Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I believe it, the Golf R is a fun little car, and the base Macan is underpowered in my opinion. Given the weight and height difference it's no surprise the Golf R handles better (7-8 inches, 700-800 lbs). It also makes it silly to compare the two. The base Macan isn't THAT much cheaper than a base Cayman, if you were looking into a Porsche entirely for the handling/sports car aspect then that's what you'd be going for in that price range.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I would take the Golf R over the base Macan. Faster and more fun, nearly the same cargo space, awd, and cheaper...no brainer.

I ain’t got no brains. I am a long-time V-dubber and the Golf R is awesome but it lacks all the polish and creatures comforts found in my Macan. Different strokes for me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Having owned a Golf R before buying my Macan, I get it. The R is a great car and a lot of fun, and although logically and dimensionally they are very different cars, physical size aside there are more similarities than differences I think.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I ain’t got no brains. I am a long-time V-dubber and the Golf R is awesome but it lacks all the polish and creatures comforts found in my Macan. Different strokes for me.
I’m with you fincher. I find my base plenty sporty for my city driving and would not give up the ground clearance and the creature comforts for a lesser spec’d hatch back. I’m a fan of the Golf but being in my 50s a little bit of refinement suits my personal tastes much better.

The ground clearance of an SUV is really important to me with the winters we have in Edmonton, Alberta....too many experiences with cars bottoming out from too much snow in a subdivision that may see a snowplow once a winter.

The Golf certainly is fun to drive on dry pavement though.

Reactions: philbert and Leeski

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a VW enthusiast, the R is a great car. I've owned VW's all my life and the reason I purchased a highly optioned base Macan was because of the two CC's I owned with the 2L Turbo. The Macan has enough engine to get you in trouble with a nice blend of economy and comfort with great visibility, a touring car. Personally, I don't think you can compare the two as they are on different ends of the spectrum and appeal to different demographics. JMHO for what its worth.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
It may just be my ignorance, but I don't see them as similar cars at all.

In addition to that, if you've never owned a VW (I owned the 2004 Touareg when it first came out and loved it), be ready for a wild ride any time you need service. I ventured to at least 3 or 4 dealers for service (the Touareg had a lot of teething problems) and they all sucked.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just don't understand, why do people keep comparing the Macan to cars and trucks that are not in the same class? Even vs the Jag and Alfa, they are more vs the Cayenne due to it's size. Even crazy comparisons like Macan vs Cayman?

Same 'class' should be like the Q5 (obviously), X3, XC60, GLA, ...etc.?

In this case ... Car vs Truck?

Kudos to the Macan to be seen in this light, but let's get realistic ...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
We we looking for a very refined CUV with sporty characteristics. Other owners’ needs lean more toward sports car like performance. So we carefully cross shopped the GLC, X3, Q5, and Macan, all 2017’s with 2.0t engines. None of them were underpowered with respect to our needs. All could be underpowered with respect to other people’s needs. Inserting the VW into our shopping mix would be like one of those tests asking you to identify which of these five doesn’t belong.

Anyway, to us the Macan stood out among the four for its combination of handling, planted/solid feel, and ergonomics. My wife is a chiropractor and comments that there’s something special when she puts her hands on either the Cayenne or Macan. There’s something intangible to me too. I don’t think we overlooked anything.

Reactions: philbert and Orzel

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Macan is better for me for many reasons:

1) the Macan has more ground clearance in winter. I live where it snows and I only own one vehicle.
2) I have a bad back so small sports cars with firm suspensions and hard seats are out of the question. The Macan has very comfortable seats.
3) the Macan has higher profile tires which lessen the risk of curb rash.
4) better visibility in the Macan from higher ride height.
5) the Macan is safer in a crash.
6) the Macan is better over potholes.
7) the Macan is bigger and less cramped.
8) I don't need to take corners like a racecar driver and I don't want a manual transmission.
9) the Macan is more stealth to cops.
10) the Macan feels more robust and quality than a small car.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My car immediately prior to the Macan was a MK6 GTI and would have pulled the trigger on a MK7 R if the one I saw in the showroom had the proper Pretoria wheels but the US didn't get those until MY 2017. I really did enjoy the dynamics of my GTI. I had chosen a mid-level trim because I didn't plan on it being a long term 10+ years car for me. It was just supposed to be a fun commuter tool but before long, I had to mod it like I do with everything. It responded so well to the APR ECU and DSG tunes. It was a lot of fun and it was easy to just stick it into pretty much any open parking spot and I didn't care. Now the negatives where that I had to go back to the dealer for warranty issues like 5 times. It also never got as good of a gas mileage as I was hoping for. And as much as I loved the rear hatch, I had to fold down the rear seats pretty much every time for anything larger than a couple of suit cases.

I ended up not get a MK7 R because I wanted something more different. As nice as the MK7 R is, to me, it had even more negatives with worse fuel mileage than the GTI and I would care more about where I would park it. So with those factors anyways, I might as well go bigger with a Macan and I wanted a Porsche by the time I turned 40. The Golf R still doesn't have auto dimming mirrors or Homelink but it does have Android Auto standard. The two things that would make the Macan perfect for me would have been Android Auto and a half inch lower ride height on the lowest setting.

I don't think there are any people out there cross shopping base Macans and Golf Rs. Totally different demographics. That article misses the important emotional factor of choosing a car. If comparing toasters to toasters, then yes, of course the Golf R is a "better buy".

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tend to agree with the article, the Macan is my wife's car and she really wanted the ride height. Obviously, there's no CUV out there than can outhandle the Macan and she is very happy. :)
But if I was given the choice between the Golf R and the Macan, I'd take the R all day and pocket the savings.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but the base Macan is a rather compromised vehicle. It's neither particularly fast, nor particularly agile (it is 4000 lbs after all and 63" high), nor particularly spacious, yet it costs about $60K. I mean, unless you go off-road or live in the snowbelt, why wouldn't anyone prefer the Golf R or wagons such as the Volvo V90 or V60 Polestar, or even the $70K Jag XF Sportbrake? Is the Porsche badge THAT important?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I tend to agree with the article, the Macan is my wife's car and she really wanted the ride height. Obviously, there's no CUV out there than can outhandle the Macan and she is very happy. :)
But if I was given the choice between the Golf R and the Macan, I'd take the R all day and pocket the savings.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but the base Macan is a rather compromised vehicle. It's neither particularly fast, nor particularly agile (it is 4000 lbs after all and 63" high), nor particularly spacious, yet it costs about $60K. I mean, unless you go off-road or live in the snowbelt, why wouldn't anyone prefer the Golf R or wagons such as the Volvo V90 or V60 Polestar, or even the $70K Jag XF Sportbrake? Is the Porsche badge THAT important?
It has nothing to do with badges. I’d also prefer the 2.0t versions of the Q5, X3, and GLC over the VW. I’d take RDX over the VW. The CR-V too. Your wife gets it. Things like adjustable/supportive seats, quiet cabins, and ground clearance come to mind. Getting up my driveway without leaving paint on the concrete matters.

This review is like writing up the F150, Silverado, and Ridgeline and then saying the Ridgeline is the better value. All are fine pickups in their own segments but they are obviously two different segments. I’d take the Ridgeline btw, although it’s clearly the lesser truck.

Reactions: L_K and fincher

·
Registered
393 Posts
No one needs to get defensive, enjoy the car you own. If I had to chose between the two, it’s highly likely I would go with the R. It’s the best, most desirable car in the VW lineup for many reasons. I was actually amazed that cargo space was nearly identical...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yet the golf r is faster 0-100 than a macan S and GTS, and on par with Turbo. Does that mean it’s a better buy than all those models? Why the need to bash the base only?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts