had much higher quotes than CarMax, Carvana and the others. Give them a shot.

Also, try different P dealers, some are more motivated than others.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The market has changed on used cars. Was just at my Porsche dealer last week visiting with my long time salesman. The market is changing because the economy. This dealer was cutting back on used car purchases as sales of used cars have slowed. New cars listed on websites- most are pre-sold before they arrive. We looked up the auction values on 2018 S and the auction prices have dropped about $8k on those in about 8 months. Those looking for high dollar on used cars likely missed the peak. I also took my 17 Lexus LS 460 to a dealer for a purchase appraisal and those prices dropped a couple grand . I don't plan to sell mine- its got Burmester, insulated glass premium plus and an electric steering column. I pirchased the 10 year Porsche warranty because I at least for now, plan to keep it. Love it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I just took 56K. Could I have gotten $58, maybe. But if this market has peaked, I’m happy to walk away from an $79K sticker having spent about $7.5K/year to own during what is typically the highest depreciation years. Great deal for 2021/22, maybe not. Great deal for normal times? Absolutely. See you all on the electric 718 forum in a few years…

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
Well, I just took 56K. Could I have gotten $58, maybe. But if this market has peaked, I’m happy to walk away from an $79K sticker having spent about $7.5K/year to own during what is typically the highest depreciation years. Great deal for 2021/22, maybe not. Great deal for normal times? Absolutely. See you all on the electric 718 forum in a few years…
Imagine living in Florida where an offer of 52K gets a tax credit into a higher priced car of 7 percent . Thats 56K (rounded) . Part of me thinks you'll buy the cheaper car and miss the Macan S .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Get offers from CarMax, Carvana, Vroom.

I have bought and sold many cars over the past two years. The most interesting thing is the cars are generally resold for $3-5k more than the offers. Not so with the Macan - it’s more like $10k+.

I am also surprised that “must have” options like PASM seem to offer no additional value for my trade. 90+% of cars on those platforms don’t have PASM, let alone air suspension. The most stripped down Macan 4 cyl is the best car for resale, in my experience.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I am also surprised that “must have” options like PASM seem to offer no additional value for my trade. 90+% of cars on those platforms don’t have PASM, let alone air suspension. The most stripped down Macan 4 cyl is the best car for resale, in my experience.
It's easy to forget that those of us on these forums are the exceptions. Most people simply don't care about performance options on a Macan especially when buying used. The Macan is considered by most normal people to just be the cheapest price of admission into a Porsche. And I agree, the highest financial return percentage is buying a CPO low optioned base and selling it with at least a year left on the CPO warranty.

Reactions: BlueBomber
1 - 19 of 19 Posts