Porsche Macan Forum banner

201 - 220 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well, see, that doesn't apply to me. Because I work in BioPharma, I had been commuting to work 3 to 4 times per week throughout the crisis. No CV-19 lockdown for me. :(

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Yeah. I'm on a reduced work schedule now. People just aren't buying a lot of cars now.

Ge0

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
I spent my day dialing in sub to midbass transition as good as I could given the limitations of my current system. Bose factory amp sending weird boosted signal to my sub amp. Using sub amp gain, phase, and crossover adjust to try to get the best blend possible. I took a few quick measurements of each sub under identical circumstances. Same 1.25cu/ft sealed enclosure and same amp settings. Then I spent hours driving the 5 mile loop around my neighborhood testing the subs so I would not bother one neighbor too much at one time

I think there is some major constructive and destructive interference going on between front midbass and sub playing a similar frequency range. I can get rid of most of this once I install my V Eight. But until then here are my findings:

SD4 Distortion

10TW3 Distortion

The Sundown Audio SD4-D4 is slightly more efficient than the JL Audio 10TW3-D4. Both subs exhibit similar distortion levels within the 10Hz to 80Hz pass band using 12dB/octave crossovers.

My primary music evaluation sources were:

a.) Metallica And Justice For All album tracks
1.) Blackened
2.) ...And Justice For All
6.) Harvester of Sorrow
9.) Dyers Eve

I chose this album for its snappy / articulate kick drum action. Here the drums are mixed a little higher level to accentuate them in the tracks. A great chest thumping balance

b.) DJ Icey
1.) Camino Real
2.) Gutterpump
3.) Blue Chips
4.) A little louder

I chose him for his bass filled funk explosions

c.) Knife Party
1.) Centepide
2.) Sleaze
3.) Power Gloive
4.) EDM Electronic Deth Machine

d.) The entire Crystal Method Vegas Album

e.) The entire Days of the New Yellow album

e.) Various Slipknot tracks

f.) Various tracks from the Joshua Redman Moodswing album

g.) The entire Miles Davis Kind of Blue album

Throughout my testing both subs sounded pretty darn good. It was hard to tell the difference with the Jazz albums. Not a lot of deep bass. But, the stand up bass was replicated great through the limited portion of the subs pass band.

I found the the 10TW3 was ever so slightly more articulate with the metal kick drum tunes. It reacted ever so slightly faster between quick and light passages. However, the SD4 provided a more pronounced whack that caught your attention. It sounded stronger between the two, like in your chest.

The SD4 owned the 10TW3 on bass heavy tunes. The 10TW3 could play them but seemed more forced like it was struggling to replicate but not over-stressed. When playing the same tunes with the SD4 it was immediately apparent that it was perfectly happy being pushed. It just sounded like it belonged there.

I have to be honest. I was surprised by these results. I thought the 10TW3 would be the clear winner. However, the SD4 was not going to take no for an answer. It did everything I need it to and kept asking for more.

Winner winner chicken dinner --> Sundown Audio SD4-D4

Now let's see if Crutchfield will still accept the JL Audio 10TW3-D4 for a refund.

Ge0

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #204 (Edited)
Strangely enough Bose specifies both 4" and 3.5" drivers in the vehicles overall audio architecture. The center channel is easy to get to. So today I chose the 3.5" driver out of convenience. This size is used for center channel and rear fill effect channels. The slightly larger 4" is used for front door midrange only. I intend on cramming 4" midranges in all spots for consistency. So some modification may be required.

I know the ScanSpeak 10F has a 3-1/6" cut out. I start by rough cutting 3" holes in MDF for my templates. I can easily get the 3-16th" needed by adding a mild chamfer.

The problem with routing such small holes with a circle jig is that a majority of your work is hidden. You can't see the cut. You just need to feel it. In this instance with the circle to the left the router cut through the base material and the center plug shifted. This caused me to gouge out an ovular circle pattern before I knew what was going on. I am going to scrap this piece dammit!!!

Luckily enough, the circle to the right cut perfect. I can use it as a pattern to cut a new piece. Just tape them together and cut:

Now that we have holes, what about speakers?

More to come

Ge0

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
Now let's copy a speaker:

Bolt it to the baffle with a 3" cut out

Flush trim it

Copy of the stock speaker shape

Transfer this to scrap plastic

Oh boy. Looks like I need to compensate for the larger driver. It overhangs the stock trim ring.

Ge0

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Now let's enlarge the rings with an oversized flush trim bit bearing to accept a 4" driver:

Start by cutting the holes with a normal flush frim bit.

\

The best oversized bearing size I had was 1-1/8th" I wanted 1" but did not have that. Fortunately aaaaai don't think this will be a problem:

I had to do a little belt sanding here to get this ring to fit at one corner:

But, the target speaker will fit. As soon as my overdue shipment of ResoNix comes in I can finish this job.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hey... nice work on the spacers.... you ended up adding a spacer for center channel.... nice idea after all.

BTW... Happy Father’s Day.

The Toro sub amplifier arrived today, just in time for Father’s Day. Will install next weekend when the rest of the parts (VW connectors, etc...) arrive. I don’t want to tap and break into existing wires.

Also, in anticipation of the rear door 3-way 6.5” and 4” speakers arriving in a week or two... I also prepared the spacers yesterday.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Hey... nice work on the spacers.... you ended up adding a spacer for center channel.... nice idea after all.

BTW... Happy Father’s Day.

The Toro sub amplifier arrived today, just in time for Father’s Day. Will install next weekend when the rest of the parts (VW connectors, etc...) arrive. I don’t want to tap and break into existing wires.

View attachment 232055

Also, in anticipation of the rear door 3-way 6.5” and 4” speakers arriving in a week or two... I also prepared the spacers yesterday.

View attachment 232056
I saw this other dude make a spacer for the center so I figured I would also give it a shot. The plastic on the dash is pretty thin / flimsy. This will stiffen it up a little.

My Toro MR2 arrives on Tuesday. However, I won't install it until I have my DSP amp in place and I have had a chance to tune out the massive hump Bose placed at 40Hz. Then I'll compare the MR2 apples to apples with the big Helix G One.

Your spacers in the back look a lot better than what you did in the front. Looks like your router skills are improving the more you make. You should redo the front doors now. Just kidding of course :).

I'm working on my door spacers now. It's very freaking hot / humid but better than sitting inside watching sports re-runs.

Happy Fathers Day.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well... I finally decided to buy a forstner drill bit set. That helped. And yes, the more you do these things, the easier it becomes. Still messy though.

Your spacers in the back look a lot better than what you did in the front. Looks like your router skills are improving the more you make. You should redo the front doors now. Just kidding of course :).
Ge0

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
More fabrication today for the front door midranges. I'm going to make 2 sets of rings. One is 1/4" HDPE and the other is 1/8" ABS. The HDPE is stronger but the ABS will probably fit better. So, let's fab this Sh!t up and see.

Start by removing the factory speaker to make my master template:

'

Now like before transfer to scrap pieces of plastic:

The stack height here may be an issue:

To be continued...

Ge0

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
I ran out of 1/4" HDPE scraps so decided to sacrifice the 1/4" amp rack I made. As I told you before, I was not 100% satisfied with it anyway. That, and the board was warped as delivered from the supplier.

Did I mention it is Fathers Day? I decided to treat myself since it was so dang hot and humid out.

The ABS is too thin to drive screws into so I used my trusted double sided tape to hold the pieces together:

Can you tell which rings I did on the router vs. what I did with a jig saw late at night with a few beers in me?

To be continued...

Ge0

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Now for the test fit in my door:

The 1/4" HDPE rings almost fit. But, the tab where the ring fits into the lower left hand pocket is too thick.

The ABS rings fit like a glove. But, they feel flimsy.

I think what I am going to do is modify the 1/4" rings to fit. I can shave 1/16" off this corner with a rabbeting bit and be good to go:

If I can finish my fabrication work MAYBE I will actually be able to install the midranges tomorrow...

Ge0

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Speaker mounting ring modified:

Course thread fasteners were too long and left sharp edges poking through the back side of the mounting ring. So, I decided to drill and tap the HDPE. This works just fine as long as I don't need to remove and replace the fasteners often. In this case, I will hopefully only be threading these once.

Ge0

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
It's hard to believe this little sucker will deliver over 320W to a single 2ohm subwoofer.

Here is the amp next to my iPhone 10XR:

And here I am palming it with my sausage fingers

Ge0

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
OK... the mic is here. But I’ll probably play with this over the weekend. Software already downloaded in my Mac.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
OK... the mic is here. But I’ll probably play with this over the weekend. Software already downloaded in my Mac.

View attachment 232139
Just let me know if you have questions. It may be confusing at first but is real easy once you get the hang of it. If need be I could PM you my mobile number or Skype with you.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Just let me know if you have questions. It may be confusing at first but is real easy once you get the hang of it. If need be I could PM you my mobile number or Skype with you.

Ge0
I’ll probably need it. But let me play with it a little bit, get use to it, so that I have intelligent questions to ask. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
I ordered the same Mic. UPS is delivering as we speak. I was using an older solution. However, this is designed to be plug and play with REW and was only $90 shipped. It will make my life easier.

Ge0

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Sometimes it is great when things actually work as planned.

Test fit with oversized 10" midbass speaker successful. Ample clearance with window mechanism inside. Ample clearance with door trim on the other side.

Ge0

201 - 220 of 284 Posts