Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of installing it myself - I'm a gear-head after all.

Ummmmm...not after I read the manual. Not that's it's too difficult but seemed like way too much risk as most of the effort is modifying the electronics (A LOT), not the mechanics. I was surprised that the wiring didn't already exist and it was not a simple plug-in. It's easy to see why it takes 5.5 hours.

Thought some of you may want to see it was well but the forum .PDF file size limit is 20k (I think AOL back in 1985 had a larger limit).

Moderator- can we get that bumped up?

PS- If you want a copy just PM me and I'll email it to you (About a 3MB .PDF)

·
Registered
912 Posts
I was thinking of installing it myself - I'm a gear-head after all.

Ummmmm...not after I read the manual. Not that's it's too difficult but seemed like way too much risk as most of the effort is modifying the electronics (A LOT), not the mechanics. I was surprised that the wiring didn't already exist and it was not a simple plug-in. It's easy to see why it takes 5.5 hours.

Thought some of you may want to see it was well but the forum .PDF file size limit is 20k (I think AOL back in 1985 had a larger limit).

Moderator- can we get that bumped up?

PS- If you want a copy just PM me and I'll email it to you (About a 3MB .PDF)

PM sent. Ill host it on my server for the group.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sent!

PS: Here is the opening note in the Guide:

The sports exhaust system is activated and deactivated using the strip for switches with the additional
"Twin tailpipe" button or the standard "Sport" button. The sports exhaust system can be deactivated
in Sport mode by pressing the "Twin tailpipe" button.
The strip for switches must be ordered separately.
Engine power and exhaust behavior of the vehicle are not affected. The sports exhaust system is
also available ex-works for new vehicles by requesting optional equipment “0P8/0P9”.

Also it seems like the PSE is more sophisticated than it appears on the surface (why it's a Porsche I suppose). Here's a another note on page 12 of 25:
"Fit the engine noise pulse sender and the control." There's also a reference to setting interior sound measures for the on-board computer.

It sounds (no pun intended) that the PSE continually controls exhaust DB output by responses via an interior sensor...that's pretty impressive!

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
My Turbo has a great exhaust note, but it sure would b nice to hear it from the drivers seat. I would really like the PSE over the after market exhausts, just to shut it up those few times when I wouldn't want to hear it, like on an extended trip or driving by some speed cops.

For the 5.5 hrs labor, what is a typical shop labor rate? The first dealer who quoted me installed cost of $4800 claimed that included a 10% discount. For the 5.5 hrs labor, their price to me at a 10% discount should be about $3000 for the parts and $1800 labor, which implies to me they tried to get over $300 per hr for shop labor. Seems like attempted robbery... What do y'all think?

·
Registered
950 Posts
My Turbo has a great exhaust note, but it sure would b nice to hear it from the drivers seat. I would really like the PSE over the after market exhausts, just to shut it up those few times when I wouldn't want to hear it, like on an extended trip or driving by some speed cops.

For the 5.5 hrs labor, what is a typical shop labor rate? The first dealer who quoted me installed cost of $4800 claimed that included a 10% discount. For the 5.5 hrs labor, their price to me at a 10% discount should be about $3000 for the parts and $1800 labor, which implies to me they tried to get over $300 per hr for shop labor. Seems like attempted robbery... What do y'all think?
I just bought the Remus cat back & my dealer is installing it tomorrow. It has the valves and wiring into the sport button, which is why it's the only aftermarket exhaust I considered. I looked at PSE but my SA said I should lol aftermarket first because the PSE install is so expensive. I'll post something once I get it put in.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
What do u expect for ur total installed cost on the Remus?

Please report ur impressions when u get it.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Just read it. Holy crap ! You have to take half the car apart. 5.5 hrs seems like a fair estimate. Would take me a whole day.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Thanks for posting. The document at the end states "530 TU" for installation. Is that 530 minutes or 5hrs 30 minutes? I was quoted $1250 labor to install both PSE and Sport Plus. I believe DFW labor rates are around $150. Sounds reasonable after trying to grasp what all is involved in the install. And yes, impressive that it appears to be "actively" managing dB level in the cabin. Someone in the know care to clean up my numbers?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks for posting. The document at the end states "530 TU" for installation. Is that minutes? I was quoted $1250 labor to install both PSE and Sport Plus. Sounds reasonable after trying to grasp what all is involved in the install. And yes, impressive that it appears to be "actively" managing dB level in the cabin.
My guess is that the sport plus adds ten minutes or less to the time because the console already has to be taken apart for the PSE. Maybe someone knows for sure but I think the 530TU represents the just under nine hours that it takes an experienced tech to do this procedure. They do time studies for purposes of setting warranty repayment rates. $1,250 sounds like 10 hrs @ $125/hr. It's a lot of money but reasonable in context that my dealer's "rack" labor rate is $175/hr.

·
Registered
950 Posts

I got the carbon tips, which pushed the price up considerably but the install is MUCH cheaper than PSE. Dealer says they can easily install Remus in two hours because it's a direct fit and re-uses the existing wiring. They take the valve on the right rear of the OEM exhaust and use it to control the valves in both sides of the Remus by daisy chaining them. My dealer does a lot of PSE retrofits and aftermarket systems on all cars. My SA said at least a couple a month across all models.

I got a decent discount on the Remus so I'm expecting a total installed cost of $4k. That's the MOST it could cost though because I got full cat back and carbon tips. Axle back with stainless tips can be done for under $3k. $4,500 was about the best all-in number I'd have been able to get on PSE and the Remus is very well regarded so I decided to give them a chance. I hope I like it - still nervous/a lot of money to spend for noise (same price as Burm!).

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Not quite what it seems

The "Engine Noise Pulse Sender" attached to the bulkhead and all the control wiring are a surprise. There's an active noise generator apparently getting signals from the main ECU and resonating the bulkhead!

Also curious that the US spec has different silencers. Louder or quieter? Has to be one or the other.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I got the carbon tips, which pushed the price up considerably but the install is MUCH cheaper than PSE. Dealer says they can easily install Remus in two hours because it's a direct fit and re-uses the existing wiring. They take the valve on the right rear of the OEM exhaust and use it to control the valves in both sides of the Remus by daisy chaining them. My dealer does a lot of PSE retrofits and aftermarket systems on all cars. My SA said at least a couple a month across all models.

I got a decent discount on the Remus so I'm expecting a total installed cost of $4k. That's the MOST it could cost though because I got full cat back and carbon tips. Axle back with stainless tips can be done for under $3k. $4,500 was about the best all-in number I'd have been able to get on PSE and the Remus is very well regarded so I decided to give them a chance. I hope I like it - still nervous/a lot of money to spend for noise (same price as Burm!).

Please post your thoughts as soon as you can. I have the remus in my garage. It arrived yesterday. I love a good aggressive sound, but never want it to be super loud. I also want it to be near stock levels in non sport mode.

I have a 991 GT3 with Sharkwerks bypass for the days I want to let it all hang out. The macan is nearly a perfect DD for me. All it needs is a little bit more aggressive exhaust note. I'm hoping this is the ticket.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
950 Posts

Please post your thoughts as soon as you can. I have the remus in my garage. It arrived yesterday. I love a good aggressive sound, but never want it to be super loud. I also want it to be near stock levels in non sport mode.

I have a 991 GT3 with Sharkwerks bypass for the days I want to let it all hang out. The macan is nearly a perfect DD for me. All it needs is a little bit more aggressive exhaust note. I'm hoping this is the ticket.

Thanks!!
It'll be a little while to break in but I got the Remus on Friday (two hours turned into three days due to five unrelated service campaigns). Initial reactions:

1. It looks bada$$. Nice custom look - the carbon tips look awesome
2. Cold start sound (esp. in sport) is AWESOME. I've always loved it but now it's just a deeper and louder sound.
2. In comfort mode the difference is barely noticeable. With the radio off there is a slight noticeable drone around 1,500-2,000 rpm on light throttle on the highway. The increase in pipe size from 65mm to 70mm makes it a deeper sound. Not bothersome & after about 20 minutes I wasn't obsessing over trying to hear it so I stopped noticing it.
3. On the same topic, that small increase in sound makes the car feel more responsive. I've always felt that the Macan is brilliant but almost too good in that it's hard to feel where the engine is at. The sound helps complete the experience of what's going on.
4. In sport mode it's significantly louder, but it's nowhere near screamer territory. My first reaction was to be a bit disappointed that it wasn't louder, although I think it'll be much more liveable over time as it is. If you want monster sound go with GMG or TechArt. I chose Remus on reputation and on the fact that it uses the OEM valve setup to keep a "wife mode" where it's quiet. My second drive with the Remus on was carrying my baby and the baby still fell asleep on the way home if that's any indication. Non-sport is only marginally life than stock.
5. All the decel burbles is the stock exhaust are the same, only louder and deeper. They sound awesome.
6. I found the stock exhaust broke in a lot over the first few thousand miles so I'm mostly withholding judgment on the Remus until it's thoroughly broken in. I must say I was disappointed it wasn't louder at first but I've already changed my mind on that & I expect it to get louder as it breaks in.
7. It was a lot of money but on balance I'd buy it again. It makes me feel more connected to the driving experience & eliminated the "something is missing" feeling I've always had about the Macan because it was so quiet unless you really jam the throttle.

Disclaimers/disclosures:
1. I have the privacy glass which I love due to it keeping my black interior cool, but that option definitely contributed to my dissatisfaction with the stock exhaust.
2. PSE was not available yet when my Macan was built. If it was I would have gotten it, but for a retrofit I think Remus/ GMG/TechArt at better options.
3. Dealer installed it and recommended I keep the stock exhaust to be put back on if I ever want it CPO'd on trade-in. That's a strong point for PSE vs any aftermarket solution but I pen on keeping it five or six years ago not a concern for me. This should be a concern for anyone planning on keeping their Macan three years or less.

·
Registered
950 Posts
A couple of pics

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
Nice upgrade with the sound. The exhaust tips seems to pop out a bit long though? But maybe just is the angle of the image?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts