Porsche Macan Forum banner

161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
I much prefer my '17 Macan S over my wife's Cayenne, but her 18 way seats vs my 14 way seats makes her tractor the vehicle of choice for longer hauls!
Agreed - if I had a choice between the two, I'd choose the Macan (and that's saying something, as the Cayenne is a marvellous SUV). Still, you're spoilt for choice when it comes to road trips - both would be superb tourers!

·
Registered
895 Posts
We just bought a 2020 MB C63S coupe, loaded. Personally, I prefer the Macan. It gives me a more 'secure' feeling on the road. We recently drove from Houston to Lubbock. That's an 8 hour drive. We drove the Macan (w/18-way seats). I cannot imagine trying that in the Mercedes. As beautiful as it is even with racing seats, the drive would kill me.
I traded in my 2015 Macan Turbo for a used 2018 Mercedes C63s Coupe 7 months ago. (The Macan had free flow airboxes, Remus exhaust, and a custom COBB ECU map - very fast aout 450 hp.) Why the trade? 1) The Macan had 43,000 mi. and the original owners factory maintenance plan had expired at 40,000 mi. 2) I was continuing to spend money trying to reach a performance level the C63s already had factory delivered. 3) I got a great deal at trade in time for the C63s with 3,000 mi.

A long trip is effortless for me. At 100mph+ the C63s is even smoother than the Macan was. The AMG seats are as comfortable as my Macan 18 way seats were. The C63s handling is much better at these speeds.

Macan Turbo : Friendly feel to car. Very relaxing easy to drive fast. Do it all capability. PDK transmission is fantastic.

Mercedes C63s Coupe : Incredible V8 is the car's focus. Wonderful handling – what I missed in my Macan. Factory performance exhaust sound is one of the best. I love the subtle but powerful appearance of the coupe and the interior is very beautiful. Exciting and demanding attention required to drive it - "the car wants to kill you if you leave your guard down." Track ready – very few drivers will reach the performance edge of this car. C63s transmission is fast but not as seamless as the Macan's PDK. I don't like the 'run flats', it comes with with no spare, although the performance of the Michelins are fantastic.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I much prefer my '17 Macan S over my wife's Cayenne, but her 18 way seats vs my 14 way seats makes her tractor the vehicle of choice for longer hauls!
I've always had 14-way seats in my Porsches. A few weeks ago, I got to experience the 18-way seats in a Taycan, and they seemed to have more latitude. For example, they could move higher and lower than my 14-way seats; do you find this to be true? What other advantages do you find in 18-way vs. 14-way seats? I'm wondering if I should order 18-way seats in my next Porsche... I do long road trips, so seating comfort is of paramount importance.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Haven't visited this forum since mid 2019....joined after ordering Macan S in early 2014 (delivered on launch day 5/14/14). Kept my Macan for LONG time (for me)...5 years. Loved my Macan, but disappointed in decision to go EV instead of redesign to newer platform. Wasn't keen on ordering a "new" Macan that wasn't substantially different but $10K more expensive. So looked elsewhere,,,everywhere. Decision narrowed to base Cayenne or X-5. (Cayenne S would have been my ideal choice, but couldn't justify (afford) pushing over $90K.)
Ended up choosing the X-5, and have been extremely satisfied with my decision. Solid, great electronics, and this B58 inline 6 with the ZF 8-speed is a fantastic powertrain. The only thing I miss is the great sound of those quad exhausts on the Macan....and the Macan styling.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Haven't visited this forum since mid 2019....joined after ordering Macan S in early 2014 (delivered on launch day 5/14/14). Kept my Macan for LONG time (for me)...5 years. Loved my Macan, but disappointed in decision to go EV instead of redesign to newer platform. Wasn't keen on ordering a "new" Macan that wasn't substantially different but $10K more expensive. So looked elsewhere,,,everywhere. Decision narrowed to base Cayenne or X-5. (Cayenne S would have been my ideal choice, but couldn't justify (afford) pushing over $90K.)
Ended up choosing the X-5, and have been extremely satisfied with my decision. Solid, great electronics, and this B58 inline 6 with the ZF 8-speed is a fantastic powertrain. The only thing I miss is the great sound of those quad exhausts on the Macan....and the Macan styling.
Welcome back! Fair enough, and congrats on going with the X5 - they're a terrific SUV! I always applaud people who are open to all possibilities, as it's easy to get caught up in in the whole 'brand loyalty' mentality. Conversely, I was in a somewhat similar situation - having owned a BMW for five years (an X1), I was tempted to go the X3/X4 route (and stay loyal to the brand), but deep down, I knew I truly desired a Macan. Suffice it to say, after test driving both and weighing up the differing options and differences between the two, I naturally went with the Macan. Ridiculously excited for the July delivery!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Welcome back! Fair enough, and congrats on going with the X5 - they're a terrific SUV! I always applaud people who are open to all possibilities, as it's easy to get caught up in in the whole 'brand loyalty' mentality. Conversely, I was in a somewhat similar situation - having owned a BMW for five years (an X1), I was tempted to go the X3/X4 route (and stay loyal to the brand), but deep down, I knew I truly desired a Macan. Suffice it to say, after test driving both and weighing up the differing options and differences between the two, I naturally went with the Macan. Ridiculously excited for the July delivery!
You'll love it....nothing like that cold startup sound every day

·
Registered
24 Posts
I traded my 2016 Macan S for a 2019 Cayenne in November. After a whopping 2 months of ownership, I traded the Cayenne for a Macan Turbo. Other than size, I feel like the Macan is a better vehicle in most every aspect. The Cayenne, while nice, just didn’t feel like a Porsche and was boring to drive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've always had 14-way seats in my Porsches. A few weeks ago, I got to experience the 18-way seats in a Taycan, and they seemed to have more latitude. For example, they could move higher and lower than my 14-way seats; do you find this to be true? What other advantages do you find in 18-way vs. 14-way seats? I'm wondering if I should order 18-way seats in my next Porsche... I do long road trips, so seating comfort is of paramount importance.
Sorry - was away on a ski vacation and missed this. For me the big selling point is the ability to make the bolstered sides grip me for a more "cocooned" feel - I haven't noticed more vertical latitude, although I don't think I have tried either. The downside to the 18-way (especially in the Cayenne) is that it feels like you have to climb up and over the seat sides to get in. But once you are in - you are cradled! Since my Macan feels sportier than the Cayenne I would prefer the lateral grip too. But 14-way seats are still way better than most things on the market!

·
Registered
25 Posts
You'll love it....nothing like that cold startup sound every day
Am I the only one who gets a little embarassed starting the car in the morning? This morning I left home at 6:45, and really felt bad when I heard the growl of the exhaust - especially since our neighbors' bedroom window is just over my driveway... And I only have the S...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Am I the only one who gets a little embarassed starting the car in the morning? This morning I left home at 6:45, and really felt bad when I heard the growl of the exhaust - especially since our neighbors' bedroom window is just over my driveway... And I only have the S...
My neighbor was used to my 2004 911 AE with Fister and prior to that a 2007 997 TT with Europipe (loud) - he actually thought the Macan with and without PSE had a better sound.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I’m in an odd position after buying my Macan 3 years ago. I contemplating parting ways with my Macan S. There is a Audi Etron Prestige edition that only has 3k miles on it that belonged to the dealership owner thats for sale. It’s going for a rather insanely low price for such a higher spec car. I know I’ll struggle with starting a car without the loud roar of the Macan, and the fact the Macan is a smaller car compared to the Etron, not to mention left hand/right hand issues, I already struggle when I get into any other car!

From everything I’ve read from everyone, there are some who miss it dearly, and those who are onto bigger (or smaller) things. It makes the decision if I want to move forward with the Etron even more difficult.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I’m in an odd position after buying my Macan 3 years ago. I contemplating parting ways with my Macan S. There is a Audi Etron Prestige edition that only has 3k miles on it that belonged to the dealership owner thats for sale. It’s going for a rather insanely low price for such a higher spec car. I know I’ll struggle with starting a car without the loud roar of the Macan, and the fact the Macan is a smaller car compared to the Etron, not to mention left hand/right hand issues, I already struggle when I get into any other car!

From everything I’ve read from everyone, there are some who miss it dearly, and those who are onto bigger (or smaller) things. It makes the decision if I want to move forward with the Etron even more difficult.
Hmm, quite the unique situation it seems. Suffice it to say, I would recommend (at the very least) taking the Etron for a significant test drive. No, it won't be enough to truly understand how it'll compare with the Macan long-term, but hopefully it'll help provide clarity regarding your dilemma. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Ahhhh! Congrats! Yes, the X4M is still on my short list... so I can def understand your choice. Still unsure where I want to go post-GTS. Doesn’t matter... right now, it’s my wife’s LR that’s about to get the boot if things don’t settle down quickly (and that’s with less than a year of ownership on it). Ugh.

Post up pics please, and Enjoy the new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXRed,

Not sure where you are at this point on the X4M deliberation. My wife had one for ~2 years and loved it. On paper, I think it was a smidge faster than my '15 S. In reality? I'm not sure. Either way, it was close enough to call it even. It didn't handle quite as well as the Macan, and of course the styling is definitely different. But at 6/10ths, it was just as good but different. It took me quite some time to get used to that whale of a tail. Overall, it was pretty responsive to the pedal and for only 2 years we had zero problems. Cold starts on the Bimmer were just as nice as the Macan. The Bimmer 6 definitely sounds different, but very pleasing. The one thing I dreaded about it was washing it. A) the rims were brutal on my hands and I always ended up with a few bruises from how sharp the spokes were. B) the body trim and molding wasn't as thought out as the Macan... I had to be real careful otherwise my microfiber towels were always snagging on projecting trim parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After 2-years of ownership I traded my 2015 Macan S for a new Ford F-150. That was a huge mistake! I missed the Macan a lot more than I thought I would. So I recently traded my 4-month old F-150 for a new 2018 Macan. I have come to realize how perfect of an SUV the Macan is for me. It has the right quality, the right look, the right size and for me it is one of the best driving SUV's on the market. I only thought I was tired of the Macan and it took buying the F-150 for me to appreciate the Macan even more.
Well the Ford F-150 is a completely different animal with its own appeal. I live in San Francisco so any pickup truck is completely inappropriate, spaces are tight, everything is moved for you, and there's just no room for it. I don't think there's one pickup truck for blocks around except belonging to gardeners or contractors. Grew up in Denver where every other vehicle is a pickup truck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No - went to a Tesla Model 3. Different yes. Very easy transition and like the Macan an amazing ride. The future is EV.
I was actually one click away from ordering a model 3 before I considered the Macan! In the end I don't think I'm ready for an EV yet,I think I would have range anxiety would cause me too much stress.

·
Registered
152 Posts
After much soul searching, and the more I read, I felt like the Etron was fraught with a LOT of issues, as well as lacking any emotional soul. Starting it up would be like turning on my laptop or my iPhone. In the end, I realized some point this year before the warranty of the Macan S goes up, I am going to move into a 718 Cayman GTS. Plan is to try and pick one up after the Flat 6 comes out and maybe a deal could be had for one. But then again, who knows with this global pandemic what will happen.

·
Registered
309 Posts
After much soul searching, and the more I read, I felt like the Etron was fraught with a LOT of issues, as well as lacking any emotional soul. Starting it up would be like turning on my laptop or my iPhone. In the end, I realized some point this year before the warranty of the Macan S goes up, I am going to move into a 718 Cayman GTS. Plan is to try and pick one up after the Flat 6 comes out and maybe a deal could be had for one. But then again, who knows with this global pandemic what will happen.
I absolutely know what you mean regarding the Etron - sure, it's clever and efficient, but compared to the raw emotion that any and all vehicles wearing a Porsche badge possess, it simply can't compete (subjectively speaking). Take the Cayman GTS for example - copious amounts of character and passion, and despite being a completely different type of vehicle compared to a Macan or Etron, it'll offer levels of enjoyment that the Audi wouldn't be able to replicate. Congratulations on your choice - enjoy in great health!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was actually one click away from ordering a model 3 before I considered the Macan! In the end I don't think I'm ready for an EV yet,I think I would have range anxiety would cause me too much stress.
I am not ready for an EV either. Tesla gave me a weekend with a model S last year. They even paid for two nights in nice hotels. Picked it up on Friday afternoon. On the way to the hotel my wife and I were thinking about buying one. The next day we were touring about in less tourist-heavy areas. We realized that our battery range was limiting us dramatically - we had to return to the hotel when we would have preferred to keep touring. On the ride home we had to stop and "fuel" the Tesla for 45 minutes. Would have been 5 minutes with a real car. No. EV is only for people who live in a big city and never leave it. When I dropped off the car the guy at the dealer seemed sure I was going to buy one. Had to say sorry, the car gets a 10/10, but infrastructure and range? 1/10. Call me when you fix it. I personally don't think that $80k is justified for a car that I can only use to commute to work. Our Cayenne has a 100 liter tank. It gets us really far and only takes 5 minutes to refill....

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I'm officially a past owner... sold my Macan about a month ago. I do miss it, but I also haven't been driving much at all since all the safer at home orders in LA began mid-March. I have a hard time thinking that any vehicle will be a better all around vehicle than my Macan Turbo.

Interesting this thread took a turn to the Model Y. We've had one on order since last Sept and they called me for delivery late March. I wasn't expecting it until mid-late summer and given that I just took delivery of my 992 in Feb, safer at home orders, way behind lease miles on the wife's X3, we postponed delivery until at least June. I still want it as my dd, but we'll see when the time comes around.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Driving to work lately with uncrowded roads in my '15 Macan S would make it extremely hard to part with my first Porsche.

Reactions: SportDesign and SJG
161 - 180 of 184 Posts