Porsche Macan Forum banner

761 - 780 of 868 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Sub box sanding completed...

Sunny and hot today. Had to open my tent (normally used during Summer softball tournaments...🙂). Good day to paint, but I don’t have the plan completed yet... nor the supplies. Hoping for another weird hot day soon... if not, painting will have to wait until next year...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I couldn’t resist... inlay done! About 4mm deep.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #763

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
So, you had to mill out a section in your sub box even after raising your floor. Hmm. Should have raised it another 1/4". Now your open canvas to paint a Porsche logo on has an obstruction.

Oh crap. Just kidding. Excellent craftsmanship.

Ge0
I’ll lower the floor again to original position.... Hey, I’ll figure it out.... The huge 10in sub is already taking a lot of the canvas... this way I’ll honor my commitment to @phroenips to make it slightly different...

That’s actually a nice space to insert a Porsche crest logo... what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #765
I’ll lower the floor again to original position.... Hey, I’ll figure it out.... The huge 10in sub is already taking a lot of the canvas... this way I’ll honor my commitment to @phroenips to make it slightly different...

That’s actually a nice space to insert a Porsche crest logo... what do you think?

I'm thinking Gold paint with the logo in the recessed pocket 🤔

Ge0

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I think I’ll do Duratex in the bottom and sides (up to layer 8). For Layer 9, the top one, I think I’ll go with rhodium silver with glossy finish. I’ll add a black “Porsche logo decal” and a Porsche crest decal in the inlay indentation.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
@Ge0, even though I had EQ'd my front mid/tweeters with frequencies >5KHz significantly low, I was still noticing loud high frequencies. My wife noticed it too, today. I had a High-Pass filter set at >400Hz. I decided to change the mid/tweeter to a Band-Pass filter with HP set at 400 Hz (24dB/Oct) and the LP set at 20KHz (12dB/Oct). With this, gain started to decrease at around 5KHz to 20KHz (would decrease about 5dB at 20KHz).

I tested with REW, and I did have to adjust equalization a little bit from 5KHz to 20KHz, but it actually worked very well. The annoying high frequencies went away, and now there is just a pleasant sound coming from the mid/tweeter combination. The AV1.1 are loud.

I also adjusted the 400Hz crossover (which was dipping significantly after I change that crossover point). Also, EQ'd the new subwoofer.

This is the latest REW graph. This was a quick 15 minute adjustment with REW. Obviously I need to spend more time, but sound is great so far. Curve is within 3 - 4dB from Harman. Bass is just fantastic!

Now I need to resolve the center channel. Today I moved the Audison AV3.0 to surround duty and moved the Hertz MP70.3 back to Center. However, I bought the Audiofrog GB25 to test at center (will get it this Tuesday). If that doesn't work well, I'll exchange for the JL C7-350. Both have great reviews.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I think you should add a Porsche part number too ....:oops:;)
Yes... and let’s not forget the P/N barcode to make it look more official...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #771
@Ge0, even though I had EQ'd my front mid/tweeters with frequencies >5KHz significantly low, I was still noticing loud high frequencies. My wife noticed it too, today. I had a High-Pass filter set at >400Hz. I decided to change the mid/tweeter to a Band-Pass filter with HP set at 400 Hz (24dB/Oct) and the LP set at 20KHz (12dB/Oct). With this, gain started to decrease at around 5KHz to 20KHz (would decrease about 5dB at 20KHz).

I tested with REW, and I did have to adjust equalization a little bit from 5KHz to 20KHz, but it actually worked very well. The annoying high frequencies went away, and now there is just a pleasant sound coming from the mid/tweeter combination. The AV1.1 are loud.

I also adjusted the 400Hz crossover (which was dipping significantly after I change that crossover point). Also, EQ'd the new subwoofer.

This is the latest REW graph. This was a quick 15 minute adjustment with REW. Obviously I need to spend more time, but sound is great so far. Curve is within 3 - 4dB from Harman. Bass is just fantastic!

View attachment 235322

Now I need to resolve the center channel. Today I moved the Audison AV3.0 to surround duty and moved the Hertz MP70.3 back to Center. However, I bought the Audiofrog GB25 to test at center (will get it this Tuesday). If that doesn't work well, I'll exchange for the JL C7-350. Both have great reviews.
You need to be careful when measuring high frequency response. The wavelengths get very small. Moving your microphone 1" between one measurement to another can produce different results. Obtaining repeatable results gets difficult from session to session unless you do some averaging. I'm sure you've seen the rig I built back on page 35:

I take 5 measurements or more using the moving mic and then average them together. This seems strange but it produces accurate and repeatable results. You can also do something similar by sitting in the back seat while measuring up front and slowly waving the microphone around the headrest location. This helped me tame high frequency response very nicely.

As far as your center channel is concerned. You've been swapping a lot of drivers in and out :). You seem to like the tonality of the JL Audio midranges. If I were you I'd be inclined to try out the C7 3.5 as you suggested. This is strictly personal preference so you're going have to try some options :).

Ge0

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You need to be careful when measuring high frequency response. The wavelengths get very small. Moving your microphone 1" between one measurement to another can produce different results. Obtaining repeatable results gets difficult from session to session unless you do some averaging. I'm sure you've seen the rig I built back on page 35:
View attachment 235355

I take 5 measurements or more using the moving mic and then average them together. This seems strange but it produces accurate and repeatable results. You can also do something similar by sitting in the back seat while measuring up front and slowly waving the microphone around the headrest location. This helped me tame high frequency response very nicely.

As far as your center channel is concerned. You've been swapping a lot of drivers in and out :). You seem to like the tonality of the JL Audio midranges. If I were you I'd be inclined to try out the C7 3.5 as you suggested. This is strictly personal preference so you're going have to try some options :).

Ge0
Yes, I’ll take additional measurements. For now, sound is much better.

As far as the center channel, I was flip flopping between the two...

I had a few gift cards from Crutchfield, which I used to buy the Audiofrog GB25 first. If I like them, I’ll keep them... but if improvement is none or nominal, then I’ll return them and get the JL. The JL seems to be more robust, so, I think I’ll end up getting it anyway.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
About the broken pink lever for the blue connectors in the doors. Purchased a single blue connector housing.

Passenger’s side had the top clip broken, but pink lever was in good condition... replaced the blue housing and removed the good pink lever from the broken housing.

Easy to replace... just cut the tie wrap, lift the securing tab - on the side - and slide the white connector out. Slide the white connector into the new housing until you hear a click and replace the tie-wrap. Less than 2 minutes.

Used the pink lever I removed from passenger’s side above, and replaced the driver’s side, which was broken.

I guess this is the aftermath of having removed these door panels multiple times..

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Also, tidying up some connections. I purchased 5 smaller proper connectors adapters for the front door midranges, center and surround speakers...

Replaced the connectors I took out from the Bose speakers. Welded those connectors back to the Bose speakers...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Love those new 'pinkies', nice work. The 17 on Bose has a larger version of that (rack and pinion style) connector, but its a lot more robust which is a good thing considering the number of times I have had it on and off in recent weeks.

While working solidly in the depths of the spare wheel well doing some wiring for the next phase of upgrade, I was reminded of the inconvenience that big round red lump is lying on the floor well to the back of the space and at full arms stretch. Those with new beaut sub boxes, I hope your giving that curved back edge some good protective cover, because come the day you need that wheel, it's almost certainly going to get dragged across that back edge on the way out or the way back in - my 19" spare wheel weighs 22 kgs.😕

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I received the Audiofrog GB25 today. All well until I saw the speaker terminal connectors. I should’ve close the box right then and there and return them, but I decided to try them. I guess I didn’t realize that these speakers have a completely different way of connecting than any other speaker in the world....

Well, is pretty darn difficult to insert the wire in the slot, and securing the almost invisible screw. I ended up breaking the head of one of these screws in one of the speakers, and no way to take the remaining piece out.

I’m not sure if these are returnable now, I’ll probably have to eat them. But fortunately, this is the exact speaker (in terms of sound) I was looking for. The sound that this little speaker produce is far superior to the Hertz MP70.3 and the Audison AV3.0. Very defined, from 300Hz to 14KHz.

Obviously, I used the other one, but worried about the connection. Is very flimsy.

Other than the connection, this speaker is solid... very heavy for its size. Heavier than the Hertz and Audison. XMax is 4mm, which is double the Hertz and Audison. Very solidly made. I think I’ll keep it, I don’t think I’ll be ordering the JL C7. This one is great.

Just mad as **** that I broke one....:mad:

Although still usable if I solder a wire.

If I end up keeping them, I’ll solder the wires in the one I just installed, just to secure them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I recently put the GB25 as midranges in mine. I've been happy with the sound, and I rather liked the speaker connections. Easier than soldering on connectors, etc. I didn't break any screws, but I did initially over-torque it, which cut off the speaker wires. I think the lesson is to not over-torque the small screw connectors.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I recently put the GB25 as midranges in mine. I've been happy with the sound, and I rather liked the speaker connections. Easier than soldering on connectors, etc. I didn't break any screws, but I did initially over-torque it, which cut off the speaker wires. I think the lesson is to not over-torque the small screw connectors.
I agree with you about the sound. Great little speakers. Still not convinced about the terminal connection. Yes, I learned my lesson for the second one.

I tried to control my torque in the first one, but would not secure the wire. Adjusted more, and didn’t secured the wire... Adjusted more, and the screw head was gone...

I wrote to Audiofrog to see if they can repair it, or exchange it.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The Audiofrog GB25 sound is like in a different level... I wonder if I should return the JL C5’s while still in the return window, and get a pair of Audiofrog GB40 for that midrange, even with the crappy wire terminals.

My worry is that then the mid bass woofer starts to sound like crap when compared to the Audiofrog, and then I’ll need to change those too. This is becoming a money pit...😂

·
Registered
71 Posts
The specs of the GB25 vs the GB40 are very similar. I was comparing both for midrange duty. I went with the GB25 because it was going to fit more easily, and is designed for either IB or a small enclosure. Seems like the GB40 is better suited for a slightly larger sealed pod. Also, the physics of a smaller diameter speaker means the GB25 won’t beam until higher frequencies. If I recall correctly, I have them bandpassed between 300Hz and 3KHz, with 24dB slopes

761 - 780 of 868 Posts