Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
This looks like an interesting mod. Has anyone tried it?

I have looked at this and actually communicated with this outfit to ask them a couple of questions. My concern with this is losing audio quality (the Digital Audio Conversion). It looks good and solid. The fact that you can connect fiber directly is a good sign.

Some email exchange below (read from bottom to top)...

I’m not sure if I’ll pull the trigger on something like this.

——————————————————-
On Jun 5, 2020, at 5:20 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Hi
Yes it does

Sales Team
a: 4X4 Shop Canada | 160 Konrad Cres. Unit #5 | L3R 9T9 Markham Ontario Canada
e: [email protected] | w: www.4x4shop.ca
p: +1 905-604-4294

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2020 7:20 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: 4x4 "Question about Porsche Macan 10.4" MMS"

Thank you. One last question.

I saw in one your videos that you connect the optical fiber directly into the head unit, and that all the inputs are retained, which is fantastic. Does this head unit do any type of audio processing or does it just passthru audio for the Bose to do the audio processing? Does the CarPlay dongle degrades audio quality?

I currently have one of these aftermarket small boxes that integrate CarPlay into my PCM 3.1 and it does some audio processing that significantly degrades the audio and is more or less useless to me as I value sound quality over CarPlay. I want to make sure that this head unit will preserve audio quality from USB input (same as the OEM PCM 3.1) before I buy it.

Thanks,

————————————————————

On Jun 4, 2020, at 8:07 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Hi
Yes the unit is compatible and it comes with all the harnesses that requires to finish the job

Sales Team
a: 4X4 Shop Canada | 160 Konrad Cres. Unit #5 | L3R 9T9 Markham Ontario Canada
e: [email protected] | w: www.4x4shop.ca
p: +1 905-604-4294

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 9:57 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 4x4 "Question about Porsche Macan 10.4" MMS"

Subject: Question about Porsche Macan 10.4" MMS

Message Body:
Does the (2014-2016 10.4" T Style Porsche Macan Android Navigation Multimedia System) works with a Macan with Bose audio system? Any special adapter required to plug into the MOST fiber network? or is it plug & play? Is there audio degradation (is DAC similar to OEM?)

--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on 4x4 (4x4 Shop Canada - Home of Car Infotainment and More)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
——————————————————-
On Jun 5, 2020, at 5:20 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Hi
Yes it does

Sales Team

Does this head unit do any type of audio processing or does it just passthru audio for the Bose to do the audio processing? Does the CarPlay dongle degrades audio quality?
Their answer seems pretty ambiguous... or not completely convincing....

·
Registered
981 Posts
CRAP....ths looks AWESOME.....and they are close by me, LOL
Hey... that’s great @Teddis. Maybe you can do some research in the spirit of informing your fellow Macan forum members of the quality of this product!!

Have them install one on your Macan for free or heavily discounted. Tell them that you have a big follow base of potential customers at the Macan Forum...

·
Registered
981 Posts
Their answer seems pretty ambiguous... or not completely convincing....
Yes. I didn’t really know from their answer what they were saying “YES” to. Not a lot of technical information. It seems they are resellers with not a lot of technical knowledge about the product. I didn’t want to be their “guinea pig” for this, hence why I didn’t pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
This looks AWESOME!!!! My only problem is to get this installed. I am not handy at all and don't know a shop that could do it without screwing up the car.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Santrix...so do we know if it degrades the audio...through conversion ?
I don’t know. That’s is one of my questions, but their answer was not definitive. Assuming it connects directly to the MOST25 fiber network, I have to assume that there is no degradation in audio quality. I think that this head unit, operating on android, have native android “CarPlay-like” support. But to enable Apple CarPlay you need a module. I think that’s where the degradation can occur.

You can still plug an iPhone into the head unit directly without going through a CarPlay module, and I would assume full audio quality would be preserved.

However, I worry about sound pre-processing. When I look at the screens this thing have, they look pretty similar to the CarPlay module I installed in my car. Hence why I’m concerned.

When I connect audio through the AUX port that goes through this module, if I use the fader/balance option in the module and set it to back for example, I can’t hear anything. It needs to be set full to the front to be able to hear audio output. I do know that there is audio degradation going through this module, hence why I chose to go directly through PCM for audio, and only use Wireless CarPlay display.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I am going to try and go by the 4X4 office tomorrow. If you have questions, let me know.
Cool! I’ll assemble my list of questions tonight. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to try and go by the 4X4 office tomorrow. If you have questions, let me know.
Im in the GTA as well. I only have the base radio which I regret so much that’s why I’m looking for an upgrade. In all likelihood i can’t imagine it being much better or worse than the base. I really like the clean look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you go to their website, you can WhatsApp Fred directly and he answers within the hour. . I posed the question of a possible group buy. On sale now for $1485 CDN so like next to nothing for you guys down south :)

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
My main question is “how difficult is it to get installed?” and “do they have any shop in MN that they would recommend to get it installed?”

·
Registered
981 Posts
I See $600.00 on the site.....what gives ?
I don’t see this for $600... where are you seeing that? I see it listed at $1,100.

Are we looking at different things here?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I don’t see this for $600... where are you seeing that? I see it listed at $1,100.

Are we looking at different things here?

View attachment 232225
And imagine people paid way more than that for Porsche’s 2015 Infotainment. I am so happy I didn’t.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My question would be: "what's displayed on the MultiFunction display in map or navigation mode".
I'm 99% sure the answer will be the PCM's classic navigation.

The only place listing it cheaper (476$ to 537$) is AliExpress. There's several versions (Android 6 or 7; 1b ram + 16gb storage / 2gb+32gb / 2gb+64gb). Some models seem to always have the aircon controls displayed at the bottom.

BTW I did something similar on my previous GLC (replace the screen with a larger Android one that. If similar, one's better be committed to only using the Android part. Switching back to the PCM means clicking on the icon to get back to it + changing the audio source. And same when switching back to Android.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts