Porsche Macan Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sorry if I missed it in a previous post but what method did you use to lower your Turbo? Also, the pros of doing so seem evident but any cons from your end on lowering? Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sorry if I missed it in a previous post but what method did you use to lower your Turbo? Also, the pros of doing so seem evident but any cons from your end on lowering? Thanks for your reply.
Cete lowering module. If you lower the car too much the ride will start to get harsh, which will not be optimal if you are in an area where the road conditions are poor. But with the Cete you can instantly adjust the height of the car using their smartphone app, which makes it the most flexible of all alternatives. But the installation is more involved. There is a separate thread on this product.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
We own both a GTS and an AS equipped Turbo, and while we like them both, I can confirm when the Turbo is lowered to the same height of the GTS the handling characteristics are identical.

As others have stated for quite a while, it would appear the claims about many of the GTS "enhanced chassis treaks" are nothing more than an example of misleading verbiage from Porsche's marketing communications people trying to differentiate the different models for marketing purposes.

Others have pointed out past examples of Porsche using different parts numbers for identical parts on different models, apparently in an attempt to confuse.

Not saying that lowering the Macan does not provide for better handling. It most certainly does.

I have now driven several PP's and it's obvious that the same thing applies versus the base Turbo.
+1^^^

There have been other members here with a lowered Macan S or Turbo that have stated the GTS handling was essentially identical. It would certainly be a highly cost effective move on Porsche's part. I think it's apparent from the option pricing that Porsche is excellent at charging a substantial price for adding an option which costs them almost nothing.

It should be noted that many of the interview quotes collected by the OP have never been substantiated, or put into proper context. With regard to the suspension, many of the claims would be valid for a suspension that has simply been lowered.

As far as the numerous other GTS improvements; what model was it being compared to? I think folks in the U.S. assumed the GTS comparison was being made to the Macan S......because at the time, the Base model had not been released in the U.S. However, the Base model had been available in Europe and the rest of the world since the Macan's initial launch. And since many of the initial GTS reviews and interviews originated in Europe, perhaps the majority of the stated GTS enhancements were actually versus the Base, and not the S. So, there is reason (IMO) to be skeptical about the magnitude of the GTS performance improvements gathered by the OP.

But to be fair, there's no doubt that buying a GTS or a Turbo PP is the easiest way to get some extra performance right out of the box, without the need to perform aftermarket modifications. Let's face it, most folks don't have the time or inclination to modify their car, and then live with the associated warranty concerns. For them, either a GTS or Turbo PP is definitely the way the go. No hassles upon purchase, and no fuss when it comes time to trade-in the car at the future date.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
57 Posts
+1^^^

There have been other members here with a lowered Macan S or Turbo that have stated the GTS handling was essentially identical. It would certainly be a highly cost effective move on Porsche's part. I think it's apparent from the option pricing that Porsche is excellent at charging a substantial price for adding an option which costs them almost nothing.

It should be noted that many of the interview quotes collected by the OP have never been substantiated, or put into proper context. With regard to the suspension, many of the claims would be valid for a suspension that has simply been lowered.

As far as the numerous other GTS improvements; what model was it being compared to? I think folks in the U.S. assumed the GTS comparison was being made to the Macan S......because at the time, the Base model had not been released in the U.S. However, the Base model had been available in Europe and the rest of the world since the Macan's initial launch. And since many of the initial GTS reviews and interviews originated in Europe, perhaps the majority of the stated GTS enhancements were actually verses the Base, and not the S. So, there is reason (IMO) to be skeptical about the magnitude of the GTS performance improvements gathered by the OP.

But to be fair, there's no doubt that buying a GTS or a Turbo PP is the easiest way to get some extra performance right out of the box, without the need to perform aftermarket modifications. Let's face it, most folks don't have the time or inclination to modify their car, and then live with the associated warranty concerns. For them, either a GTS or Turbo PP is definitely the way the go. No hassles upon purchase, and no fuss when it comes time to trade-in the car at the future date.
Just my two cents.
SoCal

Wonderfully stated.

I think many have likely seen my recent thread on Turbo mods. I really enjoy the mods and have no regrets whatsoever. In fact, I love the current state of my car.

That said, and in reference to your comments, I have been pretty honest in stating my next major 'mod' is going to be custom GTS build. Why? Well, for many of the reasons you provided. I know what features are important to me, and feel I could find the perfect OEM compromise in all regards with a custom GTS build. No mods required.

Yes, I would love to build a Turbo PP but, like many, I have a financial breaking point.

Thank you for your thoughts

AVM

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I would like to know the difference between the PP and regular Turbo also besides the suspension and extra power.
and larger front brakes

Reactions: SoCalS5

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have a Turbo and drove the GTS and Turbo PP more than once each.

To me there's no difference between the Turbo and Turbo PP. In fact the first time I was given a Turbo PP loaner I didn't know it was PP after driving it all day. After making a comment about the "Sports Exhaust" button, when I returned it, I was told about the PP part. My service guy also told me he cannot tell the difference.

What the OP doesn't say in his list is that the biggest difference between the GTS and the Turbo is engine response. The Turbo is noticeably more powerful. This is both good and bad.

Leaving bragging rights or "mine is the best" aside, the GTS is actually more fun and more involving to drive, especially on B roads, because you can rev it up and get that sports car feeling, where with the Turbo this would immediately leave you in license-losing (and here in Switzerland possibly car-losing and freedom-losing) territory.

I'd say the Turbo is however a better car for long-distance driving (especially through Germany!), and in any situation if what you want is more raw acceleration out of your Macan.

The power band is completely different in the Turbo PP and really comes alive in Sport. It's way to "mean" in Sport+ so I have only used it once but that one time, all I can say is WOW!!! Maybe if you spent a little more seat time (instead of a few hours) in both and used some of the "buttons" you surely would have felt the difference. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Reactions: Skinsfan

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I would like to know the difference between the PP and regular Turbo also besides the suspension and extra power.

and larger front brakes
Yes, larger diameter front brake rotors....which for the record, use the same brake pads as the standard Turbo. So while they're visually appealing, there's not a whole lot of difference in performance.

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/modifications/169377-brake-upgrade-2.html

I have ceramic brakes ?

·
Registered
317 Posts
The power band is completely different in the Turbo PP and really comes alive in Sport. It's way to "mean" in Sport+ so I have only used it once but that one time, all I can say is WOW!!! Maybe if you spent a little more seat time (instead of a few hours) in both and used some of the "buttons" you surely would have felt the difference. ;)
I drove PP Macans for days, not merely a few hours. They had two at my dealer that were loaned to customers and I sampled them enough. I stand by what I said. The power band is not completely different, it's basically the same. Given the same engine, a few extra horses are unlikely to make much of an impact. I doubt you'd shave more than a few seconds on a track course. It's true I didn't drive it in Sport+ mode, I find it unusable on public roads here.

I did try the noisy exhaust button (which was the only extra button), and I found it makes no difference inside the car, with the windows closed. The Macan is a quiet car. Turn on the music, and there's no discernible exhaust noise whatsoever. Perhaps there's some difference if you drive it with the music off and the windows down, but why do that when you have a Burmester in the car?

I think the PP stuff is strictly for bragging rights, and a clever ploy from Porsche to squeeze a bit more margin. There's one person I know who got a Turbo PP - my wife's former boss - and he admitted to me as much. Which is fine, some people want the best in a product line, even if mostly on paper, are prepared to pay for it, and I have no problem with that.

The 3.0 litre GTS to 3.6 litre Turbo engine difference however is very obvious. Completely different response. Reminded me a bit of a difference of the 911 GTS and the 911 Turbo, which we drove back-to-back. It's a bit more dramatic with the 911s but of the same kind: you can tell immediately which one is faster.

However, given the speeds limits around here, I'd say, with Porsche, often less is more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What's the expected horse power and engine spec on facelift GTS?

Macan Turbo S (PP) 440 -> 477 (+37 ?)
Macan Turbo 400hp -> 434hp (+34)
Macan GTS 360hp -> 370hp (+10) or 390hp (+30) depended on what engine model (3.0L or 2.9L)?
Macan S 340hp -> 348hp (+8)
Macan 252hp -> 248hp (-4)

Given such conservative update we've seen from facelift Macan so far, 370hp is likely the hp range on the GTS.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I did try the noisy exhaust button (which was the only extra button), and I found it makes no difference inside the car, with the windows closed.
I disagree. Even with the higher end windshield that has further blocking I can tell the difference just at idle between off, sport and sport+. Driving it is day and night.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yes, I don’t know how someone could possibly say that there is not a substantial difference between PSE turned on and off. That is one of the problems with these forums. Anyone can say whatever they want with absolutely no basis to it. Anyone can test drive a Macan with PSE any day of the week and immediately see that this is nonsense. Why someone would make something like this up when it is so easy to prove that it’s false is beyond me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On my GTS the difference between PSE on and off is night and day. It is indeed way more noticeable with the sunroof open.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Please help me I’m a newbie… The two handling items that have to be ordered on the GTS are the torque factoring differential and the sport Chrono package. It sounds like if you are hard-core into handling these are necessary options to the GTS?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Please help me I’m a newbie… The two handling items that have to be ordered on the GTS are the torque factoring differential and the sport Chrono package. It sounds like if you are hard-core into handling these are necessary options to the GTS?
The GTS is not available now. Are you looking or a used one?

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
......The two handling items that have to be ordered on the GTS are the torque factoring differential and the sport Chrono package. It sounds like if you are hard-core into handling these are necessary options to the GTS?
If handling is a really big priority for you, then you should try to find a GTS with the torque vectoring option PTV+. Chronos is not nearly as critical, and it can be retrofitted by the dealership if desired. That should make your search a little easier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought the sport Chrono package had a sport button that enhanced the engine and handling, google shows it adds .
  • Driver-Selectable Driving Modes: The steering wheel inside a model with Sport Chrono includes a switch that allows the driver to change the performance profile of their vehicle as they cruise through Milpitas. The switch offers four modes: Normal, SPORT, SPORT PLUS, and Individual.
  • Launch Control: Paired with the Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission, Sport Chrono integrates Launch Control, which gives the vehicle a race-start function.
  • Motorsports-Inspired Gear Shifting: Sport Chrono gives the PDK unique and racing-derived gearshifting strategies for the fastest acceleration possible.
  • SPORT Response: New for models like the 718, SPORT Response allows you to press a button in the center of the mode switch. Pressing this button gears the engine and transmission up to release a tremendous amount of power for about 20 seconds, giving you maximum acceleration and responsiveness.
  • Interior Upgrades: Models with the Porsche Sport Chrono Package include a few distinctive features inside the cabin, including a dash-mounted stopwatch and PCM upgrades like a performance display.
  • Dynamic Transmission Mounts: With Sport Chrono, vibrations and oscillations within the drivetrain are minimized, making it possible for the transmission to change gears almost imperceptibly on Los Gatos roads.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I thought the sport Chrono package had a sport button that enhanced the engine and handling, google shows it adds .
This ought to be a new thread specific to what you are looking for . However , to answer your question the rhetoric you quoted was more toward the 911 . For example sport response is not part of a Macan GTS (yet) . Also the engine mounts are 911 .

That said Sport Chrono does add the final component of PDK by its shifting capability (and launch control) . Is it needed in an SUV ? No. Am I glad I placed it in 3 out of 4 Macans ? Yes . The car which lacked it I bought off the lot , it had no PTV, No SC, and I still enjoyed the heck out of it .

81 - 100 of 110 Posts