Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would imagine the technology and driving dynamics in the Mercedes GLC AMG 63 are better than the Macan GTS and the tech is better in the regular GLC. I know my ordered AMG E 63s wagon is light years ahead of Porsche in tech and the driving...well just watch some YouTube videos and make your own opinion. The video on a road course following a 911 is fantastic and almost passed it a couple of times before it missed the entry point on a corner and faded back some. It even has dynamic motor mounts and a few other goodies to help with the handling. The 2.9 0-60 (which is the same time as a C8 Corvette) isn't too bad either for a 4600lb family and grocery hauler.
The GLC is an aged platform and its driving dynamics: stopping, steering, chassis controls, transitions are completely different than the Porsche. The 63 is stiffly suspended and it drives like a muscle car--the entire focus is on the engine. The engine is glorious with enormous low end torque. It does not like or need to be red-lined.
As far as tech, several safety systems are accounted for in the MB if you are willing to pay for the driver assistance packages. The tech has been grafted onto an old interior space so some of the buttons and controls, say for the parking assist, are seemingly randomly placed in the cabin. The E is two iterations newer than the GLC in terms of the infotainment and maybe tech, but the video game like interior space is not likely to age well IMO.
The 63 motor inspires plenty of stoplight dashes, but whether that motor is in the GLC or the E wagon, you will not be wanting to chase down Corvettes, 911s, or even Macans.
The E wagon could be a great choice for some and I would be happy to see it in my driveway, but having had an AMG, I would be careful to not get drunk on the Kool-Aid.

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
My test drive in an AMG 43 coupe was not impressive at all. The ride was harsh and the transmission shifted so abruptly that the car jerked me around in Sport+ mode. LOL there is simply no comparison to my Macan S.

As for tech, I couldn't care less about all the fancy stuff. One may want to get a Tesla is that's your cup of tea.

Reactions: NETX

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see the regular GLC 300 everyday, multiple times a day. What I have not seen is the GLC 63 AMG. Had a good laugh reading this thread on how someone can think the 63 amg is the direct competitor to a Cayenne.

Here are the suv's I'm shopping.

Macan Turbo
Stelvio Quadrifoglio
GLC 63 AMG

Those are my top 3. X3M competition and F-pace SVR are right behind them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I can agree with tech as Porsche is definitely lacking in this area (i don't give an f though). But saying that AMG E 63s wagon is light years ahead of Porsche in driving is an exaggeration. Porsche's competitor to E63S wagon is this, not a Macan.

View attachment 242497
I never compared this wagon to the Macan so I have no idea where you got that from. There are a few YouTube videos comparing these two. I'm not going to say which one did better but it was the one that cost at least $90K less. The 63 motor is also "hand built" not like the Audi motor in the Porsche.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
2.9 0-60. Show me as that is not real. Record a video for us of you doing this.
I don't have mine yet but I should get it sometime in mid to late June. It was delayed two weeks due to the chip shortage. It's currently at the port waiting for a ship assignment. MBUSA only gets around 100 allocations a year so they are a true unicorn, not like the Macan which has way to many out there for my taste.

Plenty of reviews out there and they all were 2.9 or 3.0 sec 0-60 times and 11.1, 124 mph 1/4 mile times. These things smoke 99 percent of everything on the road (stock) and can hold their own on the track too. Anybody who appreciate cars know these are a true sleeper in sheep's clothing. MB underrates their hp/tq so their real numbers average 684hp/667tq.

Plenty of information about these beasts (wagons) out there for your reading/viewing enjoyment. I challenge you to find one bad review on this wagon! Their nickname...the hammer!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The GLC is an aged platform and its driving dynamics: stopping, steering, chassis controls, transitions are completely different than the Porsche. The 63 is stiffly suspended and it drives like a muscle car--the entire focus is on the engine. The engine is glorious with enormous low end torque. It does not like or need to be red-lined.
As far as tech, several safety systems are accounted for in the MB if you are willing to pay for the driver assistance packages. The tech has been grafted onto an old interior space so some of the buttons and controls, say for the parking assist, are seemingly randomly placed in the cabin. The E is two iterations newer than the GLC in terms of the infotainment and maybe tech, but the video game like interior space is not likely to age well IMO.
The 63 motor inspires plenty of stoplight dashes, but whether that motor is in the GLC or the E wagon, you will not be wanting to chase down Corvettes, 911s, or even Macans.
The E wagon could be a great choice for some and I would be happy to see it in my driveway, but having had an AMG, I would be careful to not get drunk on the Kool-Aid.
I wouldn't take a GLC over my Macan Turbo PP even if it had the 63 motor and overall I believe the Macan is a better vehicle. The E AMG wagon is another story completely and does better than most would expect, both on the track and road courses. I believe time is running out for the V8 since MB will have no more V8s in the C class starting next year. I figured it's a matter of time for the E class too so it was now or never for me to get something I always wanted, the AMG E 63s wagon. However, I will miss my PP for sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I fancy this! I havent been this excited to be in a car and drive it since my m2. Id no doubt enjoy the gts if i had gone that route, but i have 0 regrets. I absolutely love it.
B3DD400F-7DA0-4CA5-A259-5B288B0E94F2.jpeg

101 - 108 of 108 Posts