Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Have any of you had a whirring noise from the front while driving? Two days ago our Macan 2.0 developed a sudden, mid to high pitch whirring sound from under the front left side area. It isn’t grumbly like a wheel bearing though. It’s a constant sound if held at any chosen road speed. Audible within the car, it isn’t engine related , still does it it you coast in neutral, still does it with all AC off, still does it with or without brakes applied, but increases as speed builds up and does it while slowing down. If you hold a constant (any) speed, it happens and stays steady according to different speeds chosen. I looked under the car tonight and everything is clear, clean and not out of place or loose. Thinking it’s wheel bearing (but those normally go gradually) or final drive maybe? Sorry I can’t supply a sound capture for you. Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
How old? How many miles? Seen any salt? High water? Do you off-road. Did you buy new or used?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I see from your previous posts that you have a 2017 base Macan with over 87,000km. So my guess is that it is the wheel bearing. My 2017 Macan had both wheel bearings replaced just under 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas. It was the left front wheel bearing. Ugh, not cheap but had it replaced after diagnosis and road test. Ironically, last weekend, we hit a sunken drain in the left side of a lane, temporarily finished with a sloped concrete border, in the current road widening section on the 401 just west of Toronto Pearson Airport at about 90kmh. Looks like it used to be a shoulder drain!!! No anomalies for week then boom, it went! They can’t be strong bearings if an impact like that destroyed it? A first for me in 36 years of driving and accidentally hitting road hazards. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts