Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been learning a lot about the new car . There clearly are more likes than dislikes or I wouldn't be putting a deposit on one. Aside from the tons of praise of improved driving from members and journalists I have watched carefully the video footage that @RoggieRog has sent me on his road trip into the mountains, canyons, and wilderness to experience his new car . I am blown away by some of the driving features in that setting and can see the improvements first hand .

I also feel the car is priced nicely despite the overall increases .

But there are dislikes too..... So here is the list

1) I can't stand the black front fascia . I know its not a huge deal . Its not as bad as the M3 front grill but it is an eyesore .

2) Dark colors hide it . The only problem is that aside from timeless black both Night Blue and Volcano have been out so long that something new would have been nice . The purple color is not happening for me.

3) This next one is a HUGE complaint !! Porsche does it on the Macan and they even did it on the 911 . However they do it differently . They offer a GTS package but then they either hide something (911) or pull it away (Macan) . With the Macan if one puts the GTS package its almost double the price of the leather . However when one puts the premium package plus it wont allow it because of the ventilated seats so it makes the person individually retain the other features . It unbundles the package and ends up cost $1000 MORE even though ventilated seats are not on it . This its not really $4790. Its 5790 !!! On the 911 it allows the premium plus but hides the carbon inserts , stitching and dials making it 9K . I still bought it on my 911 but I am upset by BOTH .

If the car is a GTS and if a GTS package is exclusive to the car then Porsche needs to stop hiding the nonsense in a confusing comfigurator .

4) The RS wheels are too BUSY . I felt that the last Macan as well as 991.2 had perfect RS wheels . They made them more simple on the new 911 and I accepted it and ended up liking how easy they are to clean . I am not as pleased with the Macan GTS . It is the exclusive wheel of the car . Hence the confusion along with all the above.

5) The light colors show that fascia . I dont care if one puts lipstick on it . You will know its there .

6) The in between colors tend to not go well with the black wheels , Dolomite tones down the fascia but not like GT silver would . Gentian just doesn't mesh with black for me . Papaya matches it but I cant take it seriously . When I say the words "I have a Papaya Macan" I begin to internally laugh . Call me twisted but its my reality

I guess thats my biggest problem . Porsche made the car a better driving car than the last generation . They just didn't make it better looking to me . That becomes my fustration . Could I be so shallow that I would reject the intimacy of an improved car (in every way ) because it lack the curb appeal of my former car ? Could I lower myself to being ripped off for an extra 1K to have GTS package ? (on two cars )

I am open to hearing thoughts on any of the 6 points I raised.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you already have a new GTS? Or is this all based solely on online research? Most of your issues seems to be cosmetic. If you haven’t purchased one yet, I would suggest trying to see a GTS in person. I think it looks even better then what photos show. But I never had any issues with the redesign to start with. Maybe it’s just not the car for you.

·
Registered
2018 Base
143 Posts
I think that the '22+ is many steps backwards and not so many forward. I also don't like all the icky black plastic on the nose and rear.

My biggest functional complaint is the loss of manual shifting via the gear lever. Is a huge step backwards for a sporty car, one with paddles affixed to the steering wheel which is also a no-no.

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you already have a new GTS? Or is this all based solely on online research? Most of your issues seems to be cosmetic. If you haven’t purchased one yet, I would suggest trying to see a GTS in person. I think it looks even better then what photos show. But I never had any issues with the redesign to start with. Maybe it’s just not the car for you.
Cosmetic , lack of new colors , GTS package hidden pricing are minor but are the major parts of my sticking point . I could have written a longer post of my likes but you have not only read them all but live it daily with the car . I already know its a better car . I want one . Not all is easy or perfect though .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cosmetic , lack of new colors , GTS package hidden pricing are minor but are the major parts of my sticking point . I could have written a longer post of my likes but you have not only read them all but live it daily with the car . I already know its a better car . I want one . Not all is easy or perfect though .
I will say my 22 GTS is night and day better then my 20 Macan S. It’s just pure driving pleasure and the best daily driver I have ever had.

·
Registered
‘22 GTS - Jet Black Metallic - GTS Interior Black/Red
11 Posts
I think Flatt6 is right, maybe you go and test drive a GTS? On your first point: pick the option ‘Exterior Package in Exterior Color and High Gloss Black’ to avoid the plasticky front look. Or you are just happy with your 911 and shop elsewhere for a performance SUV?

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will say my 22 GTS is night and day better then my 20 Macan S. It’s just pure driving pleasure and the best daily driver I have ever had.
I think its night and day over my 20 Turbo . I want the car. I won't deny the imperfections even when I have it .

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I think Flatt6 is right, maybe you go and test drive a GTS? On your first point: pick the option ‘Exterior Package in Exterior Color and High Gloss Black’ to avoid the plasticky front look. Or you are just happy with your 911 and shop elsewhere for a performance SUV?
No one has any cars . Any car at a dealership is pre sold . Anything used is with ADM everywhere and test drives for amusement are a no deal . I know I want the car ... plastic and all. I d9nt want the gloss exterior . Its a stone chip magnet and too shiny . It calls even more attention to it . JBM is the safest bet . It is 4 in a row though if I pick it. I may have to deal with the plastic and just accept it .

Right now .., Your exact exterior (JBM .Satin) is a high priority of where I am heading .

I have a question .,,, Everyone likes this ? I cant be the only one in the universe noticing the things . Denial is not just a river in Egypt . How can one not notice the face ?

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I dont need to fly to another state and drive the car. I like the car !!! Plus with the speeding laws in Virginia .. never . I already know I WANT THE CAR !!!

Pending what my current car is worth (will know by Wed) will make the decision and at least for now am digesting the 6 things above . My first sentence did say I like more about the car than dislike . I focused more in my post on the dislikes because I am just as excited as anyone else .

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sooo. I asked my wife :eek: She listened..:eek:(y)

I pointed at all the things I dislike and she already knows what we both like (although I am a but more I intensely mmersed ) . She likes the JBM but is all good with the CWM front facia . She took note that its a giant face looking right at you and white really hurls it at you . I mentioned the GTS package drama of an extra 1K added but told her its my taste . She told me she actually loves leather unless it cost more . Leather package is $0 . Leather with stitch is 4K . I played the middle . To me leather is leather . Race Tex is my taste.I asked her flat white Vs metallic ... she liked the sparkle . If I did anything other than exterior color side blade it wold be carbon fiber but its useless.

She is the primary driver . Now comes the hard part.. my trade . The Porsche Code

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
But there are dislikes too..... So here is the list

1) I can't stand the black front fascia . I know its not a huge deal . Its not as bad as the M3 front grill but it is an eyesore .
I have the opposite opinion where I see the non-GTS front fascia with the painted middle grille an eyesore instead. I see it as nothing but a mouthpiece!

2) Dark colors hide it . The only problem is that aside from timeless black both Night Blue and Volcano have been out so long that something new would have been nice . The purple color is not happening for me.
I thought you like the longer staying color. I like Black, don't mind Night Blue, hate Volcano, and rather take Copper Ruby than Papaya (love the fruit kind). My wife doesn't like White so it's never a choice for us.

3) This next one is a HUGE complaint !! Porsche does it on the Macan and they even did it on the 911 . However they do it differently . They offer a GTS package but then they either hide something (911) or pull it away (Macan) . With the Macan if one puts the GTS package its almost double the price of the leather . However when one puts the premium package plus it wont allow it because of the ventilated seats so it makes the person individually retain the other features . It unbundles the package and ends up cost $1000 MORE even though ventilated seats are not on it . This its not really $4790. Its 5790 !!! On the 911 it allows the premium plus but hides the carbon inserts , stitching and dials making it 9K . I still bought it on my 911 but I am upset by BOTH .

If the car is a GTS and if a GTS package is exclusive to the car then Porsche needs to stop hiding the nonsense in a confusing comfigurator .
I totally agree with you on this. I love the GTS interior package and wish it can be configured with the Premium Package Plus. Such a BS of a way of milking more money out of you.

4) The RS wheels are too BUSY . I felt that the last Macan as well as 991.2 had perfect RS wheels . They made them more simple on the new 911 and I accepted it and ended up liking how easy they are to clean . I am not as pleased with the Macan GTS . It is the exclusive wheel of the car . Hence the confusion along with all the above.
I like the new RS wheels more than the old ones. They look more athletic as 21" than the 20" old ones, and not anymore busy. On the GTS with the PSCBs, cleaning is not a problem at all.

5) The light colors show that fascia . I dont care if one puts lipstick on it . You will know its there .
Here, the lipstick is on the non-GTS fascia on any color but Black.

6) The in between colors tend to not go well with the black wheels , Dolomite tones down the fascia but not like GT silver would . Gentian just doesn't mesh with black for me . Papaya matches it but I cant take it seriously . When I say the words "I have a Papaya Macan" I begin to internally laugh . Call me twisted but its my reality

I guess thats my biggest problem . Porsche made the car a better driving car than the last generation . They just didn't make it better looking to me . That becomes my fustration . Could I be so shallow that I would reject the intimacy of an improved car (in every way ) because it lack the curb appeal of my former car ? Could I lower myself to being ripped off for an extra 1K to have GTS package ? (on two cars )

I am open to hearing thoughts on any of the 6 points I raised.
I will stick with Jet Black if I'm in the market for a GTS. It still feels new and fresh and better looking in the same color than pre-2022 Macan. Second choice would be Dolomite.

·
Premium Member
2022 GTS, Carmine Red, built 5/4/22, delivered 6/22/22
277 Posts
1). I do agree with you. It does look better in person, but I would definitely like much more body color on the front end

6). simple solution. DON't get black wheels. Silver, polished wheels look perfect with every body color-and they are timeless.

One of the reasons we left the blades black was to tie the large black areas on the front and rear together, so they don't stick out as much....

Reactions: cdarwinj

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the opposite opinion where I see the non-GTS front fascia with the painted middle grille an eyesore instead. I see it as nothing but a mouthpiece!

I thought you like the longer staying color. I like Black, don't mind Night Blue, hate Volcano, and rather take Copper Ruby than Papaya (love the fruit kind). My wife don't like White so it's never a choice for us.

I totally agree with you on this. I love the GTS interior package and wish it can be configured with the Premium Package Plus. Such a BS of a way of milking more money out of you.

I like the new RS wheels more than the old ones. They look more athletic as 21" than the 20" old ones, and not anymore busy. On the GTS with the PSCBs, cleaning is not a problem at all.

Here, the lipstick is on the non-GTS fascia on any color but Black.

I will stick with Jet Black if I'm in the market for a GTS. It still feels new and fresh and better looking in the same color than pre-2022 Macan. Second choice would be Dolomite.
Both the first and the second generation Macan did not have this large plastic facia. Both were painted.

We ended up at the same conclusion with different reasons. Your number one choice is jet black metallic. So is mine. My wife is extremely flexible on these colors. You know I love white cars. I just don’t think it’s going to be this one.

It is interesting to read the replies and see how much people like those little details that I just don’t. With the 9/11 it was more unanimous with the shifter. It wasn’t unanimous with the rear plastic. It was somewhat split. Here however it seems that I’m a solo traveler with some of these nits that I’ve been picking.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I complained about the plastic on my 2015 Macan S. At that time my wife’s 2018 Audi SQ5 had little to no plastic showing due to all parts painted in exterior color White.

Uponlooking at the listing for a White Macan GTS and the ugly maw of a front grill I would never consider the car. I don‘t care if it handles better it still does not make up for the additional plastic and gapping mouth piece.

To those new owners of the current model sorry if I offended you but to each there own. To Porsche you messed up a good thing.

Reactions: TXRed and AllanG

·
Registered
32 Posts
Definite mixed response on the front end! Personally I think the GTS front looks badass good and was one of the reasons wifey changed her order to the GTS from the S.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again- With all the black plastic on the nose, I can't NOT see Groucho Marx's face:

Vision care Flash photography Jaw Eyewear Gesture

On your first point: pick the option ‘Exterior Package in Exterior Color and High Gloss Black’ to avoid the plasticky front look.
That doesn't work. Here are two images from the configurator; the first one has the stock plastic nose treatment, while the second has the ‘Exterior Package in Exterior Color and High Gloss Black’ treatment. The 'stache is still there, just shiny versus satin. Dark colors are the only way to lessen it's impact, unless you have the black sections painted in the exterior color yourself.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
262 Posts
The black plastic sucks, no question about it, but I'd guess that they didn't do it because they thought it looked better. Its purpose is to ease the visual transition to the EV model, which will have an even bigger expanse of cheap black plastic up front.

It's one of those things, like the nubbin in the 992, that you just have to live with if you want the improvements in the newer-generation model. I'd be reluctant to let cosmetic details steer me away from choosing the best vehicle for my budget and interests... but it really, really sucks that Porsche forces such a choice on us. "Ja, is ugly, nicht wahr? Vat are you going to do, buy a BMW? LOL"

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1). I do agree with you. It does look better in person, but I would definitely like much more body color on the front end

6). simple solution. DON't get black wheels. Silver, polished wheels look perfect with every body color-and they are timeless.

One of the reasons we left the blades black was to tie the large black areas on the front and rear together, so they don't stick out as much....
Out of the colors that were on the table (JBM, CWM , Dolomite , Night Blue , Chalk) . None got a silver wheel . The closest was the Dolomite with the exclusive wheel gloss . JBM will get platinum satin . The other 3 got RS black . White or Chalk begged for the GTS package (in chalk) . I love it on my 911 but could not deal with a price increase added to it after REMOVING ventilated seats . I got so upset that I almost picked leather package over full leather . Wife likes leather . I think its hot in the humidity . I stick the the seat even before the vent turns on in Miami summer . Race Tex is cooler and I love the stitching .

In an ideal world this would have been a white car (a change ) or Gt silver (even better but not offered) . It would have had the GTS package . The package is still doable .

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The black plastic sucks, no question about it, but I'd guess that they didn't do it because they thought it looked better. Its purpose is to ease the visual transition to the EV model, which will have an even bigger expanse of cheap black plastic up front.

It's one of those things, like the nubbin in the 992, that you just have to live with if you want the improvements in the newer-generation model. I'd be reluctant to let cosmetic details steer me away from choosing the best vehicle for my budget and interests... but it really, really sucks that Porsche forces such a choice on us. "Ja, is ugly, nicht wahr? Vat are you going to do, buy a BMW? LOL"
Absolutely !! This Macan will be the best driving Macan out of the generation . Its pulling Turbo PP numbers with a more efficient engine and PDK . I aim excited but have no choice to navigate through the imperfections .

1 - 20 of 53 Posts