Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
There's Power Steering Plus, which is software.

Search the forum for additional information. Essentially it lightens the steering effort
at high speeds. My Macan doesn't have it and the steering is just fine at all speeds.

I'd read that US models have it included by default. Since mine came from Canada (where
it's an option), it's lacking the PSP.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
I thought it lightens the effort at LOW speeds. Am I incorrect?
correct - it lightens the steering at low speeds.

BTW I have it in my Macan S And I’m not fond of it. I’m actually thinking of having it disabled. Read post #3 in this thread.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Macan GTS .2

Listing the .2 GTS update for reference.

Engine
  • Twin-turbocharged V6 2.9L 375hp / 383 lb-ft (detuned .2 Turbo engine)
Performance
  • Top speed: 261km/h / 163.1mph
Power Transmission
  • Final Drive Ratio FA 4.13 vs (3.88 .1 GTS)
  • Final Drive Ratio RA 4.67 vs (4.40 .1 GTS)
Dimension / Weight
  • Length: 184.5"
  • Width (with exterior mirrors): 76.2" (82.6")
  • Height: 63.0" vs (64.0" other Macan variant)
  • Wheelbase: 110.6"
  • Front Track: 65.0" vs (65.2" .2 S, 64.8" .2 Turbo)
  • Rear Track: 65.3" vs (65.0" .2 S, 65.2" .2 Turbo)
  • Curb weight: 4,370 lb

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Just got my slot for Aug delivery. We're keeping the 2015 S. So I'll write a review here after I've compared them side by side. Maybe not a fair comparison since the model years don't match but will try to adjust for that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Na, im still not convinced. Simply and intake and exhaust will put S in the GTS hp territory. Coilovers or lowering link will make S handle just as well as GTS, if not better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So you think you can build a better car than Porsche? Personally I doubt it
But even if you do resale will not be the same
Never said i could.......😅😅😅😅😅Anywho, i plan to keep mine long term. Thus, I'll modify mine to perform better than the GTS, if not, close to Turbo territory.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Alex, I applaud you for digging out this info. What you discovered is how PAG adds HP, the old fashioned way. Unlike chipping, they just don’t turn up the boost but gave it a more radical cam, increased the breathing, modify the exhaust, modified the pistons to handle the boost, and modified the PDK. This is the inherent flaw with getting cheap HP with chips. This increase is the same fundamental approach they use with the X51 kit for a 911. They make power the old fashioned way: increase breathing, more radical cam, polish the heads, and exhaust.

Good job in digging this out.

But I got to take exception to your base Carrera vs GT3 analogy. Sorry, not even close. If you can’t tell the difference in daily driving between the two, there is something really wrong with the driver. Just a “few” examples:

A. The tires. The GT3 comes with R compounds unsuited for rain and can be dangerous below 45. At 20 they can crack. The Carrera has normal street production tires

B. The suspension is radically different. You can corner balance the GT3. A base Carrera rear spring rate is 45nm. A SPASM S is 108nm. I don’t know the GT3 number but the bushings are even harder. Yes, you will notice this.

C. The GT3 wheels are center locks requiring 443 ft to break. Good luck with that.

D. A GT3 is much lower requiring a front axle lift to be reasonable on the street. You will rip the front end off with a low break over angle. Imagine every time you turn into anything with an angle you need to raise the front end.

E. A 3.4 Carrera engine wails. A GT3 engine screams with a 9,000 rpm redline. Absolutely NO comparison. Yes, you will notice this. Its hard not to.

F. The PDK is PDK-S, not regular PDK

In other words, you WILL know the difference driving to MdDonalds (not to mention the huge wing so you can’t see all that good out the back :eek:)

But I get your point. Good job. :)
9k to McDonalds......all is good in the world.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think really what you should be asking when deciding between the models is: is the gts price tag (new) worth it over the s? We know it has more than just looks over the s and the gts holds its value better but im not convinced it’s worth it when you can pretty much get a turbo for just a smidge more especially if it’s used they are almost the same price and a used s can be had in the 30s.

My point is, if you’re spending money on a sport suv because you want it to be fast and sporty and I think we can all agree the turbo is indeed faster, then why would you choose the gts over the turbo if they can be had for very similar prices? And if that’s not what you’re after why wouldn’t you just get an s? The gts fits a niche audience I think. Not a hater of the gts because they are gorgeous machines, just don’t see the logic for most situations. Has anyone done a track lap time comparison between the 3? Not really sure why anyone would buy this car to track cuz I’m guessing a Miata would put down a faster lap time but still curious.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Could not agree more. We own both a GTS and Turbo, and while we love both there is a substantial difference in the way the cars drive because the engines make their power so differently.

What I really miss when I drive the GTS is the Turbo’s massive low end torque. The GTS is not that much slower, but it feels like it’s being overtaxed to keep up with the Turbo. The Turbo has such effortless acceleration.

Just drive them back to back, and what I’m saying will immediately be obvious to you.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The V and B keys are next to each other and both Jive and Jibe are valid English words, so the spell check doesn't catch it. It's almost never appreciated when you correct grammar or spelling on a public forum, especially when it doesn't effect the content or context of the conversation.

Anyway, back on topic - I read in one review that the Turbos used in the GTS are different than what is used in the S.. I'll see if I can find that review again.
I realize it is 4 years after this post, but I have to disagree with the "never appreciated" comment. Some of us do cringe when we see someone on an enthusiasts forum repeatedly write "breaks" instead of "brakes".

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
769 Posts
Na, im still not convinced. Simply and intake and exhaust will put S in the GTS hp territory. Coilovers or lowering link will make S handle just as well as GTS, if not better.
I think you missed the point that the internals on the GTS engine are stronger than on the S engine. "Cobb" that S to GTS HP equivalency, stress them to exhaustion and bets are the enhanced S fails first.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
After reading numerous comments regarding the differences between the S, GTS and Turbo, I can't help but marvel at the almost painfully misinformed comments such as "the only improvement on the GTS handling is due to it being 10mm lower" or "the GTS is mostly useless exterior trim changes" or "a lowered Turbo will handle just like a GTS, or even better if you lower it even more with an aftermarket lowering kit", I decided to research more in depth WHAT IS IT that makes the GTS different.

If after reading this, you still think that you can make a GTS simply by adding external trim options lowering links and slapping a GTS logo, then do that and be happy.

I know that inevitably we will hear comments regarding how you will most likely not notice the GTS difference in your daily run to Whole Foods. To those I will say that the same would apply to the difference between a base 911 and a GT3. I dare you to notice the difference in daily city driving between the two of them. The fact that you don't drive it in a way where you notice it, does not mean that there are serious, highly technical engineering changes between them. And those changes are what makes these vehicles special.

Does everyone need, or want these things? No. But it is always nice to know what you have paid for.

Note: This list DOES NOT include those items that are standard on the GTS but that you can add to any other model (ie: Black window trim, or Sport Design Package).
Only those that are included on the GTS that you can't order separately on any other model (ie: Black Aluminum interior trim).

So, here they are, and please feel free to add to the list in case I missed anything else:

• 360 HP and 369 Lb-ft of torque 3.0 engine with upgraded internals:
  • 17.4 PSI Turbo boost vs 14 PSI for S.
  • New Camshaft.
  • Revised air intake path.
  • Reduced exhaust back pressure.
  • New Piston design and other beffed-up internal components.
  • High-rev horsepower curve, with max power at 6,000 rpm.
  • 159 MPH top speed.
(This is mostly what makes a BIG difference between a GTS and just adding a chip to an S. The GTS is DESIGNED to handle more power.)

• Enhanced Transmission:
  • Sturdier PDK Trasmission (as in Turbo).
  • Retuned transmission shifting algorithm.

• Improved brakes:
  • 14.8" front disk brakes with red calipers (as in Turbo.
(It is not only designed to go faster, but also to stop better).

- Especially tuned Porsche Sport Exhaust with natural cabin amplification.
(Why it sounds better than the S or Turbo with PSE).

• Enhanced Chassis tweaks:
  • Air Springs with retuned PASM programming.
  • 0.4" lower than standard Air Suspension.
  • 10% stiffer than standard Air Suspension.
  • Stiffer and thicker rear stabilizer bar.
  • Greater rearward bias of torque distribution.
  • Retuned PTM (traction management) stability controls allow 15 degrees more yaw before stepping in.
  • Sport Plus setting of Sport Chrono–equipped models ...adds an intermediate Sport ESC mode, which is available only on the GTS and allows a bit more slip-angle leeway before intervening.
  • The Porsche Stability Management System has been completely recalibrated for the GTS to provide even more “dynamic driving experience,” says the automaker (this means a driving enthusiast won’t feel restrained by an overly aggressive stability control system).

• Interior/Exterior Trim upgrades:
  • Standard 8-way Sport Seats
  • Exclusive GTS interior trim
  • Black brushed aluminum trim
  • GTS logo on headrests, tachometer, PCM, side blades and rear hatch.
  • 20" Black RS Spyder wheels.

And I will close by adding a couple of comments from Torsten Gaertner, senior engineer of driving dynamics for the Macan:

• “The GTS is much more a driver’s car.”
  • “The AWD is more rear-wheel biased.”
  • “This is what the engineers envisioned when they designed the Macan"

So, the next time you hear that you can have GTS driving dynamics by simply lowering the suspension, please give Porsche Engineering a little bit more credit for what they have actually done!

P.S. And by the way, in case you were wondering, this post took me a LOT more time to research than counting the number of buttons on the Macan GTS (103)... ;)

Cheers!
Thanks for the putting this out there. I see you put a lot of time and effort doing this unlike some who post stuff they read on a different board. Great work!

·
Registered
13 Posts
After reading numerous comments regarding the differences between the S, GTS and Turbo, I can't help but marvel at the almost painfully misinformed comments such as "the only improvement on the GTS handling is due to it being 10mm lower" or "the GTS is mostly useless exterior trim changes" or "a lowered Turbo will handle just like a GTS, or even better if you lower it even more with an aftermarket lowering kit", I decided to research more in depth WHAT IS IT that makes the GTS different.

If after reading this, you still think that you can make a GTS simply by adding external trim options lowering links and slapping a GTS logo, then do that and be happy.

I know that inevitably we will hear comments regarding how you will most likely not notice the GTS difference in your daily run to Whole Foods. To those I will say that the same would apply to the difference between a base 911 and a GT3. I dare you to notice the difference in daily city driving between the two of them. The fact that you don't drive it in a way where you notice it, does not mean that there are serious, highly technical engineering changes between them. And those changes are what makes these vehicles special.

Does everyone need, or want these things? No. But it is always nice to know what you have paid for.

Note: This list DOES NOT include those items that are standard on the GTS but that you can add to any other model (ie: Black window trim, or Sport Design Package).
Only those that are included on the GTS that you can't order separately on any other model (ie: Black Aluminum interior trim).

So, here they are, and please feel free to add to the list in case I missed anything else:

• 360 HP and 369 Lb-ft of torque 3.0 engine with upgraded internals:
  • 17.4 PSI Turbo boost vs 14 PSI for S.
  • New Camshaft.
  • Revised air intake path.
  • Reduced exhaust back pressure.
  • New Piston design and other beffed-up internal components.
  • High-rev horsepower curve, with max power at 6,000 rpm.
  • 159 MPH top speed.
(This is mostly what makes a BIG difference between a GTS and just adding a chip to an S. The GTS is DESIGNED to handle more power.)

• Enhanced Transmission:
  • Sturdier PDK Trasmission (as in Turbo).
  • Retuned transmission shifting algorithm.

• Improved brakes:
  • 14.8" front disk brakes with red calipers (as in Turbo.
(It is not only designed to go faster, but also to stop better).

- Especially tuned Porsche Sport Exhaust with natural cabin amplification.
(Why it sounds better than the S or Turbo with PSE).

• Enhanced Chassis tweaks:
  • Air Springs with retuned PASM programming.
  • 0.4" lower than standard Air Suspension.
  • 10% stiffer than standard Air Suspension.
  • Stiffer and thicker rear stabilizer bar.
  • Greater rearward bias of torque distribution.
  • Retuned PTM (traction management) stability controls allow 15 degrees more yaw before stepping in.
  • Sport Plus setting of Sport Chrono–equipped models ...adds an intermediate Sport ESC mode, which is available only on the GTS and allows a bit more slip-angle leeway before intervening.
  • The Porsche Stability Management System has been completely recalibrated for the GTS to provide even more “dynamic driving experience,” says the automaker (this means a driving enthusiast won’t feel restrained by an overly aggressive stability control system).

• Interior/Exterior Trim upgrades:
  • Standard 8-way Sport Seats
  • Exclusive GTS interior trim
  • Black brushed aluminum trim
  • GTS logo on headrests, tachometer, PCM, side blades and rear hatch.
  • 20" Black RS Spyder wheels.

And I will close by adding a couple of comments from Torsten Gaertner, senior engineer of driving dynamics for the Macan:

• “The GTS is much more a driver’s car.”
  • “The AWD is more rear-wheel biased.”
  • “This is what the engineers envisioned when they designed the Macan"

So, the next time you hear that you can have GTS driving dynamics by simply lowering the suspension, please give Porsche Engineering a little bit more credit for what they have actually done!

P.S. And by the way, in case you were wondering, this post took me a LOT more time to research than counting the number of buttons on the Macan GTS (103)... ;)

Cheers!
Hi,
In your opinion would you trade a 2020 Macan S for a 2018 Macan GTS?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
I realize it is 4 years after this post, but I have to disagree with the "never appreciated" comment. Some of us do cringe when we see someone on an enthusiasts forum repeatedly write "breaks" instead of "brakes".

Oh, don't get me started...

Break vs. Brake remains all too common - unfortunately. So does peddle vs. pedal as well as a complete lack of understanding of
the use of the apostrophe. Many people seem to believe that when there's more than one of something, you add apostrophe "s" - which
actually makes it possessive. "I saw three Macan's the other day." And if you ask, "Three Macan's what?".

Then they think you have a hearing problem. Or, they ask what it is you don't understand.

How about its vs. it's? I see that all the time. The possessive form is: its. The form with the apostrophe is a contraction: it's - for "it is".

The sixth sheik's sixth sheep is sick.
Sally sell seashells by the seashore. The shells that she sells are seashells I'm sure.
I slit a sheet, a sheet I slit. And on the slitted sheet I sit.
Now I'm going to play Communication Breakdown at volume setting 11... :oops:

·
Registered
84 Posts
So there is very detailed, complete information about the .1 or “a” Macan vs turbo and S. But not anything about the new models. For instance, we noticed a significant difference in throttle response between a 2021 GTS and a 2021 turbo. The GTS felt “soft”. I’m not trying to troll or to start flame wars but I’ve asked this question on other threads and I’ve never had a relevant response (e.g., “get a pedal commander” is not a valid response). Same engine, different tune. Suspension component differences? ECU programming g differences? Or was our demo GTS somehow deficient vs all 2021 GTS models (a one-off). What makes the “new” GTS and turbo different besides $12k? (Yes, PSCB, alcantera headliner etc,). Is there some secret sauce in the GTS that you can’t order from the configurator?

Again - really curious since our test drive cost us $12k!

101 - 120 of 129 Posts