Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just picked up my Macan GTS - she is more than I could have dreamed of :)

I know 93 Octane was recommended, so anyone know who sells it and where it can be obtained in TO - west side of town?

And if no 93, is Shell V-Power (which I believe is 91 ethanol free) a suitable substitute?

thanks!

Regards

D

·
Registered
273 Posts
From my research, Shell 91 V-Power Nitro+ and Petrocan 91 are the two non-ethanol blend gasolines commonly available in Canada. Petrocan also has Ultra 94 at some stations which has 10% ethanol. Others seem to have ethanol blended up to 10%.

Based on your tolerance to ethanol, you can choose accordingly. My personal choice is Shell, with Petrocan as a backup -- no ethanol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't have my manual with me, but is the 93 the AKI number or the RON number?
My S only requires 91 AKI.
I stick to Shell 91

For my Cayman, that requires 93 AKI, so Chevron for that one as they are more often the only station with 94.

From the online manual. Will work fine on 91.

Your engine is designed to provide optimum performance and fuel economy using unleaded premium fuel with an octane rating of 98 RON/ 88 MON (93 CLC or AKI). Porsche therefore recommends the use of these fuels in your vehicle.

Porsche also recognizes that these fuels may not always be available. Be assured that your vehicle will operate properly on unleaded premium fuels with octane numbers of at least 95 RON/ 85 MON (90 CLC or AKI), since the engine’s “Electronic Octane™ knock control” will adapt the ignition timing, if necessary.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Shell or Petrocan 91. Available everywhere in Canada. And no ethanol. I even use them in my snow blower because the lack of ethanol keeps seals and lines from leaking over time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To respond to your "93" question - I was referring to whatever the pump says - the Porsche guy casually said "just get 93" - but I have yet to see a pump in Canada with 93 on it. SO its down to 91 (no Ethanol) or 94 (with Ethanol) Im leaning towards 91 no Ethanol.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Costco is listed as Top Tier Gas along with Shell and Chevron etc.
Yes, it is Top Tier as are most gasolines in North America with some exceptions. The differentiators are alcohol content and additives which differ by brand. I could not find any clear statement about Costco ethanol content, although they mentioned ethanol in their Q&A. https://www.costco.ca/gasoline-q-and-a.html

·
Registered
262 Posts
My garage queen is a 1997 BMW 318i, 4 cylinder manual shifter. Just a recently I ran the gas tank almost empty then filled up with non-ethanol fuel. It seemed to add a small but noticeable increase in power, enough to convince me of its value. The Macan goes there next when fuel is needed.

As I understand it, Top Tier Gas refers to standards set for the highest level of additives, detergents, etc. for "cleaner" burning fuel.

Our owner's manual is not helpful to me in understanding fuel requirements for the various Macan models. We have RON, MON,CLC, and AKI. Those stand for Research Octane Number, Motor Octane Number, Cost of Living Council, and Anti-Knock Index, all derived through different test conditions or mathematical averages (RON + MON/2 = AKI). Digging deeper it looks like 98 RON plus 88 MON, divided by 2, equals 93 CLC or AKI. If that is correct then the Turbo, GTS, and S all run best at 93 AKI octane while the 4C can do well with 90 AKI octane.

In my part of Washington State USA, Costco Gas has premium fuel at 91 AKI with 10% Ethanol. Our two non-ethanol stations have 92 AKI octane for not much more than Costco prices. Looks good enough to switch to the better stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts