Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right thread. Just read above and you will have you answer...and likely more on the subject than you wanted :giggle:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealer has told me my upcoming routine 30.000 km oil change on my 2017 Macan Turbo involves more than just an oil change and will cost about $2500. I’ve researched it and other high end specialty but non-Porsche shops and found one that is highly rated. It will cost about half what Porsche have quoted.
When I bought my Macan, Porsche gave me an extra 2-years unlimited kilometres warrantee that lasts until August 2024. My question is this: will getting this service outside of Porsche void my warrantee in any way regardless of how good and competent the non-Porsche service facility is? If so I’ll spend the extra at Porsche. But of course I’d prefer to get all the work done for the lower amount. Your advice and experience in this area are appreciated.

·
Registered
968 Posts
No. It will not void your warranty. KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS. Collect them. Hole punch them. And put them in a binder. Reason: imagine wanting to buy a vehicle and the owner had a binder showing all work ever done to it. You think it would help you make a more informed decision? I'd venture the answer would be 'yes'.

But, this is more for you too. No matter where you go for repairs or maintenance, the mechanic can see whatever was done to the vehicle before he digs into repairing it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bob, exactly what I asked my dealership about a 2 year warranty extension and this is their response;

I’ve just gone over the Brochure quickly, all services must be performed in an authorized Porsche Dealership. It is one of the requirement on our 111 pt inspection checklist.

Thank you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This thread is super entertaining. People concerned that powder coating wheels or painting brake calipers would void the warranty? Preposterous.
If you or your mechanic install non Porsche parts then Porsche will not replace those parts under warranty. Why is that odd? They didn't make them or install them.

If you have you calipers off and then crash the car because of a braking problem then I would expect Porsche to forward you to their legal department.
If you paint your calipers and the engine blows next week then Porsche would have a nearly impossible time relating the two situations and would lose, should they attempt to void your warranty.

Others have pointed it out here, but at the Porsche driver experience centers they launch these cars all day long. They replace tires and brakes almost daily. They are not blowing up engines, transfer cases or clutches.

And THEN they sell it as a CPO car with extended warranty. They would be insane to do this if the cars were as frail and some think they are.

I installed the Cobb because my dealer told me to. How do you suppose PCNA would look in court when you bring the ad in from sunset Porsche website offering the Cobb for sale? Like idiots, that's how. If they were even sort of worried they would either stop that s*** ASAP or force them to include a statement saying "warning, installing this product will void your warranty". They don't.

If you hang fuzzy dice from your mirror and neglect/abuse your car + have no service records then PCNA had already seen hundreds of people just like you. It ain't the fuzzy dice that are the problem.

I'll throw down (again) right here. Can ANYONE out there provide specifics on how PCNA denied a warranty claim using the basis of aftermarket parts on a Macan?

Has ANYONE here blown an engine?

Didn't think so.

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
Has ANYONE here blown an engine?
Sure:

also posted in the UK under Macan Turbo engine damaged | Porsche Forum from Porsche Club GB

another one Macan breakdown | Porsche Forum from Porsche Club GB

Bear in mind that a small percentage of Macan owners ever post, or even know about, any internet forum. You don't know what you don't know. Granted, these were not aftermarket parts but you just asked for a blown engine.

Regarding warranty being denied for aftermarket parts, thats probably easy to find throughout the pcar world. Google it. These are not Macans but the point is similar.

Warranty denied but paid partially through a special fund

PCNA denied aftermarket springs INSTALLED by a dealer. Why would the dealer care what they install? They get paid whether PCNA pays or you pay.

Chipped car, engine blows, no warranty

aftermarket cat? warranty denied

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
I'll throw down (again) right here. Can ANYONE out there provide specifics on how PCNA denied a warranty claim using the basis of aftermarket parts on a Macan?
A last thing about this.

First, the number of physical members here represents maybe 10% of the cars sold. Add the other Macan forums, from RL and GB and wherever else, I doubt you get beyond 25%. Within that count the Pareto Principle applies, that is, its only a small core group of people that make most of the posts. Many people come, go, ask a question, then leave. So you will never get a truly representative answer for this question among the full number of Macan owners or past owners.

Second, and maybe far more important than the fact most owners never post inside of a forum, is the "type" of owner. This CUV was targeting by Porsche at DINKs and empty nesters. Here, there are some members that view it as an alternate, AWD sports sedan. That's fine. But that is not what the majority of owners view it. Its just another CUV, an expensive one at that, but just another CUV. Many people post that they fear the cost of ownership outside of the warranty people, then bail, take the depreciation hit, and just buy another new car. That's their choice.

So you might want to find out the percentage of Macan owners that have actually modified their cars, within the warranty period vs the Sports Car owners. You might find it few. Here's a wild guess, of the 200,000 Macans, I'll guess 5% tops. By modify I mean a tune or suspension changes, not adding an aftermarket air filter, different wheels, catback, etc. Now compare that to the sports cars owners. Many of them really wanted the more expensive model but bought maybe a S and try to get the HP up to the GTS level, etc. Or changed suspensions to autocross of track days. How many Macans autocross or do track days? 3?

You see the point. There is a VAST difference between the type of owners, what they do, and how they modify their cars. Correspondingly you will see far few warranty denials simply because far fewer "serious", not cosmetic mods, are done by CUV owners. The numbers just aren't their. I have no proof of this but I might think that the average new Macan buyer has no idea an internet forum exists and will NEVER modify their car in a significant way. Therefore, there will be few warranty denials.

Lastly, abuse is accumulative. The effects might not be seen by the original owner. But consider that the car was designed to behave a certain way, within tolerances, for a certain length of time. Now, for example, do a suspension or engine change. Crank up the boost. How often does the driver drive at WOT. How much sooner will the turbos destroy themselves they wouldn't otherwise? If they would have lasted 15 years but they destroyed themselves from abuse at 8 years. Who loses? Lower springs, solid bushings, stiffer sway bars and the car might handle better. How often is the car at 10/10s? Do you brake harder and more often? Will the brakes prematurely fail because they haven't been corresponding upgraded? The effects are accumulative.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm about 6 months into a pre-owned 2017 Macan S. (Loving it, btw). I'm at 17.5K miles and due for the 2 yr/20k service (based on timing). Last service was approx 10K miles in Dec 2018 done by previous owner at Porsche dealer (DFW).

Question for the forum.... thoughts on having it done at Indy shop vs Dealer? ... there's an obvious cost difference (more significant than I anticipated)... but I'm most curious/concerned about any potential imapct to remaining factory warranty (currently good through 50k miles or March 2021)...

Thoughts? and thank you!!

TT

41 - 51 of 51 Posts