Porsche Macan Forum banner

781 - 800 of 861 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The specs of the GB25 vs the GB40 are very similar. I was comparing both for midrange duty. I went with the GB25 because it was going to fit more easily, and is designed for either IB or a small enclosure. Seems like the GB40 is better suited for a slightly larger sealed pod. Also, the physics of a smaller diameter speaker means the GB25 won’t beam until higher frequencies. If I recall correctly, I have them bandpassed between 300Hz and 3KHz, with 24dB slopes
Good point. I’ll evaluate this. It does really sounds very good, no perceived distortion and robust deep sound for such small speakers. I’m impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #782
I received the Audiofrog GB25 today. All well until I saw the speaker terminal connectors. I should’ve close the box right then and there and return them, but I decided to try them. I guess I didn’t realize that these speakers have a completely different way of connecting than any other speaker in the world....

View attachment 235454

Well, is pretty darn difficult to insert the wire in the slot, and securing the almost invisible screw. I ended up breaking the head of one of these screws in one of the speakers, and no way to take the remaining piece out.

View attachment 235455

I’m not sure if these are returnable now, I’ll probably have to eat them. But fortunately, this is the exact speaker (in terms of sound) I was looking for. The sound that this little speaker produce is far superior to the Hertz MP70.3 and the Audison AV3.0. Very defined, from 300Hz to 14KHz.

Obviously, I used the other one, but worried about the connection. Is very flimsy.

View attachment 235456

View attachment 235457

View attachment 235458

Other than the connection, this speaker is solid... very heavy for its size. Heavier than the Hertz and Audison. XMax is 4mm, which is double the Hertz and Audison. Very solidly made. I think I’ll keep it, I don’t think I’ll be ordering the JL C7. This one is great.

Just mad as **** that I broke one....:mad:

Although still usable if I solder a wire.

If I end up keeping them, I’ll solder the wires in the one I just installed, just to secure them.
Contact Andy W. at Audio Frog. He may have options for you. I'm sure you are not the first one to do this.

Ge0

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #783
I recently put the GB25 as midranges in mine. I've been happy with the sound, and I rather liked the speaker connections. Easier than soldering on connectors, etc. I didn't break any screws, but I did initially over-torque it, which cut off the speaker wires. I think the lesson is to not over-torque the small screw connectors.
Use wire ferrules to secure the wire. Won't be an issue.

Phroenips, what midranges were you using before? I forgot.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

Ge0
The problem with the ferrules, at least the ones I have, are not long enough. I need to see if there are longer ones.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Ge0
The only ferrules I had were for 8ga and 4ga, and I was too lazy and impatient to order more. I was using OEM Bose midranges before. Needless to say, it sounds slightly better now.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
47 Posts
I agree with you about the sound. Great little speakers. Still not convinced about the terminal connection. Yes, I learned my lesson for the second one.

I tried to control my torque in the first one, but would not secure the wire. Adjusted more, and didn’t secured the wire... Adjusted more, and the screw head was gone...

I wrote to Audiofrog to see if they can repair it, or exchange it.
Haven't used those, but does seem like a design flaw. Hopefully the can send you a replacement screw. With patience you should be able to drill out any remaining parts. I've had to do that kind of surgery a few times. I think solder is a good solution. Solder some leads to connect to your wiring so you can still remove them later and not have to start trimming wire routed through the car.

I love the work you guys are doing, as a former installer who gave it up 20+ years ago I really try to just accept stock sound now, but this thread has me tempted...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Which layout?

Option 1:

Option 2

Option 3:

Option 4:

I ordered a larger crest for that indentation.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The specs of the GB25 vs the GB40 are very similar. I was comparing both for midrange duty. I went with the GB25 because it was going to fit more easily, and is designed for either IB or a small enclosure. Seems like the GB40 is better suited for a slightly larger sealed pod. Also, the physics of a smaller diameter speaker means the GB25 won’t beam until higher frequencies. If I recall correctly, I have them bandpassed between 300Hz and 3KHz, with 24dB slopes
I ordered the GB40.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #792 (Edited)
OK. I have a few more changes to make to my system before the winter freeze. Here is #1.

I absolutely love my Scanspeak D2904/60000 tweeters. But, they are 15 years old. I want to see how a current generation pair of D2004/602000's compare.

For thought and inspiration:

Also installing tweeter protection capacitors. 80uF non-polar audio grade electrolytic:

I was glad to see the tweeters dropped right into the factory spring clip retention system. I was sure I was going to make modifications. As it turns out no :).

The protective grill on the tweeter extends about 10mm above the tweeters dome. There was a 5mm interference fit between the dome and the factory grill. So, pop the tweeter grill off with a set of needle nose pliers. The grills come off with very little force applied. The tweeter only needs 1mm clearance. A 4mm gap still exists.

Note the factory grill was warped due to an interference fit with the old D2904's. I am hoping it will flatten out again now that there is no longer a tweeter grill pressing against it.

Ge0

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The Audiofrog GB25 is an amazing little speaker (with crappy connector terminals), really primed for center channel duty or door midrange duty. It has a surprising deep sound, and a fantastic definition across the range. I have it down to 250Hz and this speaker would not distort, and it performs better than the larger midranges I have tested. The vocals are so clear and pristine, that you may think the singer is right there with you. Several orders better than the AP4, the AV3.0 and the Hertz MP70.3. A few orders better than the JL C5.

Because of this, I bought the Audiofrog GB40 for door midrange, even with the crappy terminals. If it works as good as I’m expecting, I’ll be returning the JL C5’s.

If I don’t like the GB40’s, I will certainly get the GB25 for door midrange and still return the JL C5’s.

More to come on this.

EDIT: I tuned system with REW today with the GB25 in place. Very close to harman curve (+/- 2dB). After REW, finished tuning by ear, which resulted in some minor gain adjustments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
How does it compare to the AP2? I remember you had nice things to say about that as well.
They are different drivers. The AP2 is a full range, and I still like it a lot. The GB25 is a midrange.

As I continued to hear the AP2 and through experience (I now have them in the rear door), I noticed some strange things happening at very high frequencies, barely perceivable, that I was attributing to other speakers. But by muting, I was able to trace back to the AP2.

The AP2 have a capacitor that set HP Filter at 458Hz (6dB/Oct slope) and I initially set the 2-way with a HP Filter. Because of this, started playing with a Band Pass filter which is now set with a LP Filter of 6,500Hz with a 12dB/Oct slope. That is the sweet spot.

I started reading about cone materials of construction and found that aluminum cones, being very rigid, although have high compliance, they produce damped resonances and severe breakup modes in the upper stopband.

Nothing severe, but just enough to notice it, and it went away with the new band pass setting.

I will pick the GB25 over the AP2 every time, for midrange duty. I tested the GB25 down to 250Hz and up to 14KHz, before finally setting in a center channel more appropriate freq range, and sound was crisp, with no distortion or resonance. Very clear and deep, for a speaker of this size.

I have not tested the Audiofrog GS25, which is in the next speaker down the line in quality for Audiofrog and is actually a full range speaker, to compare with the AP2. I may do that in the future.

But the GB series is the “audiophile” series for Audiofrog and this 2.5in speaker demonstrated to me that it actually is (at a relative affordable price, when compared to the Thesis and Dynaudio... etc...).

Listen, I have not tested the Dynaudio that you have, and maybe if I were to listen to those, I would be even more blown away. However, having tested the 70mm and 100mm series of Audison, Hertz and JL (and the Audison AP2), I can say for sure that the Audiofrog GB25 is much superior to any of those. Is in a different category.

I’m receiving the Audiofrog GB40 either today or next week, and I’ll be able to talk with more knowledge and experience. But I have no doubt that this little 2.5in speaker (the GB25) will perform great at the door’s midrange. It is surprisingly better than those 4” speakers.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Which layout?

Option 1:
View attachment 235489

Option 2
View attachment 235490

Option 3:
View attachment 235491

Option 4:
View attachment 235492

I ordered a larger crest for that indentation.
OK... Option 1, that’s the one I liked. I have the option of spreading the PORSCHE letters to 14 inches and that will cover a larger portion of the box (spread like in the back of the Macan). Or ordering a 14” sticker... I’ll see. In the meantime, the larger crest decal arrived... and it fits nicely....

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #798
They are different drivers. The AP2 is a full range, and I still like it a lot. The GB25 is a midrange.

As I continued to hear the AP2 and through experience (I now have them in the rear door), I noticed some strange things happening at very high frequencies, barely perceivable, that I was attributing to other speakers. But by muting, I was able to trace back to the AP2.

The AP2 have a capacitor that set HP Filter at 458Hz (6dB/Oct slope) and I initially set the 2-way with a HP Filter. Because of this, started playing with a Band Pass filter which is now set with a LP Filter of 16KHz with a 12dB/Oct slope. That is the sweet spot.

I started reading about cone materials of construction and found that aluminum cones, being very rigid, although have high compliance, they produce damped resonances and severe breakup modes in the upper stopband.

Nothing severe, but just enough to notice it, and it went away with the new band pass setting.

I will pick the GB25 over the AP2 every time, for midrange duty. I tested the GB25 down to 250Hz and up to 14KHz, before finally setting in a center channel more appropriate freq range, and sound was crisp, with no distortion or resonance. Very clear and deep, for a speaker of this size.

I have not tested the Audiofrog GS25, which is in the next speaker down the line in quality for Audiofrog and is actually a full range speaker, to compare with the AP2. I may do that in the future.

But the GB series is the “audiophile” series for Audiofrog and this 2.5in speaker demonstrated to me that it actually is (at a relative affordable price, when compared to the Thesis and Dynaudio... etc...).

Listen, I have not tested the Dynaudio that you have, and maybe if I were to listen to those, I would be even more blown away. However, having tested the 70mm and 100mm series of Audison, Hertz and JL (and the Audison AP2), I can say for sure that the Audiofrog GB25 is much superior to any of those. Is in a different category.

I’m receiving the Audiofrog GB40 either today or next week, and I’ll be able to talk with more knowledge and experience. But I have no doubt that this little 2.5in speaker (the GB25) will perform great at the door’s midrange. It is surprisingly better than those 4” speakers.

We've created a mad scientist :).

On the other hand, I did something I shouldn't have. But, I got a smoking hot deal on them:

Can't wait until next weekend!!!

Ge0

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #799
OK... Option 1, that’s the one I liked. I have the option of spreading the PORSCHE letters to 14 inches and that will cover a larger portion of the box (spread like in the back of the Macan). Or ordering a 14” sticker... I’ll see. In the meantime, the larger crest decal arrived... and it fits nicely....

View attachment 235534
It's starting to look good. Shouldn't you be painting today?

Ge0

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
We've created a mad scientist :).

On the other hand, I did something I shouldn't have. But, I got a smoking hot deal on them:
View attachment 235535

View attachment 235536

Can't wait until next weekend!!!

Ge0
They look really nice! Looking forward to hear if they sound as good as they look...

As far as painting, that will have to wait. A lot of backlog work that I need to complete around the house... and the wife is keeping count...😃

781 - 800 of 861 Posts