Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I complained about the plastic on my 2015 Macan S. At that time my wife’s 2018 Audi SQ5 had little to no plastic showing due to all parts painted in exterior color White.

Uponlooking at the listing for a White Macan GTS and the ugly maw of a front grill I would never consider the car. I don‘t care if it handles better it still does not make up for the additional plastic and gapping mouth piece.

To those new owners of the current model sorry if I offended you but to each there own. To Porsche you messed up a good thing.
I wouldn't write it off . The video footage I got from Roger sold me !! The new car is really good !!

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
319 Posts
I have been learning a lot about the new car . There clearly are more likes than dislikes or I wouldn't be putting a deposit on one. Aside from the tons of praise of improved driving from members and journalists I have watched carefully the video footage that @RoggieRog has sent me on his road trip into the mountains, canyons, and wilderness to experience his new car . I am blown away by some of the driving features in that setting and can see the improvements first hand .

I also feel the car is priced nicely despite the overall increases .

But there are dislikes too..... So here is the list

1) I can't stand the black front fascia . I know its not a huge deal . Its not as bad as the M3 front grill but it is an eyesore .

2) Dark colors hide it . The only problem is that aside from timeless black both Night Blue and Volcano have been out so long that something new would have been nice . The purple color is not happening for me.

3) This next one is a HUGE complaint !! Porsche does it on the Macan and they even did it on the 911 . However they do it differently . They offer a GTS package but then they either hide something (911) or pull it away (Macan) . With the Macan if one puts the GTS package its almost double the price of the leather . However when one puts the premium package plus it wont allow it because of the ventilated seats so it makes the person individually retain the other features . It unbundles the package and ends up cost $1000 MORE even though ventilated seats are not on it . This its not really $4790. Its 5790 !!! On the 911 it allows the premium plus but hides the carbon inserts , stitching and dials making it 9K . I still bought it on my 911 but I am upset by BOTH .

If the car is a GTS and if a GTS package is exclusive to the car then Porsche needs to stop hiding the nonsense in a confusing comfigurator .

4) The RS wheels are too BUSY . I felt that the last Macan as well as 991.2 had perfect RS wheels . They made them more simple on the new 911 and I accepted it and ended up liking how easy they are to clean . I am not as pleased with the Macan GTS . It is the exclusive wheel of the car . Hence the confusion along with all the above.

5) The light colors show that fascia . I dont care if one puts lipstick on it . You will know its there .

6) The in between colors tend to not go well with the black wheels , Dolomite tones down the fascia but not like GT silver would . Gentian just doesn't mesh with black for me . Papaya matches it but I cant take it seriously . When I say the words "I have a Papaya Macan" I begin to internally laugh . Call me twisted but its my reality

I guess thats my biggest problem . Porsche made the car a better driving car than the last generation . They just didn't make it better looking to me . That becomes my fustration . Could I be so shallow that I would reject the intimacy of an improved car (in every way ) because it lack the curb appeal of my former car ? Could I lower myself to being ripped off for an extra 1K to have GTS package ? (on two cars )

I am open to hearing thoughts on any of the 6 points I raised.
You've made some valid points Larry and, without doubt, these points are a concern to you. I get that and agree with some of them. It is this statement: "Porsche made the car a better driving car than the last generation." that I have to ask you about.

As an experienced owner, what makes it a better driving car than your last generation Turbo? After all, I believe the driving experience is the most important aspect of car choice.

·
Registered
|2022 Porsche Macan GTS |2018 Porsche Macan GTS (Retired)
39 Posts
I totally agree on the front fascia that makes it look unappealing. I would suggest getting the car in black or a dark color to blend it in where it doesn't show so much. Mine is chalk colored, so it gives it the contrast that highlights the black front fascia. I must say though, I love the way the rest of the car looks so it quickly makes me forget about that part. It also drives amazing and better IMO than the last generation.

With looks they tend to grow on you over time, but I feel like the way the car drives is the opposite. If you like it, you'll like it from the start.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Prior to ordering my 2022GTS we test drove a 2021 in Midnight blue with Slate interior, nice combo. I probably would have bought that one in February, but I actually liked the piano black finish, haptic buttons and the grill on the MY22. It looks so much better in person, you can actually see the diamond patterns and different texture. In my opinion, Porsche did a nice job of updating a relatively old design.

·
Premium Member
2018 Macan Sport Edition
189 Posts
This discussion about the black plastic across the front reminds me... I often find myself preferring initial designs rather than subsequent facelifts. But then after a couple years the facelift looks better to me and the initial design looks dated.

I had that reaction in 2019 when the tailights were extended across the hatch, and now I definitely prefer it.

As another poster has said, often these changes are to ease a transition to the next generation of design language, so I guess we can expect a broad expanse of black plastic on the nose of the EV.

But back to yrralis1 and the upcoming GTS purchase, I like your config and I say go for it!

·
Registered
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
202 Posts
This discussion about the black plastic across the front reminds me... I often find myself preferring initial designs rather than subsequent facelifts. But then after a couple years the facelift looks better to me and the initial design looks dated.

I had that reaction in 2019 when the tailights were extended across the hatch, and now I definitely prefer it.

As another poster has said, often these changes are to ease a transition to the next generation of design language, so I guess we can expect a broad expanse of black plastic on the nose of the EV.

But back to yrralis1 and the upcoming GTS purchase, I like your config and I say go for it!
Well said.

Go to any car forum and you see the same responses to face lifts on all makes and models. People generally don’t like change.

I usually find myself disliking the new model for a time, especially if I have the older version. Jealousy for not having the latest and greatest? Perhaps, but I think its more due to the fact that I’ve been admiring the old design for months or years and it takes time to appreciate the newest version.

I much prefer the profile view of the front of the new GTS, especially compared to my old 20 Turbo. The Turbo was too rounded and looked weak. I can understand the criticism of the front view on the 22 GTS as there is a lot of plastic. On the other hand it makes the car look wider and lower. The massive intercooler intakes are also accentuated which adds to the sporty look.

My biggest hesitation in going to the new version was the haptic buttons. I HATED the idea. Now that I’ve covered it with matte ppf to alleviate fingerprints, I actually like it and prefer the modern look.

·
Registered
14,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You've made some valid points Larry and, without doubt, these points are a concern to you. I get that and agree with some of them. It is this statement: "Porsche made the car a better driving car than the last generation." that I have to ask you about.

As an experienced owner, what makes it a better driving car than your last generation Turbo? After all, I believe the driving experience is the most important aspect of car choice.
It’s lower, the exhaust note is more crisp, the PSCB brakes have become less grabby,

·
Registered
14,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

There is some designs that will just never grow on me. This one in the new Macan is not so bad that I wouldn’t buy the car but it is altering my color decision.

What Porsche did with the GTS package and price is inexcusable. They name a price but when adding premium package since you can’t get the ventilated seats you have to remove the package and unbundle it. The price goes up $1000 even with less options just to have the GTS package. They have done this with several items on the new Macan. This is just one example that applies to me but there are more. I decided not to get the GTS package.

They have been very limited with color offerings on the new car. They’ve been very limited with color offerings on the Macan in general . If one looked at other models within the porsche line has not always been the case.

Despite all the above I still want the car. It isn’t enough negative to become a dealbreaker. I just started taking closer notice to these things as I’m about to discuss writing a check at some point to buy one. Had this simply been someone else’s car I might’ve given a critique or an opinion but I wouldn’t have immersed myself into the details as much as I am now.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm liking my '21 Chalk GTS more and more. The grill on the '22 is ugly in my view, but not nearly as repulsive as the big BMW kidney. As others have suggested, we are generally resistant to change, but do get over it.

I still wish I could get out of a 911 with a degree of dignity...but I can't. C'est le Vie. I saw a review recently that suggested the Macan GTS was a "station wagon" version of a 911. Made me feel good.

I sure do like your new 911 GTS.:)

Reactions: RoggieRog

·
Registered
14,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I don't like the mustache either, but since black is my favorite color it looks good.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I love it but it will make 4 in a row (out if 6) . I was hoping to change . Black does fix the face a bit. Sigh . They did go extreme with making the RS wheel busy . I will have days to digest it all . Two out of my top 5 colors got a different wheel . GTS package is on and off various builds .

Its not just one feature . I pointed at 6 things and in combination it makes six hurdles to clear and there is only ONE reason to do it .. The GTS is the best of these Macan's . Thats one heck of a reason .

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not a fan of the wheels either but wife and sales rep both preferred them. I asked them which one wants to clean them but so far not bad as coated rotors really do minimize dust.

·
Registered
14,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I'm not a fan of the wheels either but wife and sales rep both preferred them. I asked them which one wants to clean them but so far not bad as coated rotors really do minimize dust.

Black surely is the right color for the car . I just don't know if its the right color for me given my Macan history. The wheels are the exclusive feature for that car . I just dont know if they will end up on my car .

I went ion the configurator , If I dont do the RS wheels the only wheel which is NOT available on a Macan S are the GT Design . They are thus exclusive to the GTS . They have three (gloss , satin , platinum satin) . I chose satin and it rejected it . My guess is they are sold out. Gloss are a stone chip disaster and too glitzy for me . That wheel works with black but struggles with the other colors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Black surely is the right color for the car . I just don't know if its the right color for me given my Macan history. The wheels are the exclusive feature for that car . I just dont know if they will end up on my car .

I went ion the configurator , If I dont do the RS wheels the only wheel which is NOT available on a Macan S are the GT Design . They are thus exclusive to the GTS . They have three (gloss , satin , platinum satin) . I chose satin and it rejected it . My guess is they are sold out. Gloss are a stone chip disaster and too glitzy for me . That wheel works with black but struggles with the other colors.
It does throw a weird message on the configurator for the satin wheels sans GTS package. I asked my SA about that and he stated the satin GT design wheels are exclusive to the GTS package. So the black satin GT design wheels and ventilated seats are mutually exclusive. So stupid.

My SA did also confirm that there is a delay on the GT design wheels up to 8 weeks. He didn't specify a particular color.

My wife wants an all-black car that we will likely put a satin wrap/PPF on (I actually agree about the front aesthetic so was fine with doing black this time around). I actually love the look of the GT design wheels. I'd prefer the satin wheels but gloss looks ok too... especially if I have to stick with things like the door handles still gloss after the wrap. I'd just love to have the choice, which I don't now because ventilated seats are a high priority for my wife.

None of it matters though, Porsche absolutely nailed it with all the other aspects of this car so I'm hoping it will be my last ICE purchase and get me through 6-10 years until I'm completely ready for this EV thing.

·
Registered
14,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It does throw a weird message on the configurator for the satin wheels sans GTS package. I asked my SA about that and he stated the satin GT design wheels are exclusive to the GTS package. So the black satin GT design wheels and ventilated seats are mutually exclusive. So stupid.

My SA did also confirm that there is a delay on the GT design wheels up to 8 weeks. He didn't specify a particular color.

My wife wants an all-black car that we will likely put a satin wrap/PPF on (I actually agree about the front aesthetic so was fine with doing black this time around). I actually love the look of the GT design wheels. I'd prefer the satin wheels but gloss looks ok too... especially if I have to stick with things like the door handles still gloss after the wrap. I'd just love to have the choice, which I don't now because ventilated seats are a high priority for my wife.

None of it matters though, Porsche absolutely nailed it with all the other aspects of this car so I'm hoping it will be my last ICE purchase and get me through 6-10 years until I'm completely ready for this EV thing.
The race tex is cooler than leather . The material and stitch is beautiful !! (see pics below... current car ). I want it on my Macan but have an internal struggle with the shenanigans on the configurator.

Ventilated seats are needed with leather but with Miami humidity and 94 degrees daily in July I stick to my leather seat in my Macan Turbo even before the vents turn on . I wanted the GTS package but by the configurator deleted the premium package and prompted to retail everything on the package except ventilated seats . Had the price remained the same I would have been fine . After al I am just giving up a 650 option but instead it RAISED 1000 bucks . I am this buying less and paying more to have less but I do get the GTS package . On the 992 its done differently but I will stick on topic. I dont know what I will do. I love the package .

I didnt know that the Gt design were on backorder . I guess the RS wheel is not getting as much love if the alternative is sold out . I will ask on Tuesday . Thats when I get my car appraised and if its acceptable I will place a deposit . If I MUST get the RS wheel it may change things.. I love the black but need a break UNLESS I can get the wheels I even started pricing HRE wheels (P series) out of curiosity .

In the 8 years I have posted here I am noticing the highest amount of black/JBM Macans compared to years ago. I have also seen more GTS cars with wheel alternatives to the RS .

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just go black, you can afford the car washes :) That's what we did with our 2022 S. And the stock wheels are amazing in my opinion. Also a big fan of the chrome trim around the windows and on the rear lettering, gives it a bit of sparkle. (Jet black metallic to clarify - with front hood etc. covered in xpel PPF).

Attachments

·
Registered
14,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Update- I have given all of the above a tremendous amount of thought. I do feel that your black metallic is the only color I can hide the black facia but there are downsides to it as well. The first is that it would be the fourth in a row. I need change to feel like it’s a new car. The second is a don’t really like how it shows the rear light bar. The white metallic just rules that front facia right at you. It’s also another white SUV in Miami which is just beyond popular here. White is a very Florida friendly color and I happen to love it but I want this car to feel different. Dolomite is a great color but I don’t feel it looks great with the black wheels. The reason for that is because GT silver looks that much better and it’s not offered. Night blue is a fantastic color but it’s so close to black they may as well be black.

So what’s left? And what of the GTS package which I happen to love. Out of the remaining colors and wanting to break out of my comfort zone there is one that hides the light bar and tones down the front facia a little . It’s chalk. Chalk is a color that I’ve had a lot of mixed feelings about. There is this love-hate with the color but it really works with this particular car . I also feel it’s a little bit on the feminine side and since my wife is the primary driver I think it will actually match her complexion quite nicely.

The RS wheels are busy. If I have to get them with chalk it works. I am leaning towards the platinum satin GT design and that is what is on my built. I will know tomorrow after my salesman looks at the form of what is not available. It will be either or my first choice being the GT design. I will cry if I have to get either .

I want the GTS package. I removed the heated seats when I am bundled it and now instead of it being $1000 it’s only up $50. So taking away the ventilated seats in the heated seats so the hedges this pricing insanity on the configurator. I picked it. I guess I can’t quibble with things at this level at this time in my life.

I meet with my dealership tomorrow to discuss a ballpark figure for my trade-in. I am aware that nine months will alter this but I need to know just a general estimate of how much I have to come up with to make the switch. They know that I am comfortable but not obscenely wealthy. They also know that I’m buying this car on the heels of my last car recently. They know I’m counting on some type of price leniency .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very close to my build. I also wanted the GT’s in platnium but had to change because they were not available. I went with the spiders in silver for something different. It should be here this week :)

·
Registered
14,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Very close to my build. I also wanted the GT’s in platnium but had to change because they were not available. I went with the spiders in silver for something different. It should be here this week :)
The platinum satin was theoretically my 3rd choice . My first choice would have been a better looking RS wheel . The design on this one looks like it was drawn by a child as a art assignment . My second choice was the GT design in satin black. Apparently its off limits even unless one buys the sport package . This is the third .

If unavailable I will accept the black RS wheel. I would rather have that than the exclusive design which is not exclusive to the GTS

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm completely at the mercy of my local dealer. I have two cars on order with them right now; a 718 Boxster GTS and a Macan GTS. I will be trading in a 2019 718 BGTS and a 2020 Macan S, respectively.

I can only hope they're reasonable and the market doesn't crash in the next couple months. I'm not paying ADM on either car but I could end up getting killed on trade and there would be nothing I could do...

Oh well. You only YOLO once they say...

21 - 40 of 53 Posts