Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's happened to me, which was something of a surprise. At just under 20K the front suspension has lowered, and I have a PASM fault in the dash. Was making some weird noises before hand for about 10 kms and then failed. I was about 300 Kms away from home, actually across the alps so had to drive a mountain pass with the car in this state.

I am surprised the back doesn't lower a bit too so as to make the car more balanced. The lowering button no longer functions so you can't do it manually.

The front emergency springs seem to work fine, obviously not with the same ride quality as before.

Apologies for the bad picture, and I assure you it looks worse in reality than in the picture.

Car goes into the dealer this week. I really hope it is an easy repair, and that I am not blamed or charged for some unknown reason like a punctured air spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
912 Posts
Please post the problem and repair cost (even if its covered by warranty). I'm curious.

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
Bummer; but certainly not the first time we've seen this happen. Hopefully these types of failures will continue to be rare events. Time will tell. Please keep us posted on what component failed. Best of luck getting a quick repair.

Reactions: Goodwood

·
Registered
60 Posts
It could most certainly be that a leveling sensor went bad or the connecting link from the control arm to the sensor got damaged from an object hit on the roadway.

Should not be too difficult to sort out and get fixed.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Sorry to hear, does not seem to be common so far (you have some of the higher KMs I've seen so that may remain to be seen). I'm sure they will be able to correct it for you under warranty.

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
My thinking is that low mileage failures are good, but high mileage failures are bad.

Reactions: notmac1

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
Haha, you are right, of course. But if it's going to fail it better fails early.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
transfer cases, engines, AS, wow, what's next ;) Good thing @Trek got a trusty, reliable Jaguar or he'd commit Seppuku.

I had AS on my 2004 VW Touareg. 180k miles and never a problem.

I'd get it again and again. Nothing is perfect. Nothing. Not a Rolls, not a Bentley, not a Ferrari. When thousands and thousands of components are manufactured, there's bound to be failures.

Multi-Billion Dollar spacecraft have blown up due to component failure. It's a fact of life. Sucks when it happens, for sure, but no big deal in the scheme of things.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
transfer cases, engines, AS, wow, what's next ;) Good thing @Trek got a trusty, reliable Jaguar or he'd commit Seppuku.

I had AS on my 2004 VW Touareg. 180k miles and never a problem.

I'd get it again and again. Nothing is perfect. Nothing. Not a Rolls, not a Bentley, not a Ferrari. When thousands and thousands of components are manufactured, there's bound to be failures.

Multi-Billion Dollar spacecraft have blown up due to component failure. It's a fact of life. Sucks when it happens, for sure, but no big deal in the scheme of things.

U da man !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: BossHoss

·
Registered
968 Posts
...Nothing is perfect. Nothing. Not a Rolls, not a Bentley, not a Ferrari.
No one is suggesting anything is perfect. BUT some things are more prone to problems and failures than others. Air suspension being one of them historically., from many reports I've received over the years from knowledgeable and trustworthy friends.

If you ever owned a Ferrari, you would understand. Those beauties spend more time in service bays then they do on the road. If out of warranty, the pain is ten fold....

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
It is all relativity compared to other car manufacturers. From what I see and my own experience, Macan (and probably Porsche as a whole) is far less reliable than top reliable car brands, mostly from Japan. At least, CR is right on this.

That's a hard fact and it doesn't change no matter how you spin it. I understood and willingly accepted it when I bought the Macan and I am prepared to pay up, either on extended warranty or in cash. So it is not a surprise to me.

Reactions: Arnold_T

·
Registered
314 Posts
It is all relativity compared to other car manufacturers. From what I see and my own experience, Macan (and probably Porsche as a whole) is far less reliable than top reliable car brands, mostly from Japan. At least, CR is right on this.

That's a hard fact and it doesn't change no matter how you spin it. I understood and willingly accepted it when I bought the Macan and I am prepared to pay up, either on extended warranty or in cash. So it is not a surprise to me.
Where are these hard facts? Links? References?

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
CR for one. Perhaps the initial quality ranking too.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts