Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a brother who hit a bear in NW Wisconsin. That bear did not survive, but surprisingly his rental, a Toyota Sienna, did survive and was drive-able for the several miles up to his cabin.
On the other hand another brother of mine, who lived in Alaska at the time, hit a moose on the highway between Anchorage and Fairbanks. He was driving a full sized diesel Dodge Ramcharger which sustained major damage, to the point that it was nearly totaled. Amazingly, the moose survived, getting up after the impact and wandered back into the woods. From that point forward, his RamCharger became known as the "MooseCharger".
Here in Minnesota we have many deer and lots of other critters roaming our forests, so one has to be on constant look out. Fortunately, I've managed to avoid hitting any of them larger than a squirrel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hoods are on ebay for as low as $150 plus shipping so 300is. Oddly enough I was looking at the hood sizes today and thought I might get specs. Good luck

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I have a brother who hit a bear in NW Wisconsin. That bear did not survive, but surprisingly his rental, a Toyota Sienna, did survive and was drive-able for the several miles up to his cabin.
On the other hand another brother of mine, who lived in Alaska at the time, hit a moose on the highway between Anchorage and Fairbanks. He was driving a full sized diesel Dodge Ramcharger which sustained major damage, to the point that it was nearly totaled. Amazingly, the moose survived, getting up after the impact and wandered back into the woods. From that point forward, his RamCharger became known as the "MooseCharger".
Here in Minnesota we have many deer and lots of other critters roaming our forests, so one has to be on constant look out. Fortunately, I've managed to avoid hitting any of them larger than a squirrel.
It is ridiculous the number of deers we have on the roads here in MN. I dodged many of them many times.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hoods are on ebay for as low as $150 plus shipping so 300is. Oddly enough I was looking at the hood sizes today and thought I might get specs. Good luck
Yes, I'm aware buying junk yard (Salvage) parts for any car saves much $$$.

With a very old car that one is fixing as DIY w/o involving insurance company...may be an option.
For my pristine, beautiful Macan...I will fight if they try to save THEIR $$$. My cost = my $500 deductible, whether the repair cost $1,000 or $5,000.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I'm aware buying junk yard (Salvage) parts for any car saves much $$$.

With a very old car that one is fixing as DIY w/o involving insurance company...may be an option.
For my pristine, beautiful Macan...I will fight if they try to save THEIR $$$. My cost = my $500 deductible, whether the repair cost $1,000 or $5,000.
What about diminished value claim. You will have an "accident" on the car history with the claim.

·
Registered
2017 Macan S in Sapphire Blue, 2014 Panamera 4S in Dark Blue Metallic
18 Posts
Please keep us posted... I've always worried about something similar and with an aluminum hood (aluminum, right?) how do the fix it we'll?

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I picked up my 2018 Macan from PEC I asked if PAS and/or ACC would stop the vehicle automatically to prevent an accident. The answer was no. It will provide a warning, but the driver has to brake.

·
Registered
184 Posts
PAS only works with ACC on, if not you just get this warning alert on the dashboard to brake if it senses you will collide with the car in front of you if ACC is not on, My other vehicle AR Stelvio has automatic brake assist, I was not paying attention, all of a sudden warning alarming is going off and the car slammed the brakes for me. I most definitely would have rear ended the car in front of me if it were not for this feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Per My Porsche SA, PAS does not only work when ACC is on.
I received absolutely 0 warning, audible or on screen.

I have tested my ACC, soon after getting the car. ACC will bring the car to a complete stop.

Traffic was slowing for a stop light & the ACC slowed car b4 I did (it is VERY pro-active) I decided (with foot hovering over the brake pedal) to see if it would completely stop the car & it did.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What about diminished value claim. You will have an "accident" on the car history with the claim.
I asked the Porsche Repair shop about DV day 1. I was told DV does not apply bc no at fault driver involved. "You cannot sue yourself."
If I pursue DV, I think I may be able to get some type of cash settlement from my own insurance company but, am not sure. Probably depends on AZ law.

My plan was to keep the Macan "forever" anyway.

Right now I am waiting to see how Progressive claims adjuster handles this. Will they try to force a cheap junk yard hood vs. a new hood? Will they do the same for the damaged grill part? Will they balk at replacing PPF that may be slightly damaged (I could not tell due to dirt from rainstorm except the obvious hood PPF & Driver mirror PPF.) Hood PPF will be replaced anyway. If they do not list it, I can insist on mirror PPF & I doubt they will object since small xtra cost from the PPF installer who is doing entire hood. IDK if bumper or fender PPF damaged or door paint damaged.

I am going there tomorrow (bringing my CTEK MUS 4.3) & will try to get them to let me look at my car. It was pre-washed Thursday. I had been asking for them to put on a battery tender 1-2x/week, maybe overnight, since it will not be driven for weeks or more.
Today I was told I would need to bring them my tender since they do not have any (WTF?!)

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm sorry to read about your misfortune. Re: DV, unfortunately, you will not be able to recover any DV from your insurance company, as there was no at-fault 3rd party. Progressive claims can be difficult to deal with, but I'm sure you will not be getting a junk yard hood, since one in perfect shape is going to be pretty rare. I'd say they are going to have to get you a brand new hood. Anything you want done outside of the estimated damage ( extra PPF, etc ) should be fine and negotiated directly with the repair shop. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Sorry this happened to you, what a ride home. Glad your safe. Hopefully the repair process will go quickly.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|PASM|SC|ACC
100 Posts
Making me wonder about... (Not sure a FLIR would detect a cold, wet, branch though.)

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I asked the Porsche Repair shop about DV day 1. I was told DV does not apply bc no at fault driver involved. "You cannot sue yourself."
If I pursue DV, I think I may be able to get some type of cash settlement from my own insurance company but, am not sure. Probably depends on AZ law.

My plan was to keep the Macan "forever" anyway.

Right now I am waiting to see how Progressive claims adjuster handles this. Will they try to force a cheap junk yard hood vs. a new hood? Will they do the same for the damaged grill part? Will they balk at replacing PPF that may be slightly damaged (I could not tell due to dirt from rainstorm except the obvious hood PPF & Driver mirror PPF.) Hood PPF will be replaced anyway. If they do not list it, I can insist on mirror PPF & I doubt they will object since small xtra cost from the PPF installer who is doing entire hood. IDK if bumper or fender PPF damaged or door paint damaged.

I am going there tomorrow (bringing my CTEK MUS 4.3) & will try to get them to let me look at my car. It was pre-washed Thursday. I had been asking for them to put on a battery tender 1-2x/week, maybe overnight, since it will not be driven for weeks or more.
Today I was told I would need to bring them my tender since they do not have any (WTF?!)
What is the law in AZ? I had to replace my windshield last week and I had a good chat withe the place recommended by my Porsche dealer (actually the installer went to the Porsche dealer and the service was done there). According to them in MN you have the right to take your car to whatever repair shop you select and the insurance company has no say on that. I am not sure about parts but I assume if you take your car to the Porsche dealer they won't be buying parts on a junkyard. I was approved OEM windshield no questions asked.

·
Registered
210 Posts
On a newer car, I don't know what year your Macan is but I doubt that they want to go with a used part, on the bright side, as far as I know there's not many aftermarket parts available and for sure the hood does not exist in aftermarket version.
Always wait for the adjuster to call you and then see what they offer, and of course fight back to get your car done right.
If you go to an authorized Porsche body shop progressive will suck it up and pay for every single part brand new from the dealer, even if your wheels are scratched Porsche does not allow wheel refinish so the wheels must be replaced.
Keep us posted, I've worked a lot on collision and I know how bad the adjusters are but choosing the right shop makes a **** of a difference.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I am using the Authorized Porsche shop. That is where the Porsche dealer told me to take it. I was there again today to drop off my CTEK so they will (hopefully) charge the battery a couple times/week. It has been 1 week since I drove it there.
My car was in the Porsche technician bay & my adjuster & the Porsche tech were in the midst of examining it when I arrived.

The Adjuster showed me what they were putting in the report… so far:
New hood, New underbelly panel, 2 new other under belly panels further towards rear that I did not even know I had. (cracks from tree passing underneath.) Driver side headlight has small damage spot that went through the PPF. Bumper is off & some small nicks that they say can be repaired so, I will get new bumper paint & PPF. Many plastic parts that I do not remember but, under or behind bumper. That plastic part with lights that you can see damaged in photo will be replaced. My louvers do operate so appears undamaged. Radiators seem OK & will have debris/leaves blown out. Some one time use rubber black cushioning that they removed from center underside of hood. They had not inspected the fenders & doors yet.
They will be requesting to blend the new hood paint into the fenders so, I should get all new (Suntek) PPF on the front end. Driver mirror PPF (IDK if the scratches penetrated the PPF & the mirror needs paint.)

That is all I can recall. I am very impressed with how thorough they are being checking everything. I am guessing Thousands for the estimate.

They saw no oil leak. I saw my oil pan & filter & looked very clean. (Maybe they cleaned it off?) Would a 5 year old Macan, 30K miles, have a shiny, clean oil pan?

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you took it to an authorized Porsche shop the insurance knows that they have to pay to fix it right, they know that there's no room for negotiation as the shop must follow Porsche procedures or they risk their franchise (which is not easy to get)
They will probably blend on the front doors as well as there's a significant amount of overlap between the hood and the doors.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Got a copy of the initial estimate, which was sent to Progressive this AM.

$13,715.89

o_O

21 - 40 of 57 Posts