Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 967 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Going to switch gears here for a moment and look at something else. How about midranges?

Here it is

Overall mounting depth including connector protrusion:

Now extract the driver by removing two torx bolts:

The third mounting point may be an isssue:

The driver:

Some important measurements we will need:

More in about 5 minutes. I have to pee...

Geo

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Now let's make a template of the driver so we can fudge something else in when we need to:

Now get out you #2 pencil:

Do our measurements match? Yessum...

Looks like this bad boy will fit here too:

Ge0

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
This post thread is GOLD... Thank you @Ge0. Making it easier for the rest of us.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
What to do on a rainy day. Can't pull the tools out of the garage and start cutting wood. Besides, it's been a while since I used my router. There's some gunk all over it. It needs to be cleaned:

I could watch Hillbilly Hand Fishing:

I was thinking about something when I did this:

I could build Frankensub!!!

Borrrowing the stock Bose amp off the OEM sub enclosure (my Zapco amp is down for repair).

I'll hook it up and take some measurements tomorrow. My plan is to have an equal playing ground when comparing the JL Audio 10TW3 to the Sundown Audio SD4.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
@Ge0, are these 4" (100mm) door midrange speakers 4-ohm or 8-ohm impedance? When I look at the scanspeak speaker you are exploring as an option, it states is an 8-ohm speaker in the specs. Just curious as I explore my next set of upgrades. Thanks.

Now let's make a template of the driver so we can fudge something else in when we need to:

Now get out you #2 pencil:

Do our measurements match? Yessum...

Looks like this bad boy will fit here too:

Ge0

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
@Ge0, are these 4" (100mm) door midrange speakers 4-ohm or 8-ohm impedance? When I look at the scanspeak speaker you are exploring as an option, it states is an 8-ohm speaker in the specs. Just curious as I explore my next set of upgrades. Thanks.
Sorry for the confusion. There are 4 ohm and 8 ohm versions of this driver. I ordered the 4 ohm version. They are a few entries between each other on Madisounds website.

Ge0

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I just realized my mistake. I posted a pic of the 8 ohm driver and you snagged the part number from the photo. My bad, I got lazy grabbing pics. This is available in 4 ohm. See my post before this.

Ge0

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Geo, I am not clear....is that going to be a drop in for the Factory sub/location ?

Also, not sure if you saw Santrix note on the rear passenger door....and the phasing .....I found the same thing........woofer out of phase. Could you possibly check yours to validate ? This is VERY Odd.
thanks man !

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Frankensub will not actually be permanently mounted in my vehicle. I am just using it to evaluate one subwoofer against the other. See which one I like before permanent install.

Don't fuss to much about speaker phasing at this time. Sometimes you need to invert phase on drivers to get the acoustic summation correct for a nice and flat frequency response. If I get a chance I will grab my measurement rig and check today. However, without an external aftermarket amp I have no way of checking individual drivers.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Frankensub will not actually be permanently mounted in my vehicle. I am just using it to evaluate one subwoofer against the other. See which one I like before permanent install.

Don't fuss to much about speaker phasing at this time. Sometimes you need to invert phase on drivers to get the acoustic summation correct for a nice and flat frequency response. If I get a chance I will grab my measurement rig and check today. However, without an external aftermarket amp I have no way of checking individual drivers.

Ge0
I think they may have reverse polarity to get acoustic summation correct using surround option. When I use the surround option, it feels centered and sound coming at me from all angles. When I deactivate surround, the back staging disappears and I mainly hear the front. This is what annoys me from the setup. Deactivating the surround is supposed to be better, but I don’t hear better, I just hear the front. As much as I fade to back, still seems front biased. I hope I’m making sense with this...

In any case, I’m going to experiment with this today or tomorrow, and see if sound in the back improves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Interesting....it seems like it it by design. Look forward to your experiment Santrix.

SS 10m in and playing well. Extended drive tomorrow!

2016 Macan T

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think they may have reverse polarity to get acoustic summation correct using surround option. When I use the surround option, it feels centered and sound coming at me from all angles. When I deactivate surround, the back staging disappears and I mainly hear the front. This is what annoys me from the setup. Deactivating the surround is supposed to be better, but I don’t hear better, I just hear the front. As much as I fade to back, still seems front biased. I hope I’m making sense with this...

In any case, I’m going to experiment with this today or tomorrow, and see if sound in the back improves.

Experiment completed. Reversed polarity of rear left door woofer, tweeter and d-pillar surround speakers. Retested all speakers to be now (+).

Oh yeah baby!!!! Oh yesss!!

That d-pillar trim is a nasty one to remove. I lost a clip in the process that is now somewhere in the lower trunk trim. I’ll fish that one later. For now, I’m a happy camper!!

Now I like to replace the two door midrange and the d-pillar surround.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Interesting....it seems like it it by design. Look forward to your experiment Santrix.

SS 10m in and playing well. Extended drive tomorrow!

2016 Macan T
How in the heck are you guys getting these speakers so quickly? My order is 7 days past due. Unfortunately is USPS has poor tracking. Can't even determine where my package is.

Ge0

·
Registered
81 Posts
How in the heck are you guys getting these speakers so quickly? My order is 7 days past due. Unfortunately is USPS has poor tracking. Can't even determine where my package is.

Ge0
I'm in Florida. Ordered on Tuesday shipped on Thursday, and it was here by Saturday. Weird you haven't got yours yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Did you guys order from Madisound (Wisonsin) or Solen (Quebec City)

My freaking package has been 10 minutes away for 3 days. But, post office is closed. I can't just go pick it up. Need to wait for delivery. Ughhh...

Summer is coming. I want to sit in my car in the garage and listen to music dammit. Sad I know. I bought the car in January. Then I had a business trip. Then my father fell mortally ill. Then CV-19 struck. I've only put 1000 miles on the car since I bought the **** thing. Isn't that what Porsche is all about? The DRIVING experience?

I just wash it and tear it apart so see what audio goodies I can cram in there.

Surfer,

You were the nut who tore your D-pillars out correct? Can you give us a blow by blow so we can remove them safely? I intend on using the far back speakers as my read fill. Rear door speakers will not be used unless in Dolby Digital mode.

Ge0

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Geo,
I am in Toronto...and I had to pay import fees, **** it, ...so they came from the USA. Had I known about Quebec !!!
I would have ordered from there.

Sorry to hear about your dad man, been there.
Hoping your stuff arrives soon so you can camp in the Macan, haha.

On this rear door/pillar phase issue.....I can’t help but think it may sound better “in phase”
If the connector is easily accessible and I can get my pin extractor tool in easily , I will reverse for an experiment.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks for the condolences. What part of Toronto are your from. I love that city. If Trump gets re-elected I plan on moving there:). Seriously, I have car audio buddies all over the area, We used to meet at this Autorama event in Hamilton each year.

Ge0

41 - 60 of 967 Posts