Porsche Macan Forum banner

141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Ahhhh! Congrats! Yes, the X4M is still on my short list... so I can def understand your choice. Still unsure where I want to go post-GTS. Doesn’t matter... right now, it’s my wife’s LR that’s about to get the boot if things don’t settle down quickly (and that’s with less than a year of ownership on it). Ugh.

Post up pics please, and Enjoy the new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I wanted the SUV-ness of the X3 vs. the crossover-ness of the X4. I'm always hauling stuff around, so the cargo area in the X3 was important. I wanted a unit without the spare tire. It adds a weird hump to the cargo bed that really drove me crazy every time I saw it in the cars we looked at. That bump eats a lot into the vertical space in the trunk area. I'm hoping I won't regret no spare tire, but we'll see. So far, so good!

Reactions: TXRed

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Here's the X3MC, along with a pic of it with its big brother, the Hubby's DD, an X5M. I was't aiming to replace my DBM Macan with another blue car, but it's the only color available that I liked!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Macanakey is Macan-a-less.

So, after a ton of deliberation & agony, I've replaced my Macan with an X3MC. I had a 2016 Macan, which I really loved, but didn't always love me back. I had a transfer case go around 6K miles, a sunroof drain hole plug that had water back into my battery compartment & short out some wiring, a wheel sensor fail that left me completely dead, some paint issues, & a couple of other minor problems. My warranty is due to expire next month. We seriously considered buying an extended warranty. Thanks to @Hokie for his help on that, but ultimately decided that the Macan probably wasn't a long-term keeper with its known issues. The Hubster was concerned that the water intrusion would bring more electrical gremlins down the road & he was worried that I'd get stranded again somewhere. It made more sense to get rid of the Macan while it still had a bit of warranty left & was worth a hair more.

We considered ordering a new Macan, but ultimately opted to look at the X3 & I really liked it. I picked up my vehicle yesterday from BMW of Asheville. They had the one vehicle that met all my criteria, gave us an excellent trade value, & provided great service during the sales process. They didn't even push all the extended warranties, etc. Their finance guy had recently come over from a Porsche dealership, so that was funny. It's bittersweet to give up my Macan, but I'm really happy with the X3. I'm sure I'll be back to the Macan at some point down the road, & we still have the 911s, so I'm still in the family. I'm planning to hang around on the Forum, since I enjoy this group a lot. I'll take some pics & get them posted, along with the details, here later today.

As an aside, what the heck with with the grand state of South Carolina & its inability to expand I-95 to 3 or more lanes? I-95 was a 2-lane parking lot through the whole state. Our trip took an extra 1.5 hours thanks to that crap. No accidents, just heavy traffic & idiots cutting in & out to get one car length ahead, making everyone slow down to adjust to that stupidity. Warning: when I'm supreme ruler of the universe, there'll be a lot of infractions that will be punishable by instant death.
@Macanakey, congrats on the X3! I'm sure it will serve you well. We had ( I think) 13 BMWs, and loved most of them; a few problems here and there, but what most annoyed me was the 'rock hard' run-flat tires. If you have them, 'rock-on' in good health and safe journeys!:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's the X3MC, along with a pic of it with its big brother, the Hubby's DD, an X5M. I was't aiming to replace my DBM Macan with another blue car, but it's the only color available that I liked! View attachment 228380 View attachment 228381 View attachment 228382
That is stunning congrats. If I didn’t set somewhat of a budget (bought CPO 2017) this would have been on the list. Saw one at the gym the other day and it made my heart skip a beat, which made me feel almost guilty since my car is less than 2 months old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
We just bought a 2020 MB C63S coupe, loaded. Personally, I prefer the Macan. It gives me a more 'secure' feeling on the road. We recently drove from Houston to Lubbock. That's an 8 hour drive. We drove the Macan (w/18-way seats). I cannot imagine trying that in the Mercedes. As beautiful as it is even with racing seats, the drive would kill me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
So, I just stumbled on something interesting - My Macan appears to be back for sale at the local dealership I purchased it from, although it was traded in to a BMW dealership in another state. There's a lot of repair history missing from the Carfax - all warranty repairs done by the dealer. So, anyone looking at the report wouldn't know that the transfer case had been replaced, that I'd had electrical issues with the battery wiring shorting out, thanks to the drain hole clogs, that I've had paint fixed under warranty, etc. The Carfax entries for those dates just say that the vehicle was serviced at those dates.

I took my Remus exhaust off before trading in the car & Carfax already shows a service at Midas for that.

The listing at the dealer also says that it's a local trade. It's not - I traded it out of state to a dealer that wholesaled it back to the one here. Both are Fields dealers, so I guess Fields just moves cars they take in trade to one of their stores, if they can. I guess it just makes me leery of ever buying a used car from them. Am I really that naive to expect that those major issues would be reported to Carfax?

Reactions: cooljellow

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
@Macanakey, congrats on the X3! I'm sure it will serve you well. We had ( I think) 13 BMWs, and loved most of them; a few problems here and there, but what most annoyed me was the 'rock hard' run-flat tires. If you have them, 'rock-on' in good health and safe journeys!:)
No run-flats, thankfully. I loathe those too. Summer tires are all they're putting on the X3Ms. We've had many BMWs over the years too. They are great cars & it's nice to be back to them after a several-year hiatus.

Reactions: Hokie

·
Registered
35 Posts
There's a lot of repair history missing from the Carfax - all warranty repairs done by the dealer. The Carfax entries for those dates just say that the vehicle was serviced at those dates. Am I really that naive to expect that those major issues would be reported to Carfax?
I wouldn't say you are naive. How about overly trusting? I bought a Mazda truck from Carmax several years ago. My Carfax had the same type of details. It was obvious that the passenger door had been repainted. Silver can be very difficult to match correctly. There was no mention of any collisions or repair work for that. I brought it to the salesman's attention and he just shrugged. Long story short, I bought the truck anyway. I estimate I overpaid +/-$1,200 (on $12K vehicle) buying from Carmax. It checked all of the boxes for what I was looking for. I have put 50K (daily driver) on it in 5+ years and still very happy with it.

IMO, the value of a Carfax report is over rated. Do your own 'due diligence' or pay for an independent PPI from a reputable shop on any used vehicle north of $10K.

Safe travels

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
No run-flats, thankfully. I loathe those too. Summer tires are all they're putting on the X3Ms. We've had many BMWs over the years too. They are great cars & it's nice to be back to them after a several-year hiatus.
@Macanakey, I just saw the X3 pix. Gorgeous!

Reactions: Macanakey

·
Registered
189 Posts
We just bought a 2020 MB C63S coupe, loaded. Personally, I prefer the Macan. It gives me a more 'secure' feeling on the road. We recently drove from Houston to Lubbock. That's an 8 hour drive. We drove the Macan (w/18-way seats). I cannot imagine trying that in the Mercedes. As beautiful as it is even with racing seats, the drive would kill me.
Congrats! I love my Macan so far. But when it comes to next car, C63 is definitely on my short list.

I have never driven or ride in an AMG. I'm always curious how stiff the ride is. How does the Comfort mode in C63 compare to the Sport+ mode in Macan?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
If you've moved on from the Macan, why on earth would you be on this forum?
There are numerous active forum members who are former Macan owners. Great group of knowledgeable car enthusiasts here, and over time some of us have come to know each other quite well. Why not?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Here's the X3MC, along with a pic of it with its big brother, the Hubby's DD, an X5M. I was't aiming to replace my DBM Macan with another blue car, but it's the only color available that I liked! View attachment 228380 View attachment 228381 View attachment 228382
Macanakey, congrats! Just saw your post this morning. That would be my color choice too.

If I had to replace my Turbo today, your car would be on my short list. We also own an X5 V8, but it's not an M. Like both the Macan and the X5 for different reasons. How would you compare the X3M to the X5M?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Macanakey, congrats! Just saw your post this morning. That would be my color choice too.

If I had to replace my Turbo today, your car would be on my short list. We also own an X5 V8, but it's not an M. Like both the Macan and the X5 for different reasons. How would you compare the X3M to the X5M?
Thanks. 3 weeks later, I'm finally reaching on the right side to start the car, but still using my left hand to turn if off! I'd considered Toronto Red, which is an M exclusive color, but it's too orange-y for me. I wish they'd offered up more of a Carmine-type red. Our 2005 X5 was Imola Red & that was a gorgeous color. I would have gladly taken that again.

X3MC has a much firmer ride than the X5M does. Almost too firm, but that's what all the reviews we'd read said, so it's no surprise. The hubby had thought about trading cars with me, but decided not to after driving the X3, just because of the firmness. I'm hoping it softens up a bit as it breaks in. Many of Bimmerpost guys say that it does. The X5 feels like a bigger, more solid car than the X3 does, as it should. Fit & finish in the X5 are a couple of notches higher. The X5 has full leather - dash, doors, etc. The X3 really should, at its price point. I think it cheapens the look to have vinyl there.

X3M seats are tighter than the X5's. More sport seats vs. comfort seats. My MC has M Sport seats, which are even tighter than the regular M seats are. I've seen a few guys on Bimmerpost indicate that they went with the M rather than the MC because the found the competition seats too tight. Fortunately, I'm a smaller person, so they're fine for me. They're not as adjustable as my 18-way Macan seats were, which is a bummer.

The X5's V8 sounds better than the X3. I've got the sport exhaust, but it's not nearly as nice & growly as my Remus was. The Hubby has complained that he doesn't hear me pull into the driveway if I don't have the sport exhaust on. That's may not be bad, because it's easier sneak up on him!

The X3 is wicked fast, though. Deceptively, so. I've got to keep an eye on the speedo, or i find that I'm going much faster than I think I am. It handles really well too, because of its size. It really is a better size for me. It feels much roomier than the Macan, even though it's about the same size as the Macan. I'll continue to post, as I get more familiar with the car. I've got a short commute & my busy season is gearing up, so I'm not going to have much opportunity to enjoy it for a while.

What MY is your X5?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Thanks. 3 weeks later, I'm finally reaching on the right side to start the car, but still using my left hand to turn if off! I'd considered Toronto Red, which is an M exclusive color, but it's too orange-y for me. I wish they'd offered up more of a Carmine-type red. Our 2005 X5 was Imola Red & that was a gorgeous color. I would have gladly taken that again.

X3MC has a much firmer ride than the X5M does. Almost too firm, but that's what all the reviews we'd read said, so it's no surprise. The hubby had thought about trading cars with me, but decided not to after driving the X3, just because of the firmness. I'm hoping it softens up a bit as it breaks in. Many of Bimmerpost guys say that it does. The X5 feels like a bigger, more solid car than the X3 does, as it should. Fit & finish in the X5 are a couple of notches higher. The X5 has full leather - dash, doors, etc. The X3 really should, at its price point. I think it cheapens the look to have vinyl there.

X3M seats are tighter than the X5's. More sport seats vs. comfort seats. My MC has M Sport seats, which are even tighter than the regular M seats are. I've seen a few guys on Bimmerpost indicate that they went with the M rather than the MC because the found the competition seats too tight. Fortunately, I'm a smaller person, so they're fine for me. They're not as adjustable as my 18-way Macan seats were, which is a bummer.

The X5's V8 sounds better than the X3. I've got the sport exhaust, but it's not nearly as nice & growly as my Remus was. The Hubby has complained that he doesn't hear me pull into the driveway if I don't have the sport exhaust on. That's may not be bad, because it's easier sneak up on him!

The X3 is wicked fast, though. Deceptively, so. I've got to keep an eye on the speedo, or i find that I'm going much faster than I think I am. It handles really well too, because of its size. It really is a better size for me. It feels much roomier than the Macan, even though it's about the same size as the Macan. I'll continue to post, as I get more familiar with the car. I've got a short commute & my busy season is gearing up, so I'm not going to have much opportunity to enjoy it for a while.

What MY is your X5?
Thanks for the detailed reply. Our X5 is a 2011. Yep, one of the things I like on the X5 is that V8 rumble. And the best thing we did on the X5 was to ditch the run flats. Also a fan of Imola Red, although my favorite BMW colors are Tanzanite Blue, Azurite Black. and Carbon Black.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply. Our X5 is a 2011. Yep, one of the things I like on the X5 is that V8 rumble. And the best thing we did on the X5 was to ditch the run flats. Also a fan of Imola Red, although my favorite BMW colors are Tanzanite Blue, Azurite Black. and Carbon Black.
We had a Carbon Black M3 some years ago. It had a cinnamon interior. The combo was of the prettiest cars we've owned.

Reactions: Shark

·
Registered
189 Posts

What MY is your X5?
Great post! I see you mentioned busy season. Guess you're in public accounting or financial reporting? :)

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Great post! I see you mentioned busy season. Guess you're in public accounting or financial reporting? :)
Yep. The Spousal Unit & I are CPAs in practice together. Good thing, or we'd never see each other!

·
Registered
309 Posts
How fascinating! I often wonder about situations like this as I'm quite partial to road trips, and being 6'2 (and quite skinny), comfort over longer periods is vital. I've got a 2020 Macan on order - suffice it to say the 18-way seats were a must (as I prefer them over the standard 14-way here in Australia).

·
Registered
25 Posts
How fascinating! I often wonder about situations like this as I'm quite partial to road trips, and being 6'2 (and quite skinny), comfort over longer periods is vital. I've got a 2020 Macan on order - suffice it to say the 18-way seats were a must (as I prefer them over the standard 14-way here in Australia).
I much prefer my '17 Macan S over my wife's Cayenne, but her 18 way seats vs my 14 way seats makes her tractor the vehicle of choice for longer hauls!

141 - 160 of 184 Posts