Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
....Should I step up to the GTS and pay the price difference? .....
Assuming you were able to negotiate a 5% discount or better, and are paying mid-60's for your car, I'd say you have a very thoughtfully spec'd Macan S.

Given the duration you plan to keep the car, and the lack of performance options on your current S build, I would say don't get a GTS, and stick with your original S build.

All of us have seconded-guessed ourselves after placing a factory order. But usually, all is forgotten once you receive the car. In any configuration, it is a fantastic car.
Have a look at these threads for some insight on how good a bare bones Macan S can be:

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/porsche-macan-videos/88834-last-track-day-season.html

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/ordering-features-questions/96817-open-letter-new-buyers-code-debaters.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
THIS is What Makes The GTS Different-Alex C

Spent hours, days researching the right car for me. Going from a Honda Pilot and a Carrera C4 Cab down to one car. What shall it be? A Macan for certain, but which Macan? I had actually ordered a well appointed "S" scheduled for arrival in January. Second guessed myself on many occasions, did I make the right decision? I am extremely appreciative of the time Alex C took to explain why "I needed" the GTS rather than the "S" I had ordered. The standard items coupled with a few options sold me. Both cars are incredible automobiles, but each car, each option is driver specific in my opinion. I will be picking up my GTS is early December that was a dealer ordered car. Many thanks Alex C.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Spent hours, days researching the right car for me. Going from a Honda Pilot and a Carrera C4 Cab down to one car. What shall it be? A Macan for certain, but which Macan? I had actually ordered a well appointed "S" scheduled for arrival in January. Second guessed myself on many occasions, did I make the right decision? I am extremely appreciative of the time Alex C took to explain why "I needed" the GTS rather than the "S" I had ordered. The standard items coupled with a few options sold me. Both cars are incredible automobiles, but each car, each option is driver specific in my opinion. I will be picking up my GTS is early December that was a dealer ordered car. Many thanks Alex C.

Congrats on the new GTS! Hopefully it I'll be here very soon. I'm glad my post helped you in your decision.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Excellent breakdown of the GTS. P-Cars are well known for their GTS models and the GTS legacy is well represented by the Macan offering. We made our decision after test driving three models: the S, GTS, and Turbo. In the end we went for the handling prowess of the GTS over the raw power of the Turbo. Driving them reveals their strengths and their weaknesses. The S is a fantastic car and so isn't the Turbo. I have not driven the base model so I can't make any comments on that one. But the GTS was clearly the better corner killer and the driving dynamics were more Porsche than the other two. If you know what I mean. Driving is what these cars are all about and for us the GTS was the quintessential Porsche. As the Macan is recent new line for Porsche, designed to bring the Porsche experience to more buyers, those buyers will have the opportunity to get to see the difference in P-Cars. Hopefully they will grow to appreciate the long legacy of P-cars and the very difficult and complex engineering that make these cars so special. Or you can buy a Canadian built Lexus SUV, an Alabama built MB SUV, or a South Carolina built BMW "sports activity vehicle", whatever that is. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great Information; Thank you!

I just ordered a GTS; this information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your effort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
very nice read. So question, and I don't want to get bashed on but I tried to find the answers in this forum but couldn't...

from what I understand, the GTS model automatically comes with the AS and PASM as standard. Now many articles state that the suspension is specifically tuned to lower the vehicle by 10mm, is this on top of the AS/PASM function where it would lower again by another 10mm as an option?

so my real question is...if one was to spec out a Turbo w/AS and PASM added on, would the height stance of the Turbo be the same as the GTS?

·
Registered
602 Posts
very nice read. So question, and I don't want to get bashed on but I tried to find the answers in this forum but couldn't...

from what I understand, the GTS model automatically comes with the AS and PASM as standard. Now many articles state that the suspension is specifically tuned to lower the vehicle by 10mm, is this on top of the AS/PASM function where it would lower again by another 10mm as an option?

so my real question is...if one was to spec out a Turbo w/AS and PASM added on, would the height stance of the Turbo be the same as the GTS?

My understanding is that the only way to get the height as low as the GTS on a Turbo is to get a Turbo Performance Package. A regular Turbo with air and PASM will only lower the same as a S with air and PASM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My understanding is that the only way to get the height as low as the GTS on a Turbo is to get a Turbo Performance Package. A regular Turbo with air and PASM will only lower the same as a S with air and PASM.
got it, crystal clear
thanks for answering my question!

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
....so my real question is...if one was to spec out a Turbo w/AS and PASM added on, would the height stance of the Turbo be the same as the GTS?
A Turbo with AS and PASM will sit 10mm higher than a GTS. But you don't have to buy a TurboPP in order to achieve GTS ride height. There are three ways to lower a standard Macan Turbo (or Macan S) equipped with AS. You can install a lowering module, install lowering links, or try to find a shop with PIWIS to re-program the air suspension to a lower setting.

Most folks who have gone this route have dropped their ride height by 35 - 40mm......which means their car sits 25 - 30mm lower than a GTS. Of course, you can also perform the same modification on a GTS to lower it further than stock. If interested, search for earlier threads discussing the use of lowering modules, lowering links, and PIWIS reprogramming for AS.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
The Macan seems to benefit from lowering handling-wise much more than most vehicles, no matter how you achieve it and no matter what model you have. This was discovered early on, when Macanuck was the first (or one of the first) to install a lowering module. I will never forget his immediate enthusiasm:D

Not sure why this is , perhaps it is because the Macan is so heavy, or perhaps it has to do with the specific suspension geometry. What I have found quite remarkable is that so long as you don’t go crazy with the amount of lowering, the ride quality does not significantly deteriorate.

I have an AS Turbo with a Cete lowering module currently programmed at 30 mm below OEM height, and I’m absolutely loving the dramatic improvement.

Reactions: SoCalS5

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brilliant write-up alex_c!
As someone who recently upgraded from 15' S to 18 GTS, you just brought extra confidence I made the right decision.
Not to diminish greatness of the S but I think it's critical to call out those tiny touches that never gets mentioned about the GTS.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2017 Turbo lease ends June 2020. Already got a call about lease early turn in for June 2019. Trying to figure out if the GTS is something to check out or if I should stick with Turbo. Appreciate the write up though on the comparison to S.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I concur. Done. This is important for potential buyers who want the details. Good job @alex_c

For the naysayers, its not the bling that matters. Any car maker can do bling. Its the HOW they make power that matters, and when Porsche increases HP levels in an engine, they just don't increase boost or add some headers and an exhaust. They do it the old fashioned way, they holistically look at the problem and beef up the internals. This is the inherent flaw in getting cheap HP via chipping IF you care about keeping the car over time.

If you think this is a fluke, read TTAC Porsche Uber Alles

"There's an old racing expression: "To finish first, first you must finish." Porsche doesn’t just pay homage to it, they live it. ... You will find more bearing area, big-ends and mains, for each liter of displacement in a 911 engine than in any other engine in production today. It’s an obscure technical point, but a telling one. You simply cannot buy a more robust high performance automobile."

Then read how they make power with the X51 kit on a 911. https://www.porscheengineering.com/peg/en/about/magazine/ Issue 2/2012 Polished heads, increased breathing, higher lift cam, another water cooler.

When Toyota's LMP1 car failed at the end of Le Mans, 2016 and the Porsche 919 LMP1 ending up winning, you can probably believe a lot of that was due to over engineering and the robustness of the overall car going back to their first Le Mans win. And this goes back to the TTAC article

"To finish first, first you must finish." Porsche doesn’t just pay homage to it, they live it. The German company has dominated nearly every race series in which they’ve competed. More to the point, Porsche’s won the grueling 24-hour race at Le Mans sixteen times. That’s more than Ferrari and Ford put together. This phenomenal stamina is now built into every Porsche road car.

And that is why its the holistic approach that matters and why the attention to details matter - its not the bling, its the overall approach. And now that engineering approach is clearly part of the Macan.

I came upon this thread by chance but it was some good reading. The research @alex did on how much more different the GTS is over the S makes me wonder just how the same is between the Turbo and Turbo PP. :nerd: It has to be more than ECU tuning.

This information seems to be more secret than our recent military aircraft development, the F-35....just look at the Chinese copy. Maybe the Chinese can get this information. Hey China, if you are reading this, please PM me with the results. ;)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
So does anyone have details of the latest GTS? Performance details, when it will be available? If not, then any idea when those details might be released?

Reactions: Keitho8567

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I concur. Done. This is important for potential buyers who want the details. Good job @alex_c

For the naysayers, its not the bling that matters. Any car maker can do bling. Its the HOW they make power that matters, and when Porsche increases HP levels in an engine, they just don't increase boost or add some headers and an exhaust. They do it the old fashioned way, they holistically look at the problem and beef up the internals. This is the inherent flaw in getting cheap HP via chipping IF you care about keeping the car over time.

If you think this is a fluke, read TTAC Porsche Uber Alles

"There's an old racing expression: "To finish first, first you must finish." Porsche doesn’t just pay homage to it, they live it. ... You will find more bearing area, big-ends and mains, for each liter of displacement in a 911 engine than in any other engine in production today. It’s an obscure technical point, but a telling one. You simply cannot buy a more robust high performance automobile."

Then read how they make power with the X51 kit on a 911. https://www.porscheengineering.com/peg/en/about/magazine/ Issue 2/2012 Polished heads, increased breathing, higher lift cam, another water cooler.

When Toyota's LMP1 car failed at the end of Le Mans, 2016 and the Porsche 919 LMP1 ending up winning, you can probably believe a lot of that was due to over engineering and the robustness of the overall car going back to their first Le Mans win. And this goes back to the TTAC article

"To finish first, first you must finish." Porsche doesn’t just pay homage to it, they live it. The German company has dominated nearly every race series in which they’ve competed. More to the point, Porsche’s won the grueling 24-hour race at Le Mans sixteen times. That’s more than Ferrari and Ford put together. This phenomenal stamina is now built into every Porsche road car.

And that is why its the holistic approach that matters and why the attention to details matter - its not the bling, its the overall approach. And now that engineering approach is clearly part of the Macan.

I came upon this thread by chance but it was some good reading. The research @alex did on how much more different the GTS is over the S makes me wonder just how the same is between the Turbo and Turbo PP. /forum/images/MacanForum/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png It has to be more than ECU tuning.

This information seems to be more secret than our recent military aircraft development, the F-35....just look at the Chinese copy. Maybe the Chinese can get this information. Hey China, if you are reading this, please PM me with the results. /forum/images/MacanForum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
I would like to know the difference between the PP and regular Turbo also besides the suspension and extra power.

Reactions: Skinsfan

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would like to know the difference between the PP and regular Turbo also besides the suspension and extra power.
I have a Turbo and drove the GTS and Turbo PP more than once each.

To me there's no difference between the Turbo and Turbo PP. In fact the first time I was given a Turbo PP loaner I didn't know it was PP after driving it all day. After making a comment about the "Sports Exhaust" button, when I returned it, I was told about the PP part. My service guy also told me he cannot tell the difference.

What the OP doesn't say in his list is that the biggest difference between the GTS and the Turbo is engine response. The Turbo is noticeably more powerful. This is both good and bad.

Leaving bragging rights or "mine is the best" aside, the GTS is actually more fun and more involving to drive, especially on B roads, because you can rev it up and get that sports car feeling, where with the Turbo this would immediately leave you in license-losing (and here in Switzerland possibly car-losing and freedom-losing) territory.

I'd say the Turbo is however a better car for long-distance driving (especially through Germany!), and in any situation if what you want is more raw acceleration out of your Macan.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I have a Turbo and drove the GTS and Turbo PP more than once each.

To me there's no difference between the Turbo and Turbo PP. In fact the first time I was given a Turbo PP loaner I didn't know it was PP after driving it all day. After making a comment about the "Sports Exhaust" button, when I returned it, I was told about the PP part. My service guy also told me he cannot tell the difference.

What the OP doesn't say in his list is that the biggest difference between the GTS and the Turbo is engine response. The Turbo is noticeably more powerful. This is both good and bad.

Leaving bragging rights or "mine is the best" aside, the GTS is actually more fun and more involving to drive, especially on B roads, because you can rev it up and get that sports car feeling, where with the Turbo this would immediately leave you in license-losing (and here in Switzerland possibly car-losing and freedom-losing) territory.

I'd say the Turbo is however a better car for long-distance driving (especially through Germany!), and in any situation if what you want is more raw acceleration out of your Macan.
Well, I totally disagree with you. I drove a regular Turbo for 3 years before my PP. Not only does it feel a lot faster, and I push it hard, it handles better and has sharper turning due to the lowering and revised suspension. It just feels more planted. You must not have pushed it to not be able to tell a difference. The PP feels like a Cobb tune on the regular Turbo, just w smoother shifting.

Reactions: Skinsfan

·
Registered
338 Posts
We own both a GTS and an AS equipped Turbo, and while we like them both, I can confirm when the Turbo is lowered to the same height of the GTS the handling characteristics are identical.

As others have stated for quite a while, it would appear the claims about many of the GTS "enhanced chassis treaks" are nothing more than an example of misleading verbiage from Porsche's marketing communications people trying to differentiate the different models for marketing purposes.

Others have pointed out past examples of Porsche using different parts numbers for identical parts on different models, apparently in an attempt to confuse.

Not saying that lowering the Macan does not provide for better handling. It most certainly does.

I have now driven several PP's and it's obvious that the same thing applies versus the base Turbo.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts