Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my vehicle registration and property tax bill today.

Although we enjoy relatively low property taxes here in North Carolina, especially in rural areas, Counties, cities and districts asses your vehicles value, not just your real property. Forsyth County assessed my Macan, which I purchased new in November 2018, at $70,650. At our county + city + fire district rate, the cost is $637.33.

I plan on appealing. The rule is that the tax value is based on January 1 for the preceding year for bills due through August, and January 1 of the following year for bills due in September or after. On January 1, 2020 my car will have about 35,000 miles on it at that time.

I just emailed my dealership to see what their estimate is, and to obtain that in writing. Any guesses as to what the amount will be?

2018 Macan Base, Sport Edition, total sticker price including delivery, processing and handling fee of $65,520.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just got my vehicle registration and property tax bill today.

Although we enjoy relatively low property taxes here in North Carolina, especially in rural areas, Counties, cities and districts asses your vehicles value, not just your real property. Forsyth County assessed my Macan, which I purchased new in November 2018, at $70,650. At our county + city + fire district rate, the cost is $637.33.

I plan on appealing. The rule is that the tax value is based on January 1 for the preceding year for bills due through August, and January 1 of the following year for bills due in September or after. On January 1, 2020 my car will have about 35,000 miles on it at that time.

I just emailed my dealership to see what their estimate is, and to obtain that in writing. Any guesses as to what the amount will be?

2018 Macan Base, Sport Edition, total sticker price including delivery, processing and handling fee of $65,520.

I feel your pain but be thankful you do not live in Loudon County VA. When ever the property tax invoice shows up twice a year at the house I always have a stiff drink (or two) before opening it...loooong sigh.

·
Registered
77 Posts
In CT, they stiffed me for almost $600 for a '11 328ix and '15 X4 35i. Just registered the same two cars in MN and the "tabs" cost me $500 and change. All of a sudden, NY sounds like a "bargain" since there is no property tax and registration costs would be nominal. Go figure..

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I'm in Cabarrus County. I don't know why the assessment was above what you actually paid but the tax amount sounds about right.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Pikers.

My real estate taxes for my very small, modest abode are 15K per year. My buddy who lives in a large beautiful home on Long Island, NY pays 50k a year in real estate tax. And as you know, amounts in excess of 10k are no longer deductible.

I’ll swap real estate tax bills with ya and gladly fork over your auto bill.

Government has to get their pound of flesh one way or another.

Last time we were at The Dragon and stayed in lodge at Tellico Plains, our waitress was a recent transplant from Long Island. Her taxes there on a much smaller house were 20k. On her home in TN or NC, $1500. Now that’s what I call a win win.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel your pain but be thankful you do not live in Loudon County VA. When ever the property tax invoice shows up twice a year at the house I always have a stiff drink (or two) before opening it...loooong sigh.
I used to live in New York. My mother-in-law still does and pays $15k/ year for the right to live there.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pikers.

My real estate taxes for my very small, modest abode are 15K per year. My buddy who lives in a large beautiful home on Long Island, NY pays 50k a year in real estate tax. And as you know, amounts in excess of 10k are no longer deductible.

I’ll swap real estate tax bills with ya and gladly fork over your auto bill.

Government has to get their pound of flesh one way or another.

Last time we were at The Dragon and stayed in lodge at Tellico Plains, our waitress was a recent transplant from Long Island. Her taxes there on a much smaller house were 20k. On her home in TN or NC, $1500. Now that’s what I call a win win.
That was my reason for leaving New York. We lived outside of Syracuse and had no public water, sewer, trash pickup or cops, the schools were terrible, and we paid $3200/ year for a 1400 sf ranch. We were at the point in our lives to move up, and I refused to pay the $10k or more that our friends were dealing with. We have saved bigly over the last 23 years. There have been no downsides at all, in fact the government services here have been stellar.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've appealed a few NC tax bills with success. High mileage is the best argument from my experience. Should help in your case.
It's a stupid taxation system. Get a GT4 - mine is assessed at $35K...:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Don't move to California as the use tax is even higher.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've appealed a few NC tax bills with success. High mileage is the best argument from my experience. Should help in your case.
It's a stupid taxation system. Get a GT4 - mine is assessed at $35K...:D:D:D
Even better get a classic car and register it as an antique. By law they can only tax it at a $500 valuation.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Come to Jersey (to replace everyone who is leaving).

Sure, the only annual "fee" on the Macan is $46.50 for registration. But:

Car insurance can easily exceed $2000 per vehicle per year even with a perfect driving record.

In many towns property taxes now exceed 2.5% of the actual market value. Does not sound horrible until you realize in the northern part of the state a $1 million home is nothing extravagant.

The top state income tax bracket is 8.37%.

State sales tax is 6.625%.

And now the Feds are playing with the deductibility of the state and local taxes.

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Minnesota is one of the highest tax states. Huge state income tax, average property tax @ about 1.5% and I pay $800 in annual use/registration tax for my 17 Macan and about $2300 for my 18 Panamera.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good luck with the move to Atherton!

Oh shoot. :( My wife is ready to move to California. Our son lives in Atherton and I'm sure we will be somewhere close. I'm going to have to get cheap cars to survive.
We have lived in CA (near Atherton) and CT, so I am used to high tax states. What surprised me when I returned to CA last year and bought my Macan was that there is still a luxury tax on vehicles over $50K. My Macan, with fees (which they count!) was $10 over the $50,000 limit so it increased my sales tax by $700!!!

Uggh

The only saving grace is that in CT the property taxes are assessed by town and our town has a very low mill rate.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Don't worry about providing 'evidence' from the dealership to support your case. Just go to the county tax office and explain the problem. I have done this at least half a dozen times over the past decade and they always just give in and pretty much ask me what I think is fair.

Also in NC btw.

·
Registered
15 Posts
First year vehicle property tax in CO is 2.1% of 75% of MSRP. It gradually goes down each year, and after year 10 it all but disappears (3$). So on a $82,000 MSRP the tax is $1,295 the first year, then less each year. That’s on top of sales tax which is over 8% in most populated areas. Makes buying a 10 year old car the way to go if you can. My 2004 C4S tax has only been $3 the past 5 years.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tennessee - vehicle sales tax averages about 7 percent. Tags are about $24 per year. No annual assessment of car value.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts