Porsche Macan Forum banner

241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have bought a new pressure washer, foam canon, three wash buckets and grit gaurds, wash mits, iron remover, lots of micro fiber towels, clay bars, glazes, waxes and a small fortune in other products. My birthday is next month, so I'll buy myself the battery charge system posted above from Amazon. We are getting PEC ATL delivery and I have considered asking them to not clean it so the paint does not have swirls. I may need to buy myself a RO polisher but I know me and I have to wonder if I'll be so particular after a year. The batter care system is a definite must if there is that much drain. I have let my Tahoe sit for a month and it starts. It is also a 2007 so it does not have so many electronics draining it. I'm sure a Porsche battery replacement is north of $500.

Reactions: pigblackdog

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
2/4/17.

I have added two items to the first posts, one to explain the bespoke pricing strategy and a second to explain value based pricing. I have also added the Delivery Checklist, which was buried in a later post, to the end of the first post to have everything in one place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Grim.....you just set back my morning routine by an hour and a half because that's how long it took me to read your post and follow the great links you inserted. Thanks for your comprehensive POV and take on what's important. It's still timely all these years later.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you Grim! I decided not to get the tire and wheel insurance but now after readying your post, I am thinking again. Mine is a base and I planed to just drive and enjoy it without worrying too much about dent and paint chip etc. -- now you reminded me there is such a thing called "clear bra"... I need to apply for budget approval from my better half, AGAIN!?

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
2 Posts
This discussion is for a prospective buyer who is shopping for another vehicle and considering for the first time buying a Porsche Macan.

Overall, I really like the Macan’s design and driving experience. So I am not trashing the Macan, but rather forewarning that you may need to have some ‘deep pockets’ to maintain this vehicle. I admit I am both surprised and deeply disappointed in the money I have paid out to maintain this Porsche that I bought brand new.

I bought my 2016 Macan S back in August 2015, fully loaded for almost 71K; paid cash. Five years later, the mileage is 46K. To be clear, I am not one to drive a vehicle ‘hard’.

I am a subscriber of preventative maintenance so annually I have it serviced – roughly every 10K miles. Although the Macan has never broken down, the yearly visits to my dealership is as if the vehicle did break down. Combining 2019 & 2020 maintenance costs, I have paid $10K just to keep the vehicle in good working order.

The big hits of that $10K were:
$2K for brakes, front & rear.
$3K for thermostat housing.
$1K for battery.

Additionally, be aware of the cost for tires. One of the reasons for the Macan’s ability to tightly hug the road is that the tires are relatively soft. The trade-off is that you will need to replace the tires more often than vehicles with harder tires that cannot match this road experience.

Tire rotation with front & back is not possible since the front tires are a different size from the rear tires. So if you need to replace one tire, your cost will actually be for two. Need all four tires replaced? Figure on $1.2K.

So in summary, the Macan is a great SUV that is not quite as great as the cost of maintaining it.
Not surprisingly, my next vehicle will not be a Porsche. The Macan’s total cost clearly exceeds the value of the vehicle’s design and driving experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cost increases are inevitable regardless of make/model. But to the tune of $10K in 2 years, I would not expect that type of a surprise in my next non-Porsche.

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan S & 2016 Mercedes-Benz E350
6 Posts
I am the new owner of a CPO 2015 Macan S with 40,000 miles. Its last plug change was due to time in 2018 along with the PDK service. The oil service and filters were done during CPO process. The car was purchased, serviced, and traded (then sold to me as CPO) at the same dealer so they knew the car's history well.

That being said, my Macan will not be returning for service at a dealership. The costs are out of control. I am lucky to have an independent mechanic 15 miles from me that is a Porsche master tech. The only person in this state that can replace a clutch on a Carrera GT, supposedly. He services my Mercedes as well (also a Benz master tech) and I have been at his shop when dealerships have towed Porsches to him for repair.

That being said, I got with him on what I was looking at in terms of maintenance costs in the future. Here are the costs he gave me:

Oil service: $139
Spark plug service: $379
PDK service: $579

Brake kits can be purchased with lifetime warranties from FCPEuro for $375 front and $215 rear. He is happy to install parts I provide. This is all in line with Benz service costs. The CPO warranty is for the next two years. Our Benz is also CPO with an unlimited mileage warranty for the next 3 years.

Am I missing something? Other than an unlikely catastrophic failure none of this seems scary?

·
Registered
292 Posts
This discussion is for a prospective buyer who is shopping for another vehicle and considering for the first time buying a Porsche Macan.

Overall, I really like the Macan’s design and driving experience. So I am not trashing the Macan, but rather forewarning that you may need to have some ‘deep pockets’ to maintain this vehicle. I admit I am both surprised and deeply disappointed in the money I have paid out to maintain this Porsche that I bought brand new.

I bought my 2016 Macan S back in August 2015, fully loaded for almost 71K; paid cash. Five years later, the mileage is 46K. To be clear, I am not one to drive a vehicle ‘hard’.

I am a subscriber of preventative maintenance so annually I have it serviced – roughly every 10K miles. Although the Macan has never broken down, the yearly visits to my dealership is as if the vehicle did break down. Combining 2019 & 2020 maintenance costs, I have paid $10K just to keep the vehicle in good working order.

The big hits of that $10K were:
$2K for brakes, front & rear.
$3K for thermostat housing.
$1K for battery.

Additionally, be aware of the cost for tires. One of the reasons for the Macan’s ability to tightly hug the road is that the tires are relatively soft. The trade-off is that you will need to replace the tires more often than vehicles with harder tires that cannot match this road experience.

Tire rotation with front & back is not possible since the front tires are a different size from the rear tires. So if you need to replace one tire, your cost will actually be for two. Need all four tires replaced? Figure on $1.2K.

So in summary, the Macan is a great SUV that is not quite as great as the cost of maintaining it.
Not surprisingly, my next vehicle will not be a Porsche. The Macan’s total cost clearly exceeds the value of the vehicle’s design and driving experience.
The cost of dealer service seems to be a perpetual discussion on this forum.

For whatever reason some people don’t pay attention, and then continue to complain.

For example paying $1000 for a new battery is pure silliness when there has been substantial discussion here on the forum about the ability to replace a battery, including registering it, for 1/3 of the price.

And it sounds like you didn’t pay attention to the Atturo tire thread, were you could’ve saved about 50%.

$2000 for new brakes it’s just laughable, but if you let your dealer get away with it, they will take advantage of you every time.

Not sure what $3000 for a thermostat housing is, but it certainly sounds suspect. Never heard of another forum member meeting to have their thermostat housing replaced.

All that being said, in general, yes, a Porsche is going to cost significantly more money than a Honda to maintain. Not sure why some owners are surprised by that.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I am lucky to have an independent mechanic 15 miles from me that is a Porsche master tech. The only person in this state that can replace a clutch on a Carrera GT, supposedly. He services my Mercedes as well (also a Benz master tech) and I have been at his shop when dealerships have towed Porsches to him for repair.

That being said, I got with him on what I was looking at in terms of maintenance costs in the future. Here are the costs he gave me:

Oil service: $139
Spark plug service: $379
PDK service: $579
Please share the name and location with us. Sounds like a great find!

Reactions: SoCalS5

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
This discussion is for a prospective buyer who is shopping for another vehicle and considering for the first time buying a Porsche Macan. ... So in summary, the Macan is a great SUV that is not quite as great as the cost of maintaining it.

I started this thread 6 1/2 years ago to help newbies to the marque understand what they were getting themselves into. I think a lot of people came from Hondas, Acuras, Lexus, etc had no idea. The comments about the cost in the first post were NOT a joke. Things new owners might want to know

They come from a Toyota or Honda and just expect to get a $19.99 oil change and $100 15,000 mile service along with $89 tires. Then they are in for a rude awakening.

Generally, few actually do their due diligence and cost out the TCO. I think many people just worry about the monthly payments.

I'm glad you reminded people which was the original intent in Feb, 2014. Now think about the next wave of newbies to the marque who will be picking up $15,000 2015 Macan S cars shortly. Wait until they get the shock of an intermediate service or the full services. The sad part is, this is no different than in 2005, 1985, or 1965. TCO has always been high. Nothing has changed. I hope the next wave of buyers figure out the TCO.

241 - 253 of 253 Posts