Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed 15K miles on my GTS and it hasn't even been one year yet . So here's a few things I love about the car (not in any order) :

1) The Price -- At the 50's for the base and slightly over 100K for a Turbo PP the GTS is planted right in the middle . Yet what one gets for the price is phenominal . The black accents, 20 in wheels , tuned suspension , tweaked throttle map, AS/PASM/PSE ... makes the car a great value within the lineup . I do not feel I overpaid one bit for what the GTS offers .

2) The appearance -- Out of my three Macan cars this one really turns heads . In fact just the other day I saw a beautiful woman driving a GTS and it turned out to be my wife ! ! Ok so i am biased but the truth is I noticed.

3) The sound -- It's my opinion that out of every OEM exhaust Turbo engine I have heard in a Porsche the Macan GTS really nails it !!! What an incredible exhaust note from start up to city driving to wide open throttle .

4) The Hp - The GTS has just enough Hp to push it with a confident comfort level . It makes the vehicle really fun to drive . Outside of straight line speed I felt much of my previous Macan Turbo just wasnt really needed . I still did like the car though .It is true that the occasional power launch in the Turbo was fun but frankly having a 911 turbo is my go to car if I feel I want to throw my back out and experience some nausea .

·
Registered
454 Posts
you should get brownie points for #2 . I agree that GTS is an amazing car. Taking mine in on Monday for its first service. I only have 6,500 on mine though. I love it each time I get in it. The one thing I don't like though is cleaning the wheels. It is hard with matte black. I actually wish they were gloss black.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I think the answer is before spending this type of money you need to do you own research after listening to what different forum members need to say as there's a wide variety of opinions here.

I was ready to order a GTS and the dealer suggested I drive a Turbo, and in 15 minutes the answer for me was obvious. I tend to keep my cars a long time, and realized that if I bought a GTS I would forever be wanting for more power and kicking myself for a long time. In fact, one of my friends picked up a new GTS last week, and when I drove it it absolutely reinforced my decision.

It's not just the horsepower difference, it's how and when the Turbo makes it's power, and how very useable that power is in day to day driving because of all the extra torque at lower RPM's.

Granted the Turbo price of admission is not low, but then again even if you compare the GTS to the all out Turbo PP, there's only a $15-$16k difference in price for comparably equipped cars.

I don't think there's any such thing as a Porsche that's a value play, even the base. My opinion is that if you are going to go for it, well then go for it and don't cut yourself short.

On the other hand, even with the Turbo I find myself wishing for even more power (perhaps because the Turbo makes it seem so effortless) and I'm seriously considering the Cobb product, which to me seems to make more sense than the PP upgrade cost, other than the potential warranty issues, which over time I've become more comfortable with as I don't hear of engines blowing up.

But don't listen to me as you may have a different perspective. By all means, drive the cars yourself and decide for yourself. If you are satisfied with the GTS' power it may be the right answer for you. And there's going to be plenty of buyers perfectly happy with the S and the base too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
@ yrralis1 sir. You know I love this kind of thread which is why I will call my commentary the chronicle of owning my baddass Macan.

1 2 3 Ok here I go: My GTS is simply perfect! in my own eyes. Let go out and confess right away, I envy the PP folks and hope they all enjoy their dang PP's as much as I enjoy my GTS. BUT LOOK an equally optioned PP for me is around $107K, that much money for me has to go towards the future street legal GT4 PDK (hope it happens and I can afford it, current 165k clubsport says otherwise). So maybe pipe dream. From a roll below 100 mph, this thing holds its own against many quick cars. I have driven scary fast, I really don't want that in a CUV. Hey people all that does is destroy are your tires :) surprise? hardly not. I am already taking it easy to stretch out the remaining life on my absolutely fantastic summer tires. I can only wonder how much less life I will get out if I own a PP. Porsche to me is not all about straight line prowess but the supreme driving dynamics that makes it absolute fun even at very low speed. And to me outside mad speed, all macans or the GTS ticks all these boxes. The way the GTS shifts through gears I so much love, hearing that Cobb tunes change this unique characteristic took it out of consideration for me.

With the recent price hike, I now see my added options as a steal or huge bargain. I took a look at the new panamera interior and I ask myself what happens when this trickle down to the Macan and my answer is "if it does not break don't fix it" but we will see when that happens

The only two issues that worries me are 1. what happens when warranty runs out, keep it and get extended warranty or sell it and get what another macan or try something else.

Stelvio Quadrifoglio or Electric?!! ha ha ha..HA HA HA HA... so funny...HA HA HA HA

Long story short.....My Macan is geniusly (is that a word?) perfect!

·
Registered
904 Posts
The "why I love the Macan GTS " thread !!

The main thing I LOVE about the GTS is the handling. Let's face it, almost anyone can do brute-force HP, but it is how you apply that power and how does the vehicle handle that makes a huge difference.

I don't need to go to the track to feel everyday how composed the GTS is: getting in and out of the highway, doing U turns without hearing a single tire squeal or feeling the vehicle is about to roll over. This vehicle has a finesse on its handling that no other vehicle in its class, and only few above it, can match.

Of course then there is the way it looks. Sleek, menacing, powerful. Gotta love the way the GTS looks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think the answer is before spending this type of money you need to do you own research after listening to what different forum members need to say as there's a wide variety of opinions here.

I was ready to order a GTS and the dealer suggested I drive a Turbo, and in 15 minutes the answer for me was obvious. I tend to keep my cars a long time, and realized that if I bought a GTS I would forever be wanting for more power and kicking myself for a long time. In fact, one of my friends picked up a new GTS last week, and when I drove it it absolutely reinforced my decision.

It's not just the horsepower difference, it's how and when the Turbo makes it's power, and how very useable that power is in day to day driving because of all the extra torque at lower RPM's.

Granted the Turbo price of admission is not low, but then again even if you compare the GTS to the all out Turbo PP, there's only a $15-$16k difference in price for comparably equipped cars.

I don't think there's any such thing as a Porsche that's a value play, even the base. My opinion is that if you are going to go for it, well then go for it and don't cut yourself short.

On the other hand, even with the Turbo I find myself wishing for even more power (perhaps because the Turbo makes it seem so effortless) and I'm seriously considering the Cobb product, which to me seems to make more sense than the PP upgrade cost, other than the potential warranty issues, which over time I've become more comfortable with as I don't hear of engines blowing up.

But don't listen to me as you may have a different perspective. By all means, drive the cars yourself and decide for yourself. If you are satisfied with the GTS' power it may be the right answer for you. And there's going to be plenty of buyers perfectly happy with the S and the base too.
If I only put 5000-10000 miles a year on a vehicle and planned to keep it for more than 4-5 years, I absolutely agree that the PP would make sense over the GTS given the 15K spread in cost. However, I will be using this as a fairly high mileage DD (20K or so a year), and it is already financially absurd for that utilitarian purpose so had to draw the line somewhere ;) I hope to love the GTS as much as @yrralis1 soon!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Make sure your wife sees #2 - nicely done, sir.

I agree with everything you said. Only rarely do I wish my GTS had more power (I'm not going to tune the engine) and on occasions I shouldn't be driving that fast anyway. The amount of versatility it has is one of my favorite features. Push a few buttons and the handling, throttle response, and sound are excellent. The electronics make me a much better driver than I am. Push the buttons again and I can pleasantly drive around with my wife who probably wouldn't appreciate a harder, louder ride from the passengers seat.

If you like performance, need some utility, and can have only one vehicle, this is it. I've also been surprised at how the auto journalists (an obviously jaded group) seem to love the Macan, and GTS in particular. One is hard-pressed to find a negative review. Hopefully future models continue in the same direction. Would like to have one in my garage next to an eventual 911.

·
Registered
483 Posts
1) The price - At a modest 84k CDN build, I also feel like its a great value compared to other high end SUV's (RR, AMG's, M's).

2) The look - My combo is definitely a head turner especially once I hit the throttle. People also love the plate, get all sorts of thumbs up and laughs. Feels like I'm driving something more exotic than it really is.

3) The drive - Pleasure to drive in all conditions, low speed city, highway or backroads. Power is all I need in a truck, more HP is better allocated to a 2nd car i.e. sportscar.

4( Utility - Perfect car for a small family. With the OEM cross bars and cargo box there is no need for anything bigger which would end up driving like a truck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
1. Stock PSE
2. Stock Black RS Spyders
3. Stock Sport Design fascia
4. Stock AS/PASM
5. Goldilocks trim/bang for your buck

Just like your S.O., if every time you walk away, you look back...you're doing it right. Regardless of what make, model, or trim. That being said I get to look back at this beast and it always keeps me smiling. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
1. The sound! It's so obnoxious! Wow, I love the sound
2. Accelerating to the speed limit on a highway on ramp. It's an SUV and it feels like a sports car!
3. The attention to detail in the interior. There are so many little things I notice that I've just never seen in previous cars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mentioned this thread to my wife tonight . She loves the Macan more than any orher car she ever had and the GTS has been her favorite one . She gets disappointed if she has to take the Boxster to work on a given day . It's not because she doesn't like the Boxster . She simply misses not having the Macan . When we were given the base car loaner she missed it. Of the two of us I think this GTS car suits her even more than me .

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
She gets disappointed if she has to take the Boxster to work on a given day. It's not because she doesn't like the Boxster . She simply misses not having the Macan . When we were given the base car loaner she missed it. Of the two of us I think this GTS car suits her even more than me .
I feel the same way when I have to drive my X5. First world problems, eh?!;)

The sound is beautifully obnoxious. It truly turns heads when you start the engine or pull out of a parking spot. I've got LOTS of high end Euro cars in my area, and I find that the Macan turns tons of heads because of its unique design and beautiful sound. "Wait...what is that car?!" I've gotten that more than a handful of times. Unfortunately I am seeing lots of them around, mostly of the S variety. I think my secret is out!

Guy down the street from me has a pair of 2016 GTSs--a Cayenne and a Panamera. Both in black. He drives the Pana, his wife the ute. He's also a believer that the GTS is the sweet spot in the lineup, as is his wife. A friend has a '15 S and is thinking hard about upgrading to a GTS. As is another neighbor that has a '16 S.

I love how we can tailor the car to our mood or driving condition. There is enough granularity in the settings to adjust the suspension and transmission for lazy comfort or spirited speed. While I am sure the Turbo engine IS all that AND a bag of chips, I'm quite content with the GTS badge on the back. Rather than focus on the word Turbo, those riding my rear can spend their time trying to figure out the origin & meaning of my obscure vanity plate.

·
Registered
550 Posts
1) The price - At a modest 84k CDN build, I also feel like its a great value compared to other high end SUV's (RR, AMG's, M's).

2) The look - My combo is definitely a head turner especially once I hit the throttle. People also love the plate, get all sorts of thumbs up and laughs. Feels like I'm driving something more exotic than it really is.

3) The drive - Pleasure to drive in all conditions, low speed city, highway or backroads. Power is all I need in a truck, more HP is better allocated to a 2nd car i.e. sportscar.

4( Utility - Perfect car for a small family. With the OEM cross bars and cargo box there is no need for anything bigger which would end up driving like a truck.
any pictures of your car?

·
Registered
574 Posts

Amen on everything you wrote. I went from the Turbo to the GTS and is was a big mistake. My GTS just turned 1,000 miles today......1,000 miles of wishing I waited longer for the Turbo! And to each his own, some would just love the base model. I want as much power as possible (I really should have pulled the trigger on the Q8RS but the fools wanted 30K ADM so I walked).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts