Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
To MDJAK:

Thanks for your kind words. As the audiophile type, then you know what a bargain 150 bucks is for a decent upgrade in sound. It wasn't one of those back and forth and which one am I on now kinda sort maybe type comparisons, it was obvious immediately to my ears what was going on here.

Again, the phone does work, but not handsfree through the bluetooth, you have to pick up the handset to make or receive a phone call. This unit will go in my Cayman which has no factory PCM or bluetooth to start with. In this case it does create a handsfree functionality for me in that car. I think you will like the Bose as it doesn't sound so Bose like but just more of a general audio upgrade.

To Macanuck:

Finding a good DAC to run an iPhone in a car is hard to find. These are of course better than bluetooth, but if you are listening to 128-256k mp3s, the in line DAC won't be that much better until you get to a 1440k WAV file off of a CD. Something like this should work on the phones and be portable for our cars. Has a Wolfson WM8740 DAC too.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-A200p-Portable-Headphone-Android/dp/B00HWCYOK6[/ame]

The same device is sold by Astell&Kern as an AK 10.

http://www.astellnkern.com

These will hook up to your iPhone or Samsung and give the best possible sound when plugged into the aux line to your car stereo. Eventually I will get a Hifiman or Astell&Kern portable digital player and have SACD quality files to play straight through the aux line. That should sound amazing.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would personally think that the DAC difference wouldn't be too noticeable with MP3's. The best improvement would be to go with ALAC (Apple Lossless) or FLAC files, or WAV. Then you might start to notice some DAC differences. An already compressed file shouldn't sound that much better with a better DAC. If it does then I would surmise the DAC is doing something besides just conversion, which is entirely possible (multiband compression/expansion, etc.).

My whole music library is Apple Lossless, which is data compression but no audio compression. I've done a lot of listening and testing to Apple Lossless versus original 44.1kHz WAV files and it is very hard to notice any difference. And that is within a recording studio environment.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
My whole library is ALAC too. Will have to research lovetoturn's suggestions above. Looks like a sweet solution.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi,

I recently got a "Cowon plenue 1" which is an audio player that supports hi resolution files (24bits) and integrates a high end Burr-Brown DAC as well as a great equalizer ... this thing is just crazy on the Burmester (which already has a pretty good DAC).

I plugged it to a friends Macan with Bose and the difference in sound quality is even more noticeable. Imagine the difference on the basic audio system.

It is not cheap (around 1000 euros) but you really hear the difference. All you do is plug it to the Macan AUX input with an mini jack cable (make sure you get a decent one - should cost around 50 euros).

The DAC is so good it even makes your MP3 sound a whole lot better ... but of course it is really made for 16bit (CD quality) or 24bit (Studio Master quality).

Oh and of course don't forget to use it also as a source to your HI-FI stereo home system...

You'll find other brands FIIO (250€) and Astell&Kerr (+1000€)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
An external digital audio player DAP is the best solution for any car as Tony 92 acknowledges here. Astel & Kern options are $800 and up and of course sound great. Hifiman has these options too, but now has a very affordable Hifiman HM-650 model which is a scaled down version of their more pricey units. It still has the same case format and dual wolfson wm8740 DAC chips for the bargain price of $449. This will make your WAV and lossless files sound better than the Porsche electronics and any hi-def files should sound phenomenal. I plan on getting one of these when I acquire some SACD quality music. Again I have no affiliations with this product.

Head-Direct ProductsHIFIMAN HM-650 +Standard Amplifier Card

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
I have a question.

Since the base CDR+ plays DVD-audio discs (I assume the Bose does too), cannot you just make a DVD-audio disc from all your hifi music files? Zero cost, or am I dreaming?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good idea, but how are you going to get the hidef music onto a DVD Audio disc. I don't think they make recorders, so it would have to be software on your computer I would imagine. How compatible that would all be, I am not sure. Anyone know more about this or have ever done it?

·
Registered
721 Posts
A free upgrade is folding rear seats, turn off stereo, and enjoy the louder engine music. If no passengers, rear seats are now always down. Mmmm

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
I have a question.

Since the base CDR+ plays DVD-audio discs (I assume the Bose does too), cannot you just make a DVD-audio disc from all your hifi music files? Zero cost, or am I dreaming?

@jzwu That depends on what you mean by "hifi"? If you mean MP3 or AAC, then yes you can, up to ~360K (Can't remember for certain, but think it was below 384k.

If you mean ALAC or FLAC, then I believe the answer is no. I don't see anywhere where it says those work. You can do WAV, but the space will go very fast.

Of course, assuming you have a smartphone, then you can load FLAC on Android, and ALAC on iPhone. Not sure about Windows Mobile, or dare I say Blackberry?

Then connect via USB in the console and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
Every road to Rome. There is always a way, I guess.

Great now that I can play my DVD concerts and USB'ing my iPhone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Loveturn,
i read all the discussions about the DAC upgrade with some interest .
What do you think about HRT istreamer with an ipod classic and connect to PCM with the 3,5 mm jack ?
It's an older DAC compare to the Arcam Miniblink ?
Thank you for a reply , best regards from Italy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
isiaider67

Sounds like that would work fine. Most any decent outboard DAC is an upgrade from what is inside the iPod. Just cause it is a little older does not mean it is not good. It will convert the bits to analog one for one coming off of your iPod. The istreamer is designed and licensed to be used with apple products and will make the most of the available sound on your iPod. It also costs about $200, which is even more than the mini blink, so it should be a great product. Plenty of reviews on line. I like the miniblink for its bluetooth so I can hop in with my iPhone and play music easily.

The istreamer is hardwired to the PCM and can play a full resolution CD file (1,411 k) off of the iPod, so theoretically it should sound even better than a bluetooth song from an iPhone (256k). That is 5.5 times more data from a good CD file.

Might have to get me one of these to upgrade the hardwire of my old iPod as well for the permanent mix of music that resides in my car. Those files then of course can be manage by the controls of the PCM which is nice to have those adjustments at your fingertips.

Product

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Lovetoturn,
I have buy and try it , it's a very good upgrade (also interchangeble in another car or at home) . It's not easy to undesrtand immediately the better sound ,but in few minute there is an ear assuefaction to this likely sound more completely and pleasant . Must change the connector with some more little rca and shorter supply cable to put inside all in the little space of the armrest case, but it's not a big trouble .
What do you think about the total audio upgrade that want to do someone with audio processor, amplifier and new speaker in Macan ?
My past experience in the last cars are badly : the D class amplifier (also Alpine top level)have a Dangerous power and a bad quality , also the signal from the car series receiver have a bad equalization . Now it's possible to connect the optical signal of PCM to a external sound processor ? In Italy no one installator knows this option ,also i think it's a crazy option to re-convert the high level signal of the car series amplifier in a sound processor and connect to another amplifier ...
In the early future i would try to change some speaker in my CDR plus audio system: i have many high quality speaker with a better efficiency , must try it . I don't think to change amplifier or other electronic, the only wish would be a sub inside the spare wheel, like i made some year ago with a 15" Cerwin Vega home woofer ,was the better unbelieveble results that many installators don't believe possible , the only problem is the audio signal,but i would find it in the amplifier ...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts