Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you guys order from Madisound (Wisonsin) or Solen (Quebec City)

My freaking package has been 10 minutes away for 3 days. But, post office is closed. I can't just go pick it up. Need to wait for delivery. Ughhh...

Summer is coming. I want to sit in my car in the garage and listen to music dammit. Sad I know. I bought the car in January. Then I had a business trip. Then my father fell mortally ill. Then CV-19 struck. I've only put 1000 miles on the car since I bought the **** thing. Isn't that what Porsche is all about? The DRIVING experience?

I just wash it and tear it apart so see what audio goodies I can cram in there.

Surfer,

You were the nut who tore your D-pillars out correct? Can you give us a blow by blow so we can remove them safely? I intend on using the far back speakers as my read fill. Rear door speakers will not be used unless in Dolby Digital mode.

Ge0
I believe is was Wisconsin. And no I am not the one who tore the D-Pillars out. I don't have Bose so I doubt I even have wiring there for a speaker to replace. This thread pushed me to upgrade the sound system. I keep telling the wife it's the "forums fault" for me spending money. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I believe is was Wisconsin. And no I am not the one who tore the D-Pillars out. I don't have Bose so I doubt I even have wiring there for a speaker to replace. This thread pushed me to upgrade the sound system. I keep telling the wife it's the "forums fault" for me spending money. :)
OK, must have been Santirx.

You know, I wonder if Porsche did run the wires for unused speakers. What does it cost for them to have numerous different wire harnesses part numbers that vary with populated options? Or, is it cheaper to have one wire harness for all variants and just not use some connectors? Hmmm...

Ge0

·
Registered
879 Posts
OK, must have been Santirx.

You know, I wonder if Porsche did run the wires for unused speakers. What does it cost for them to have numerous different wire harnesses part numbers that vary with populated options? Or, is it cheaper to have one wire harness for all variants and just not use some connectors? Hmmm...

Ge0
I attempted to remove the d-pillar but only got to a point where I could have minimum access to the wire. I lost a clip in the process. So, this weekend I’m going to attempt to remove it properly, so that I can rescue the metal clip and reinstall back properly. I have the maintenance manual that shows how to remove it, but I anticipate is not going to be as easy as the manual portrays. I believe the bottom trim from trunk will need to come out first...

I’ll take some photos and will try my best to provide “@Ge0 quality level instructions”.

As far as the wire, when I took out the back door panel, there is a space there for a midrange speaker which isn’t there for Bose. As you can see in the photo, wires are only supplied for the tweeter (see 1 in the photo) and woofer (2 in the photo). There are no other spare wire that would go to that missing midrange speaker... I may be wrong, but seems that they use different wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I attempted to remove the d-pillar but only got to a point where I could have minimum access to the wire. I lost a clip in the process. So, this weekend I’m going to attempt to remove it properly, so that I can rescue the metal clip and reinstall back properly. I have the maintenance manual that shows how to remove it, but I anticipate is not going to be as easy as the manual portrays. I believe the bottom trim from trunk will need to come out first...

I’ll take some photos and will try my best to provide “@Ge0 quality level instructions”.

As far as the wire, when I took out the back door panel, there is a space there for a midrange speaker which isn’t there for Bose. As you can see in the photo, wires are only supplied for the tweeter (see 1 in the photo) and woofer (2 in the photo). There are no other spare wire that would go to that missing midrange speaker... I may be wrong, but seems that they use different wiring.

I see your point. There is a difference between Bose and Burmester populations. But, as few of vehicles that get a Burmester system I can see this. Now I wonder if there is a major difference between Bose and base system harnesses. They are produced at much higher volumes...

BTW, where are the hidden screws on the back door? I might be tackling the rear doors this weekend. I see one on top and one at the bottom. Do you need to remove trim pieces to get to them?

Ge0

·
Registered
879 Posts
I see your point. There is a difference between Bose and Burmester populations. But, as few of vehicles that get a Burmester system I can see this. Now I wonder if there is a major difference between Bose and base system harnesses. They are produced at much higher volumes...

BTW, where are the hidden screws on the back door? I might be tackling the rear doors this weekend. I see one on top and one at the bottom. Do you need to remove trim pieces to get to them?

Ge0
On back door there is the a screw behind the door handle. Is located around the large yellow circle I drew on the photo.

Then there is one at the bottom. You’ll have to remove the light device thing from the door panel to get access to it, much like the front door. These lights are smaller and the screw is a bit more difficult to access, but not impossible. See small yellow circle on the photo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So I finally finish putting in the front door speakers and then the radio starts rebooting. I'm freaking out thinking I broke something. Checking all my connections, making sure everything was done right. Went and factory reset the radio and it seems to be working now. But then I see this thread PCM Reboot PCM reboot 2 What are the odds that I finish the speakers and I get this issue? Think I'm going to buy a lottery ticket.

@Santirx Thanks for the rear door info. Probably do those soon.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I’m not subscribed to Sirius/XM and have not had any of these resetting issues so far.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I have refused to subscribe to Sirius / XM since 2009 when I held a business meeting with their director of research. His goal was to suck as much money from unsuspecting customers as they could for as little as bandwidth of music the general populace can tolerate. In other words, they degrade sound quality to the point nobody (even your parents) would not listen to. Then they kick it up one notch above that to make it barely tolerable to the general public. This satisfies the masses but disappoints us that give a **** about SQ. IMHO you are better off listening to cassette tapes or streaming Bluetooth. Don't give Sirius / XM your money for marginal crap.

Ge0

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have refused to subscribe to Sirius / XM since 2009 when I held a business meeting with their director of research. His goal was to suck as much money from unsuspecting customers as they could for as little as bandwidth of music the general populace can tolerate. In other words, they degrade sound quality to the point nobody (even your parents) would not listen to. Then they kick it up one notch above that to make it barely tolerable to the general public. This satisfies the masses but disappoints us that give a **** about SQ. IMHO you are better off listening to cassette tapes or streaming Bluetooth. Don't give Sirius / XM your money for marginal crap.

Ge0
I agree. If I want to listen to crap, then stream iHeart radio for free... in the times of iHeart Radio, iTunes, Spotify and unlimited data, who cares about Sirius/XM. I used to be subscribed to the music and gps service plans, then discontinued the music plan about 4 years ago, then the Gps Plan about 1 year ago when I upgraded my PCM 3.1 with an aftermarket CarPlay module...

·
Registered
838 Posts

Ge0
I only do it because I now argue them down to (literally) $5 a month per car... that’s a cappuccino at Starbucks. Quality - I’ve absolutely noticed that half the stations are horrid. Maybe a handful of them aren’t too bad.

But yes, I gave up on “quality” of sound a long time ago. That age has come and gone (for the masses). You have to actually CARE, and most kiddos these days do not.

I learned all about “quality” sound from an old neighbor (from England) who showed me what a tube amplifier and magnepan speakers were all about.... Dire Straits Live was the most incredible thing I have ever heard...

·
Registered
102 Posts

Ge0
Preach! I never thought satellite sounded good... I was dumbfounded at how many people were duped and actually convinced themselves that it sounded "great." People are so sheeple'y sometimes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I agree. If I want to listen to crap, then stream iHeart radio for free... in the times of iHeart Radio, iTunes, Spotify and unlimited data, who cares about Sirius/XM. I used to be subscribed to the music and gps service plans, then discontinued the music plan about 4 years ago, then the Gps Plan about 1 year ago when I upgraded my PCM 3.1 with an aftermarket CarPlay module...

To be honest, if XM was maybe $60/yr I might consider subscribing just out of convenience. However, they want to rape you for $150 --> $200 per year instead. That is totally unacceptable. Not to mention their customer service is total crap. I have unlimited global data on my company issued mobile. Why wouldn't I stream Spotify instead for free.

Ge0

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I only do it because I now argue them down to (literally) $5 a month per car... that’s a cappuccino at Starbucks. Quality - I’ve absolutely noticed that half the stations are horrid. Maybe a handful of them aren’t too bad.

But yes, I gave up on “quality” of sound a long time ago. That age has come and gone (for the masses). You have to actually CARE, and most kiddos these days do not.

I learned all about “quality” sound from an old neighbor (from England) who showed me what a tube amplifier and magnepan speakers were all about.... Dire Straits Live was the most incredible thing I have ever heard...

Sure, they will give you temporary discounts. But, you need to keep on this. If you don't they will automatically jack their prices way up. I'd rather not have this hassle.

Ge0

·
Registered
879 Posts
On back door there is the a screw behind the door handle. Is located around the large yellow circle I drew on the photo.

Then there is one at the bottom. You’ll have to remove the light device thing from the door panel to get access to it, much like the front door. These lights are smaller and the screw is a bit more difficult to access, but not impossible. See small yellow circle on the photo.

An edit. After removing the back door panel again, there is no need to remove the top trim. Only two screws. One located behind the handle and one located behind the bottom light. Is easier than front door.

For front door you’ll have to remove the top trim, and there are 3 screws. One behind the trim, one behind the door handle and one behind the bottom light.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sure, they will give you temporary discounts. But, you need to keep on this. If you don't they will automatically jack their prices way up. I'd rather not have this hassle.

Ge0
Yep.

Every. Single. Year.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts