Porsche Macan Forum banner

261 - 264 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #261 (Edited)
I did a few things after work today:

I installed these speaker terminals from Madisound

I got this heat shrink kit from Amazon. I think there was like 1000 pieces in 20 different sizes for like $10. Not the best quality I have ever used but good enough.

Install XT60 connectors from Amazon:

One characteristic of my new Bosch / Dremel soldering iron I do not care for. That little hole in the soldering tip vents out hot air like a blast furnace. It will absolutely scorch your skin or work piece if you don't have it aimed just right:

See the scorch marks on the wire insulators? You should see the one on my thumb... It also wrecked a few XT60 connectors today as I was getting used to using it.

All shrunk up using my Wagner heat pistol.

Install speakers:

To be continued...

Ge0

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #262 (Edited)
Modifying midrange install a bit. I didn't like the tight fit with standard sized socket head cap screws and wanted a better seal against the door trim panel:

Use my new Amazon leather hole punch set ($12) to cut perfect holes in my closed cell foam rings. I had 6 different colors (mostly black) but thought the blue would be fun considering the color of my car:

I love the versatility and robustness of socket head cap screws. However, here they were digging into the plastic of my door trim once the speaker was bolted on. I also needed to add weather stripping. So, changed to low profile head cap screws.

Absolutely perfect fit

Side note: Adding 4" midranges throughout the vehicle where 3" units existed is a little challenging. But, work-arounds are possible and entirely doable...

Ge0

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good work Ge0.
What are your plans as far as the source unit goes?
Are you completely replacing the PCM with an aftermarket unit or running a MOST converter between the PCM and your DSP/amps?

I have a similar quandry I’m currently considering.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Good work Ge0.
What are your plans as far as the source unit goes?
Are you completely replacing the PCM with an aftermarket unit or running a MOST converter between the PCM and your DSP/amps?

I have a similar quandry I’m currently considering.
MOST25 and PCM

Ge0

261 - 264 of 264 Posts