Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
That doesn’t sound too bad. With everything that needs to be done I was thinking it would have been way higher. Heres hoping parts are in stock and they can get her fixed for you.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Got an email copy of the estimate from Progressive & it is ~$1400 less. I just went over the 2 estimates side by side & am not sure what they left out or how they "saved" $1400.

Progressive said they are using all new Porsche parts so I do not think they are trying to sneak in salvage parts.
They do have alignment there, which is a relief.

They will blend the hood paint onto the fenders & doors so I will get new PPF on hood, bumper, fenders & Driver mirror.
My only original PPF will be the passenger mirror & the strip in the rear cargo area.

I will call Tuesday & see what Penske says is the difference in the 2 estimates.

I have Emerald status with Progressive which has small & large accident forgiveness. So, I assume this means they will not raise my premiums due to this claim. I will find out in a few months.

Reactions: Masscan and 95B3.6

·
Registered
101 Posts
The estimate sounds high and or course it always is. When I had my X5, guy hit me from rear at like 5 mph (Then gave me attitude- another story). This jacked up my bumper and sent a part over my car somehow on to the hood and it left a ding.

The BMW bodyshop put a gazzillion parts Down on paper related to replacing the bumper and then I think about $850 to repair and blend paint a 1/2" tiny ding on hood. The hood is aluminum and has the 2nd layer underneath so it could be handled any other way. The blending process started at the crown of hood to dent area. So, half the hood got painted. Looked flawless after.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The estimate sounds high and or course it always is. When I had my X5, guy hit me from rear at like 5 mph (Then gave me attitude- another story). This jacked up my bumper and sent a part over my car somehow on to the hood and it left a ding.

The BMW bodyshop put a gazzillion parts Down on paper related to replacing the bumper and then I think about $850 to repair and blend paint a 1/2" tiny ding on hood. The hood is aluminum and has the 2nd layer underneath so it could be handled any other way. The blending process started at the crown of hood to dent area. So, half the hood got painted. Looked flawless after.
After having worked on collision for many years I can tell you that you won't believe how many small parts can get damaged in a very small collision, the people usually believes that they are just making money out of it but for every part they request, they must show the adjuster why they request that and what happened to the part, that gets documented with pictures in the accident file.
Also slow speed collisions can get the whole rear/front end of the car out of shape, new Porsche vehicles like the 991 accept between 0.0 to 0.1 mm of deviation, if it's more the whole front/rear end must be replaced at a ridicolous expensive cost.

·
Registered
611 Posts
...new Porsche vehicles like the 991 accept between 0.0 to 0.1 mm of deviation, if it's more the whole front/rear end must be replaced at a ridicolous expensive cost.
And of course that ridiculous expensive cost is eventually built into your insurance cost, even if you're accident free.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
After having worked on collision for many years I can tell you that you won't believe how many small parts can get damaged in a very small collision, the people usually believes that they are just making money out of it but for every part they request, they must show the adjuster why they request that and what happened to the part, that gets documented with pictures in the accident file.
Also slow speed collisions can get the whole rear/front end of the car out of shape, new Porsche vehicles like the 991 accept between 0.0 to 0.1 mm of deviation, if it's more the whole front/rear end must be replaced at a ridicolous expensive cost.
I was told >100 photos were sent to Progressive by Penske Collision.
They showed me some ot the plastic parts behind the front bumper that are being replaced & I never knew there were so many. Both intercoolers are being replaced. Driver side headlight is being replaced due to a very small area of damage I did not see that penetrated the PPF. Headlights are $$$$$! ($1,821.11 for one)

Front skid plate was badly scratched & is being replaced. front signal lamp, front Daytime running light & several other small parts that were scratched. The hood itself is $1,669.52.

It is supposed to be done mid September.

My Macan looked great b4 the collision & I expect it will look great again. It is garaged & has full hood PPF & I wash, clay & seal it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Insurance repair costs are almost always subject to "supplemental damage estimates" which is in addition to the initial estimate, and subject to whatever is found once the vehicle is disassembled.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Got my Blue Beast Back finally last week!
5 1/2 weeks @ Penske Collision.
Looks Great! See attached photos.
Final cost after a couple supplemets was $19K+
:0

They use a company called “Magic Bus” to do the PPF. I talked to an installer named Junior who said he does many of the Porsche & other cars for the Penske dealers. He did a superb job! Suntek Ultra. I asked that the hood be wrapped at the windshield side (which was not done in 2015 when Penske did the original Suntek PPF) I asked if he could eliminate the 2 triangles near the mirrors. He did all that. (I think there have been improvements so for anyone now getting Suntek Full hood PPF, will not have those small triangles & just a single sheet.)
So my only original, 5 yr. old PPF is the strip at the rear of the cargo area. Everything else is new; Hood, Bumper, mirror backs, fenders, headlights & fog lights.

When the car went to Porsche to do the alignment & the calibration of the front camera, I had arranged oil change & ALA-2 recall.

Since so many people were inside my car during those weeks, I did a full leather clean & condition when I got it home. It looked clean already but, as I posted in another thread, IDK what sanitizing chemicals were used & how many times.

My new plan for driving in a heavy rain storm, at night, is to follow another car (double or triple the usual distance) & let them run interference for me.
Cannot tell WTF may blow into my lane that is invisible until too late!

Repaired BB 1.jpg Repaired BB 2.jpg Repaired BB 3.jpg Repaired BB 7.jpg

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Over the years, after losing a CF front spoiler on my GT500 ($2,000), I stay well behind drivers in front of me. Too many times, my wife and I have had to dodge debris on the road that the car/truck in front ran over and kicked it up or just a big piece of 'gator' from a blown 18-wheeler's tire. Always have an exit plan for any type of scenario when possible.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I am so glad you finally got your car back. They did a great job, she looks fantastic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
PAS only works with ACC on, if not you just get this warning alert on the dashboard to brake if it senses you will collide with the car in front of you if ACC is not on, My other vehicle AR Stelvio has automatic brake assist, I was not paying attention, all of a sudden warning alarming is going off and the car slammed the brakes for me. I most definitely would have rear ended the car in front of me if it were not for this feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even with ACC on, PAS failed to stop my S before slamming into a car stopped on the road in a multi-vehicle crash. Like so many other Porsche "advanced features," I found the hard way that it is not reliable. I don't know about other manufacturers, but I would not waste money on PAS again. ACC seems to work fine but, again, I will not trust it in the future.

Example: have you tried activating Porsche Connect yet? It's a complete joke. Even my dealer can't make it work, after two lengthy visits to the shop.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Even with ACC on, PAS failed to stop my S before slamming into a car stopped on the road in a multi-vehicle crash. Like so many other Porsche "advanced features," I found the hard way that it is not reliable. I don't know about other manufacturers, but I would not waste money on PAS again. ACC seems to work fine but, again, I will not trust it in the future.
This is why I didn't order ACC on my two Macans. At first I didn't know PAS was part of ACC, and I just didn't like the look of the big round sensor in the middle of the grille, and after a while, I've heard/read that PAS is sub par at emergency braking compared to other vehicle manufacturers (Subaru's EBS is highly rated)....that and I don't use cruise control enough to warrant an upgrade from the stock cruise control.

Example: have you tried activating Porsche Connect yet? It's a complete joke. Even my dealer can't make it work, after two lengthy visits to the shop.
I had difficulty activating the Porsche Car Connect on my new 2020 GTS as well. The original dealership couldn't do it when I picked up my new Macan, and after calls to both Porsche and Vodafone, I was finally able to get the system activated after I was given a new activation/paring code, then getting the system activated at a different dealership closer to me for $100. I later complained to Porsche that I shouldn't have to pay to activate, then they referred me to Vodafone again....and a few weeks later Vodaphone gave me an additional 6 months of free service (on top of the free year Porsche gives you). Turned out that my original dealership got my email wrong (by just one letter) when I first ordered the vehicle.

·
Registered
184 Posts

You're suppose to pay attention to the symbol in the 3rd dashboard cluster, left corner. If there is a car symbol it would indicate the ACC knows a car is in front or at the sides, if it shows two lines, it senses there is no car and open road ahead. I realized this delay very soon into Macan ownership. I have used ACC many times on the highway and also have been cut off many times and ACC has worked flawlessly at emergency braking.

As for Porsche Connect, I don't use it at all. I just plug in my iPhone for Apple Carplay in both vehicles. The infotainment technology in both vehicles are many generations behind BMW and MERC.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts