Porsche Macan Forum banner

221 - 240 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes you are misinformed. Press the button and it stays off.
Yes, that is true for the States but not for Europe (Germany). I have to switch it off every time I start the car (MY16). Not sure for Canada. The dealer told me that they can't change it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
maintenance

5. Prepare yourself for the maintenance costs :(

The days of $30 quick oil changes are long gone. $30 will barely buy the oil filter. The cost of minor services might require a short term loan. The cost of a major service? An equity loan. Get into serious work needed? A new crate engine? Think serious money.

I’m sorry, but Porsche maintenance is a complete and total rip-off. $300.00 for an oil change is ridiculous. A Mahle oil filter for a Hyundai looks just like a Mahle filter for a 911. If your neighbors and co-workers think you are rich because you bought a Porsche, then the dealers must think the same. Shortly after I purchased my 911, the battery went away. I called the local dealer and scheduled a replacement. Gave them the year and mileage. No one in service-not the service writer, manager or receptionist said, oh by the way, read the manual-if you don’t drive 6,000 miles a year the battery is not covered under warranty. I jump started the car and limped to the dealer. The service writer was laughing and yucking it up as we completed the service order. He slides it to me-there you go, $457 for a new battery. I was furious. I drove home, went to the parts store and bought a new battery for $130.00. No, it does not ay “Porsche”, but it has been more reliable than the OEM.

I drive my Macan less than 20 miles a day and I have two cars, so most likely will not make the required 6K miles a year and even with CPO the battery will not be covered. Routine maintenance is no difference. Do we need to spend $300.00 on an oil change when you can get it done for $80-$110.00 or do it yourself for $50.00? I do my own. Changing oil in my 911 is much easier than my non-Porsche vehicle. Oh yes, the stupid service reset. Most cars can be reset without any expensive tool. There is an independent shop-highly rated with trained Porsche mechanics that will do the oil service for $99.00 out the door. The bottom line is that there are plenty of qualified competent independents that will do it for a lot less. I don’t find too many guys in our local club (even the rich ones) that take their cars to the dealer for other than warranty work.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't get it. :confused: You're complaining that you didn't read your own manual?
I typically don’t get involved in submitting many posts on the forum. One reason is the ridiculous and idiotic responses from some folks such as the one from grim regarding the battery issue. I know not many Porsche owners are aware of the 6,000 mile per year requirement to cover the warranty of a battery. I’ll bet lots of SA’s don’t know about it. I expect a six figure car that is two years old and 3300 miles to be under complete warranty. Most manufacturers’ warranty outside of drive train does not include a minimum yearly requirement for mileage. By the way, the manager called me and apologized, then offered to sell me a battery at cost. When it comes to systems and operation of the vehicle I’ve spent a considerable amount of time in the manual. The point is maintenance is far too expensive. My question is, how did you get to be a moderator-excuse me, super moderator? Oh, I guess you read the manual.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
What? You have to drive a minimum number of miles for the battery to be under warranty?

I must be living under a rock. I have never heard of such but I've only owned and driven cars for a mere 40 years. Holy crap.

I totally agree the dealer service is a complete ripoff.

As for reading the manual, hundreds and hundreds of pages with most of it don't adjust the seat while driving. Don't adjust the steering wheel while driving. No thank you, I'd rather read War and Peace for the sixth time.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
ridiculous and idiotic responses from some folks such as the one from grim regarding the battery issue. I know not many Porsche owners are aware of the 6,000 mile per year requirement to cover the warranty of a battery.
Its in the warranty manual. Its discussed in about every porsche forum. The sports cars draw power all the time. The ports shut down. After so many day the key won't work and you have to open the door manually. Leave it too long and the battery just dies. This was particularly true prior to the AGM batteries.

Here is a 2009 thread pulled at random with exactly what you speak of. Battery Warranty Question - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Why would a salesmen know this? How many own them? New Car Limited Warranty & Customer Information Model Year 2016 as a example. It lists your responsibilities.

"To generally be driven daily over a distance of several miles. ...

A battery maintainer is available at your local authorized Porsche dealer. It must be used to maintain your vehicle’s battery state of charge if your vehicle will not be used for several days."

Porsche Guidelines specify reasonable mileage to be at least 15 miles / 24 kilometers per day or 6000 miles / 9600 kilometers per rolling 12 months.

remember that proper maintenance of the battery includes operating the vehicle on a regular basis to keep the battery charged and/or utilizing a Porsche Battery Charger/Maintainer

This Warranty Does Not Cover:

Batteries damaged from ... lack of normal vehicle use

Complaining about the high cost of maintenance is normal. Everyone does. Its incumbent on the consumer to read their warranty.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
What? You have to drive a minimum number of miles for the battery to be under warranty?

I must be living under a rock. I have never heard of such but I've only owned and driven cars for a mere 40 years. Holy crap.
You don't own the sports cars. There is nothing new here, its old news. If you don't drive the car for some number of days, it goes on the maintainer, particularly where you are up north in the cold. The AGM batteries are better than the older batteries but there are many, many threads on this over a decade. Batteries die all the time because many of the sports cars, 911 and 987/981 are toys and not DD. If the cars are DD, they are fine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
So if some people leave their car while going on a business trip for a couple of weeks, when they come back, the battery will die? Can we just call Porsche roadside assistance to come start up the battery or do u have to change to a completely new battery?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Wow! I did not read through the entire Warranty book till just now. (I just read the 1st pages to see the 4 yr./50K.) I had read through the owner's manual & the PCM Manual. Very interesting re Battery. I wonder if most cars have that weasel clause? I see the A/C refrigerant is only warranted for 90 days !

BTW, in the manual p. 314, Says after you install a new battery, you must initialize it in the control unit.

I've always easily changed batteries of all my cars myself. This would be much more difficult.
I'd need to search to find out how exactly to initialize the new battery. Hopefully I would get a warning that the battery is dying & could charge it. So, I would have a few days to shop for a proper replacement.

Yes, Porsche charges too much for service but so do other high end dealers. Maybe Porsche is worse, don't know. Others who have owned many expensive brands can chime in.

I have an old trickle charger but, I may buy a good battery tender, just in case. If I went several days w/o driving it regularly, I would already own & use one.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Wow! I did not read through the entire Warranty book till just now. (I just read the 1st pages to see the 4 yr./50K.) I had read through the owner's manual & the PCM Manual. Very interesting re Battery. I wonder if most cars have that weasel clause? I see the A/C refrigerant is only warranted for 90 days !

BTW, in the manual p. 314, Says after you install a new battery, you must initialize it in the control unit.
OK, lets go over this because obviously this is new to some people.

There is nothing new here. For at least a decade, if not more, Porsche insists you drive a specified number of miles to keep the battery healthy. The problem lies in the fact the sports cars, to many, are toys. They are garage queens, track day cars, or just taken out on weekends - not DD.

As more and more systems become electronic, there is more a constant draw on the battery even when the car is "off". One example is the fans. The electric fan in the engine compartments turns on when the compartment is over a certain temperature regardless of whether or not the car is running. If you live in a hot climate, this can be a drain. But other systems have a constant drain. And NEVER leave the key in the ignition. Here is an analysis of a 987 drain.

Another thing to be concerned about it cold and hot. Those where the battery is exposed constantly to cold, well they know to use a battery warmer or plug in for their oil. Batteries die all the time in winter. But HEAT is also a killer. This is easy to Google - eg. Are Car Batteries Affected by the Heat Like They Are by the Cold? A battery that might last ten years at 77 degrees might only last for five years at 92 degrees - and if the temperature is increased to 106 then that lifespan drops to two and a half years. - See more at: Are Car Batteries Affected by the Heat Like They Are by the Cold?

With the changeover from the 987/998 to 981/991, the cars introduced auto start/stop. The batteries used until then were not suitable to the constant surging with starts. So AGM batteries are now standard. These batteries do NOT charge at the normal 14.4V but at 14.7V. So if you got an older charger, its probably not suitable for charging the AGM batteries. I don't believe you are supposed to put an AGM battery in a car not designed to use it because it won't charge correctly but I'm not sure about that.

Do other car makers do the same thing? Of Course. Here are some quick threads as examples

New battery - FerrariChat.com

"The loophole for Ferrari on battery warranty was I had driven less than 2500 miles per year (average around 2000/year using vehicle 5 days per week) so Ferrari wouldn't cover replacement under warranty. Their translation is low miles per year = infrequent use and lack of proper battery exercise."

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1326777-Battery-Not-Covered-by-Scheduled-Maintenance-or-Warranty

BMW does an energy diagnosis and it states UNFAVORABLE driving conditions. it shows how many times the veh has been driven and for how long in the past few days. If its due to UNFAVORABLE driving conditions or "consumer neglect" the battery will not be covered. If you read the manual it is located under battery maintenance and states how to properly maintain the battery.

Mini battery, dealer and warranty woes! - Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

The dealer said it needed a new battery and that it wouldn't warranty it because my aunt doesn't drive the car enough. They told her she needs to drive it a minimum of 800 miles a month and that it says that in the warranty.

I know in another car I owned, it also specifically said you must drive a certain number of miles/year or the battery warranty was denied.

So, one might ask, what about my Toyota, Honda, Ford, and even the Cayenne. I asked about the Cayenne and the answer is simple. All these cars are usually driven. They are used maybe every other day, the point being they are constantly being driven. The dealer didn't see Cayenne battery issues because the owners drove them.

So yes, other car makers have the same kind of verbage. The cars are meant to be driven, not sitting and rotting. If you don't drive, put it on the maintainer. That said, the AGM batteries do seem to hold up better than the pre-AGM batteries. But extremes in cold or heat will still do their damage. Would I worry about it in a my DD sports Car or Macan? no. Worry about it with an AGM battery for a couple of weeks? No. OTH, if sitting outside in 10 degrees or 100 degrees. Yup.

These cars MUST be driven, or periodically on a maintainer (I'm talking the sports cars as I presume people do drive the SUVs). See http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/what_causes_car_batteries_to_fail

A German manufacturer of luxury cars reveals that of 400 car batteries returned under warranty, 200 are working well and have no problem. Low charge and acid stratification are the most common causes of the apparent failure. The car manufacturer says that the problem is more common on large luxury cars offering power-hungry auxiliary options than on the more basic models. ...

Battery malfunction is seldom caused by a factory defect; driving habits are the more common culprits. Heavy accessory power when driving short distance prevents a periodic fully saturated charge that is so important for the longevity of a lead acid battery. ...

A common cause of battery failure is acid stratification. The electrolyte on a stratified battery concentrates on the bottom, causing the upper half of the cell to be acid poor. This effect is similar to a cup of coffee in which the sugar collects on the bottom when the waitress forgets to bring the stirring spoon. Batteries tend to stratify if kept at low charge (below 80%) and never have the opportunity to receive a full charge. Short distance driving while running windshield wiper and electric heaters contributes to this. Acid stratification reduces the overall performance of the battery."

So if its winter in the north, or in constant heat, and you just jump in once a week and drive for 10 minutes, crank up the air or heater, put on the stereo, add the heated seats or ventilated seats, yeah, the battery stands a good chance of dying quickly.

In other words - use it or lose it. Or put it on a charger.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
... AGM batteries ...do NOT charge at the normal 14.4V but at 14.7V. So if you got an older charger, its probably not suitable for charging the AGM batteries. ...
I had not realized my very old, very basic trickle charger would not be suitable for AGM batteries! I will buy a battery minder. I'm thinking of buying "CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger"

"The CTEK MUS 4.3 battery charger is perfect for those with high demands and can solve a broad range of battery-related problems. It offers state of the art technology that was previously only found in CTEK’s professional products and features 8 patented steps to maximize battery life and performance. A few of the key features are a patented de-sulphation process which removes sulfate from the lead plates, a battery diagnosis that shows if a battery can receive and retain a charge, a special reconditioning function that restores stratified and deeply discharged batteries, unique maintenance charging, a mode for optimized charging during cold winter days and the charging of demanding AGM batteries (i.e. Optima). The unique LED display allows the user to follow the entire charging process.

The MUS 4.3 is a non-sparking, short-circuit proof, reverse polarity protected unit designed for untroubled usage and has built in overcharging protection. It is splash, dust and water-resistant so that the solution can be taken to the problem even if it rains or snows.

Included with the MUS 4.3 is the charging unit, a Comfort Connect clamp, a Comfort Connect M6 eyelet and a storage bag. With optional accessories, the charger can to used to charger all your battery needs with a simple quick plug-in, saving time and frustrations especially for those applications that have hard to access batteries.

The MUS 4.3 battery charger has a 5 year Limited warranty"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006G14FK8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2KS1WKSB739N2&coliid=IMV7DAP5MSQ4H&psc=1

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
I had not realized my very old, very basic trickle charger would not be suitable for AGM batteries! I will buy a battery minder. I'm thinking of buying "CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger"
The Porsche branded chargers are the cheaper rebranded CTEKS, I think the
3.3A version. The one you chose I use all the time. It works fine. Just set it on snowflake mode and you are good to go. You can select the accessories you need.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The Porsche branded chargers are the cheaper rebranded CTEKS, I think the
3.3A version. The one you chose I use all the time. It works fine. Just set it on snowflake mode and you are good to go. You can select the accessories you need.
OK Grim, looking @ buying my 1st charger for a P car in years.

That said, I may buy the same unit Icono linked/apparently you use, care to elaborate on those accessories you mentioned above?

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
OK Grim, looking @ buying my 1st charger for a P car in years.

That said, I may buy the same unit Icono linked/apparently you use, care to elaborate on those accessories you mentioned above?
Sure, I've had the MUS 4.3 about 3 or so years. Works fine.

You can look for the little kits that contain a bunch of accessories. I think it comes with the alligator clips but it depends upon what you need

Extension cord https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-304-1-Comfort-Connect-Extension/dp/B00ADIHUVG/ref=pd_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8BSSX4TY7KAZSWG4WWTA

plug that goes into the cig lighter https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-263-Comfort-Connect-Plug/dp/B0016LA5O8/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RNR5HME5NTB1WCAJY81X

plug to hard wire to the battery https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-304-1-Comfort-Connect-Extension/dp/B00ADIHUVG/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7J24YBSNKWV0XZ9VAD4H
I have it hard wired to the battery

bumper https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-058-Bumper-Battery-Charger/dp/B00TJY0ID2/ref=pd_sim_263_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J8N317ND4743MFNVMWBE in case you get the metal case to close to the paint

Or get a kit like this CTEK | Battery Charger Kits you have to read the components of each kit to determine your needs. I suggest reading their website because there are other accessories Battery Chargers - CTEK Battery Chargers

Those in CA might want the Polar version Battery Chargers - CTEK Battery Chargers

Accessories are here Accessories - CTEK Battery Chargers

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Hi everyone. I just thought I would refresh this thread for all the new members. As usual @grim he added some great information that may be of use to new Macan owners. Hope you enjoy��

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am new to the forum and apologize (in advance) if jumping in at the wrong spot. I took delivery of my white Macan GTS last Saturday, a dark overcast gloomy day in Atlanta. Nevertheless, what an exciting day. My car had finally arrived. Did not think I could EVER be more pleased with a car. Paint, interior, new car smell, I was 100% pleased. I was told by a 911S (black) owner I should have the Gtechniq "professional application" inside and out. I quickly learned that even factory paint has imperfections that can be corrected. When I picked my car up yesterday after the application completion I was even more elated than the day I picked my new car up. So for something new car owners may want to consider, think about this process. My black spyder wheels looked lifeless when I picked the car up. Now they have just enough of a satin look (even the barrels of the wheel were coated) that they are far more pleasing to the eye. My white paint looks an inch thick and wet. The sooner a new car gets to the Gtechniq detailer, the less prep work they have to do (paint correction) before applying the Gtechniq paint application. Detailer used two Gtechniq products on my seats, leather product for leather and another for my alcantara. I have no association whatsoever with Gtechniq, but in all my years of owning cars I have never seen a new car look so much better than it did the day it came off the show room floor. Hope my experience may help others.

221 - 240 of 246 Posts