Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like, do you TRULY miss it?

I started thinking about this lately.... what my honest impression of my Macan experience is now. How fondly does my most natural instinct paint my time with it.

Keep in mind, being that I went to the "holy grail" 911, it would speak a LOT to the Macan's virtues if I were to miss it.

So do I miss it? Being that I sold it because I wanted something less utilitarian / DD friendly, more hobby/weekend/fun/quirky/visceral, I can't say I do in the sense where I long to get back into it (don't chalk that up to a knock against the Macan as much as a testament to the 911). If I had a GTS with the louder exhaust (my Macan's quietness was one of the leading factors inspiring me to want to switch out) and tighter suspension, would I have made the move to the 911? That's a tough one, maybe not?

Time will tell whether I actually want to get back INTO a Macan.

Therefore, for now, the most honest assessment is how my memory has me feel inside when I think of it. And to answer that in as honest a way I can: A couple of days ago I recalled how it felt to get into my Macan and drive it, "own it," have it at my disposal. It made me feel extremely privileged to have experienced such a car. The way it took care of being either a boring DD or a fun and tossably confident backroad instrument is remarkable. How it walked a line of being an understated "premium-blend in" car yet also rich and exotic via its classic Porsche proportions is a feat nary a 4 door can pull off. My 911 is an absolute ball as it gets so much attention, sounds symphonically raucous and is like a personal gem of toy in that driving it spiritedly is so fun it's a hobby and sport unto itself. Yet I still look back at the Macan and feel like "WOW, that was a good car, I can't believe I was fortunate enough to experience it."

I tend to miss most of my previous cars in the sense where I have fond memories and feelings about them. And being that at 2.5 years, my Macan was the longest I've held a car within the past 8 years, I still feel like I had so much more to get out of it (only 15K miles can speak to that). Crazy as it sounds, being that driving a 911 spiritedly whenever you want is one of the greatest privileges and feelings a car enthusiast can ever dream of (seriously, I still can't believe I get to do it.. Even WHILE I'm doing it I'm in disbelief that "I'm wringing a friggin' 911 out right now!"), I STILL sometimes miss that sensation of an SUV defying physics and running through corners in that distinct "detached yet attached" sensation the Macan conveys so distinctly.

To add another layer to this.... I sort of want to take a Macan through some "twisties" again, as I wonder if I would think completely differently about it now, being acclimated to a 911. Regardless, what sticks out above all when I think back to it is how well engineered of an all around vehicle it is.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I would miss my Macan so immensely than when my Turbo was crashed I didnt even wait for it to get fixed . I replaced it on the next day !!! In Hurricane Irma my two 911's sat in a hurricane proof garage while my Macan was my "go-to" car of choice . It carried us through debris , rain , and even was my Air Conditioned relief when I lost electricity and sat in an 88 degree house .

i know you cant imagine hearing it but it's the Macan that ran off with all of Porsches sales . Now every luxury exotic wants to cater to those who fell in love with the practical nature of the CUV .

Could i live without it ? sure !! Would i want to ? No . If I had to choose only one ? It would still be a 911 !! But i would miss the Macan !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Like, do you TRULY miss it?

I started thinking about this lately.... what my honest impression of my Macan experience is now. How fondly does my most natural instinct paint my time with it.

Keep in mind, being that I went to the "holy grail" 911, it would speak a LOT to the Macan's virtues if I were to miss it.

So do I miss it? Being that I sold it because I wanted something less utilitarian / DD friendly, more hobby/weekend/fun/quirky/visceral, I can't say I do in the sense where I long to get back into it (don't chalk that up to a knock against the Macan as much as a testament to the 911). If I had a GTS with the louder exhaust (my Macan's quietness was one of the leading factors inspiring me to want to switch out) and tighter suspension, would I have made the move to the 911? That's a tough one, maybe not?

Time will tell whether I actually want to get back INTO a Macan.

Therefore, for now, the most honest assessment is how my memory has me feel inside when I think of it. And to answer that in as honest a way I can: A couple of days ago I recalled how it felt to get into my Macan and drive it, "own it," have it at my disposal. It made me feel extremely privileged to have experienced such a car. The way it took care of being either a boring DD or a fun and tossably confident backroad instrument is remarkable. How it walked a line of being an understated "premium-blend in" car yet also rich and exotic via its classic Porsche proportions is a feat nary a 4 door can pull off. My 911 is an absolute ball as it gets so much attention, sounds symphonically raucous and is like a personal gem of toy in that driving it spiritedly is so fun it's a hobby and sport unto itself. Yet I still look back at the Macan and feel like "WOW, that was a good car, I can't believe I was fortunate enough to experience it."

I tend to miss most of my previous cars in the sense where I have fond memories and feelings about them. And being that at 2.5 years, my Macan was the longest I've held a car within the past 8 years, I still feel like I had so much more to get out of it (only 15K miles can speak to that). Crazy as it sounds, being that driving a 911 spiritedly whenever you want is one of the greatest privileges and feelings a car enthusiast can ever dream of (seriously, I still can't believe I get to do it.. Even WHILE I'm doing it I'm in disbelief that "I'm wringing a friggin' 911 out right now!"), I STILL sometimes miss that sensation of an SUV defying physics and running through corners in that distinct "detached yet attached" sensation the Macan conveys so distinctly.

To add another layer to this.... I sort of want to take a Macan through some "twisties" again, as I wonder if I would think completely differently about it now, being acclimated to a 911. Regardless, what sticks out above all when I think back to it is how well engineered of an all around vehicle it is.
I don’t think many or anyone in that matter would disagree with you going from a Macan to a 911. A less biased comparison would be a downgrade from the Macan or lateral move into another brand. Would the Macan be missed then?

Also, if that time came and you needed another DD/hauler with the performance what other direction would go ? Macan is hard to beat

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I do not miss the Macan. I've actually grown tired of the look and don't care for it as much as I did 2 years ago.

I've bought 5 cars since. I think. It's hard to keep track.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
After 2-years of ownership I traded my 2015 Macan S for a new Ford F-150. That was a huge mistake! I missed the Macan a lot more than I thought I would. So I recently traded my 4-month old F-150 for a new 2018 Macan. I have come to realize how perfect of an SUV the Macan is for me. It has the right quality, the right look, the right size and for me it is one of the best driving SUV's on the market. I only thought I was tired of the Macan and it took buying the F-150 for me to appreciate the Macan even more.

·
Registered
611 Posts
After 2-years of ownership I traded my 2015 Macan S for a new Ford F-150. That was a huge mistake! I missed the Macan a lot more than I thought I would. So I recently traded my 4-month old F-150 for a new 2018 Macan. I have come to realize how perfect of an SUV the Macan is for me. It has the right quality, the right look, the right size and for me it is one of the best driving SUV's on the market. I only thought I was tired of the Macan and it took buying the F-150 for me to appreciate the Macan even more.
Wow that was a bummer.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I do not miss the Macan. I've actually grown tired of the look and don't care for it as much as I did 2 years ago.

That's actually less blunt and harsh than I expected from you bud lol. Any of those 5 vehicles an SU or CUV? S6 no longer in the corral?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Oh I knew YOU didn’t miss the Macan. :p

·
Registered
6,111 Posts

At the risk of insulting Macan owners, I partially feel the same way. While every time I see a Porsche I look at it, most often at Macans to see if I can tell if they are Turbos or GTS or S or base, I also look at it and feel it's kinda small. And I was behind an S tonight and I really didn't like the fact the lower valance is not painted.

Yes, it handles great, is fast, great seating, and I really liked mine. I don't miss it as much as I miss the PDK, as that was the first time I ever heard of a PDK. It is something very special for sure.

I'd say you got the wrong F150. ;) I traded my Macan for a Raptor. I love the Raptor. I just wished I lived where I could take it off road more often. Yes, this past August we did drive out to Utah and went off roading a lot, but it's not enough.

And the only time I wish I was back in the Porsche is under hard breaking where those big knobby tires will squirrel around a bit.

But for the most part, the truck has made me a more sedate (read: safer) driver, which is a good thing.

Cars, at least for me, are disposable items. If I grow tired of the Raptor, I'll sell or trade it in and get something else that tickles my fancy. I've been staring at the new Panamera a lot lately.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a Macan S while living in Portland. We then moved to Bend, OR and after a year of Bend-life, I decided to get a Land Cruiser--bigger and more resilient to any road conditions.

I love the Land Cruiser (380 hp, but oh so heavy) but miss the excitement I felt driving the Macan, so am now looking to buy a GTS--my wife thinks I'm nuts.

Frankly, I would prefer buying something else rather than going back to something I already owned. However, I want a car for which there is local service, especially when it comes to warranty coverage, and I want it to be fun to drive--have not find anything better than the Macan that meets these parameters.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've only owned my Macan for 6 months and could not be more pleased with it so far. However, I doubt that I will miss it when its time to go. I keep cars for 4 to 5 years, so by the time I trade, I am ready for something fresh and different. In 4 or 5 years, I will have regained from my 3 driving-aged children enough driveway and garage space for me to have a daily driver and a fun/impractical car. If the Macan treats me well, the fun car will likely have a Porsche badge on the hood.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I've only owned my Macan for 6 months and could not be more pleased with it so far. However, I doubt that I will miss it when its time to go. I keep cars for 4 to 5 years, so by the time I trade, I am ready for something fresh and different. In 4 or 5 years, I will have regained from my 3 driving-aged children enough driveway and garage space for me to have a daily driver and a fun/impractical car. If the Macan treats me well, the fun car will likely have a Porsche badge on the hood.
Porsche seems to manage this quite interestingly . When a car is redesigned it may have similarities in cosmetics but driving them does feel like a fresh and different car . That's why quite often one sees repeat buyers .

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I really miss my Macan and so does the wife. This past August I traded my 2015 Macan S with 30k miles for a 2018 Audi SQ5 because of a need to relocate to California to take care of elderly parents. I needed a little more cargo space and easier egress for elderly passengers. I hoped that the wife would eventually make the SQ5 her car. Boy was I wrong! She hates it compared to the Macan, even though she was a little bit afraid of driving the Porsche. She hates the SQ5 ride (on 21s with air suspension), the sport seats, the hard closing doors, the auto-shutoff engine (must be deselected each time you start the car), the steering (too sensitive), the stupid touchpad/knob user interface. Shall I go on? Now I don’t mind driving it. It handles well enough. The performance in Dynamic mode is close to the Macan S. I think the Audi sport seats are more comfortable than the Macan 14-way seats. The B&O sound system is much better than the BOSE system on the Macan. Visibility is better. It has CarPlay, thank goodness, because the Audi Nav voice control is atrocious. So, I’m pretty content to drive the SQ5, but...it’s not a Porsche. I miss the beautiful lines of the Macan, especially the backend. I miss the sound of the Macan. I miss the PDK which delivers power so smoothly, especially when you jump on it. I miss the handling and ride. I miss the respect other vehicles give you when you drive a Porsche. Many actually get out of your way when you come up behind them quickly! So, there you have it. Looks like the wife would prefer a new Honda CRV AWD for herself. Oh well. So, I will keep driving the Audi until the 2019/20 Macan comes out. Then I’m planning to return to the fold! ;)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
That's actually less blunt and harsh than I expected from you bud lol. Any of those 5 vehicles an SU or CUV? S6 no longer in the corral?
Lol. I don’t mean to be harsh. The Macan just “is what it is”. I think I like my vehicles to be less versatile and more specialized. The S6 is in the garage still, and it’s a tremendous highway car.

The latest addition to the fleet is a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero w a 2” lift. The big Montero, not the “sport” version. It’s 100% SUV

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really miss my Macan and so does the wife. This past August I traded my 2015 Macan S with 30k miles for a 2018 Audi SQ5 because of a need to relocate to California to take care of elderly parents. I needed a little more cargo space and easier egress for elderly passengers. I hoped that the wife would eventually make the SQ5 her car. Boy was I wrong! She hates it compared to the Macan, even though she was a little bit afraid of driving the Porsche. She hates the SQ5 ride (on 21s with air suspension), the sport seats, the hard closing doors, the auto-shutoff engine (must be deselected each time you start the car), the steering (too sensitive), the stupid touchpad/knob user interface. Shall I go on? Now I don’t mind driving it. It handles well enough. The performance in Dynamic mode is close to the Macan S. I think the Audi sport seats are more comfortable than the Macan 14-way seats. The B&O sound system is much better than the BOSE system on the Macan. Visibility is better. It has CarPlay, thank goodness, because the Audi Nav voice control is atrocious. So, I’m pretty content to drive the SQ5, but...it’s not a Porsche. I miss the beautiful lines of the Macan, especially the backend. I miss the sound of the Macan. I miss the PDK which delivers power so smoothly, especially when you jump on it. I miss the handling and ride. I miss the respect other vehicles give you when you drive a Porsche. Many actually get out of your way when you come up behind them quickly! So, there you have it. Looks like the wife would prefer a new Honda CRV AWD for herself. Oh well. So, I will keep driving the Audi until the 2019/20 Macan comes out. Then I’m planning to return to the fold! ;)
I hate to relish in your relative disappointment, but I loved reading that. :D

·
Registered
636 Posts
When I think about selling my Turbo and buying something else the remedy is simple.

I test drive a couple of other cars.

Nothing comes close.

Some do not even get to the test drive stage, they fail the sit in test.

The Mustang 5.0 went down in flames, the interior is like a candy shop, its cheap and nasty.

·
Registered
839 Posts
When I think about selling my Turbo and buying something else the remedy is simple.

I test drive a couple of other cars.

Nothing comes close.

Some do not even get to the test drive stage, they fail the sit in test.
Ive only owned mine for 4 months and test drove a bunch of cars including some 911s since i got it. I still cant see myself parting with it any time soon. Its just too good. I was smiling driving home tonight. Just bought a steering wheel upgrade and looking forward to that as well...
Gonna try and hold on to it as long as i can before i get a 991.2 (probably used, with boogers on it, sorry larry :) ). Need to let the accounts swell a little first, but in the meantime the macan is by far the best car ive ever owned, hands down.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Sometimes I think the Macan is too compact (as in small) and other times I feel it's just perfect. The Cobb AP certainly is a big part of the perfectness, as also the GTS model.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts