Porsche Macan Forum banner
241 - 260 of 1,249 Posts
Discussion starter · #241 ·
Now secure everything down with silicon adhesive:

I was trying to wrap things up and move onto the next step tonight when I got a desperate call from my son. My 15yo had an accident on a kids Razor scooter across the neighborhood and cut an 8" gash in is leg to his bone. I'm covered in metal shavings and saw dust. My car is ripped to pieces including no door panels. Factory trim sitting in the back seat.

I grabbed a bunch of towels and duct tape I had close at hand for my build and took off. He bled all over my front seat and left hunks of fat tissue on my floor mat. Thank god to rubberized winter floor mats that I never took out. Christ. One road block after another...

Ge0

Discussion starter · #243 ·
93 stitches and 6 hours in the ER. Actually improving his results. Last December his little brother slammed a glass door his face. He stuck his arm out to stop it and it went right through the glass. 120+ stitches in 3 layers in two locations on his wrist. 9 hours in the ER. There was some nerve damage. Tonight he just sliced through skin and fat thank god.

Still, kinda gross picking fatty tissue off his scooter and my car. Brapp!!!

Between my dog barfing in the front seat and my kid bleeding I have not had much luck with this car yet... I should just sell my Posche and buy a fucking cheap Chevy...

Ge0

93 stitches and 6 hours in the ER. Actually improving his results. Last December his little brother slammed a glass door his face. He stuck his arm out to stop it and it went right through the glass. 120+ stitches in 3 layers in two locations on his wrist. 9 hours in the ER. There was some nerve damage. Tonight he just sliced through skin and fat thank god.

Still, kinda gross picking fatty tissue off his scooter and my car. Brapp!!!

Between my dog barfing in the front seat and my kid bleeding I have not had much luck with this car yet... I should just sell my Posche and buy a fucking cheap Chevy...

Ge0
Sell it to a senator from Utah and buy a $60 K Corvette; sell the Chevy for profit and buy a chalk GTS and you are there!

@debbis Look at the following thread, is long, but people had done many things, from disconnecting it and leaving it there, from replacing it with a Burmester speaker (is almost a direct fit, except connection cable... that's what I did - very affordable - I think it is ~$68 @ getporscheparts.com), to installing another aftermarket speaker, like @Ge0 suggest.

I would suggest disconnecting and leave off for a while and see if you like it. If you are willing to spend a bit of money, you can certainly upgrade that speaker and the sub speaker as well. As I said, that will go a long way. If you are feeling more crafty and want to spend a little more, buy four (4) Burmester rear door tweeters (~$62 per tweeter @ getporscheparts.com) and replace all Bose tweeters. You will also find how to do this in this thread and the one in the link provided.

With this, you will have significant audio improvement.

As @Ge0 said, I also like to have that center speaker, but I did spend some time with the Bose center speaker disconnected before I made the upgrade and it was by far much better than having it connected.
So I’m coming from a base system that doesn’t have a center speaker (mid woofer right?) I’m looking at the focal 165 access center speaker they offer. My question is should I add that to my front 3 way component setup? I might need to add a separate amp for the rear subwoofer, but if it’s going to further enhance this system I’d be willing to do it to have a fantastic system

So I’m coming from a base system that doesn’t have a center speaker (mid woofer right?) I’m looking at the focal 165 access center speaker they offer. My question is should I add that to my front 3 way component setup? I might need to add a separate amp for the rear subwoofer, but if it’s going to further enhance this system I’d be willing to do it to have a fantastic system
I originally got the 3-way component 165 for the front doors. The 6.5's are too small. You can put larger speakers in there to give you more depth. Save the 6.5s for the rear doors.

Which system do you have?

CDR-31 doesn’t have a center channel, but the base PCM does.

I think that what @surfer1313 is recommending is that you save your focal 3-way for the rear doors, and if you can, buy an 8” or 10” woofer for the front. Based on your base system, consulting with @surfer1313 is your best bet, as he also have a base system and is far along in his upgrade.

Which system do you have?

CDR-31 doesn’t have a center channel, but the base PCM does.

View attachment 232382

I think that what @surfer1313 is recommending is that you save your focal 3-way for the rear doors, and if you can, buy an 8” or 10” woofer for the front. Based on your base system, consulting with @surfer1313 is your best bet, as he also have a base system and is far along in his upgrade.
Wait a second, I actually have the PCM setup. I didn’t realize there was a lower grade CDR option below the PCM...yikes. Ok I’m going to check the center speaker now just to double check.

Wait a second, I actually have the PCM setup. I didn’t realize there was a lower grade CDR option below the PCM...yikes. Ok I’m going to check the center speaker now just to double check.
If you have the base PCM, that’s easier to upgrade to a very good system. The only difference between that base system and the Bose is that you won’t have wires for surround or subwoofer, but fairly easy to tap into other wires and run additional wires to surround and subwoofer (or upgrade the amp to add more channels and run the wires).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #259 ·
I made a little more build progress over the last few days.

Apply silicon seal / adhesive the subwoofer mounting ring to prevent leaks / vibration:

Of course excess material oozes out everywhere

Scrape it off and clean it up. Not too worried about aesthetics. I just want to make sure flocking material and paint will adhere:

Put everything back together:

Almost ready for carpet and such...

I still need to cut 3/4"x1/4" deep rabbets here:

And 1" x 1/4" rabbets here if I want the baffle to sit flush with the floor with carpet installed:

Ge0

Discussion starter · #260 ·
Now seal up the front door midbass rings. I know silicon will not stick well to HDPE but I am not using it for structural support. Only for a gasket. I have 12 screws holding the ring together tight:

Disassemble the rings and apply goop:

Fortunately the scrape off and wipe down of silicon was easy against a surface that is does not soak into / bond to. Just don't let it harden. Then you have a mess to clean up.

Ge0

241 - 260 of 1,249 Posts