Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday Night it rained fairly hard with some high winds.

As I drove home, visibility was poor.

A fallen tree suddenly ‘appeared’ in my lane! It was as high as my hood.
I hit it.

Some tree branches went under the car & some knocked to the side. Maybe some flew over the roof. I pulled into a gas station when it was safe to check the damage. I was sure I scratched the paint & PPF.

The damage was much worse than I had thought. I did not see any damage to wheels or tires & drove ~ 10 miles home fairly slowly.
5 minutes later, I almost hit another, much larger tree that had fallen in the lane next to mine! I swerved some to avoid some part that encroached into my lane. Again it was virtually invisible to me until I was almost on it.

Sigh.

Next day (Friday) took car to Porsche’s body shop.

Awaiting estimate.

The guy said will need a new hood.

Hopefully Insurance (Progressive) will not try to insist on aftermarket parts. I already let them & body shop know I only want Genuine Porsche OEM parts. Even though It does not seem out of alignment, I want the alignment checked & IDK if Insurance will balk at that.

Hopefully, the louvers are not damaged. I was due for oil change next week & was down ~ ¾ qt & immediately after accident, got yellow MFD alert saying OK to drive, add 1 qt. I added ½ qt when I got home. Now I wonder if this accident somehow caused an oil leak.
Hood damage.jpg

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Oh man! I’m sorry this happened to you @iconoclast. What a story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
831 Posts
At least you are safe but very sorry about the car. The next generation better have the night radar option !

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
That sucks !! I have seen it many times .Storms and trees are like South Florida autocross. The worst I had was a flying metal debris that hit my 09 911 when I had it post number 9 has the pics I got nailed by flying debris - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

. This type of thing is so sudden and off the wall that you almost have to pinch yourself afterwards . If it makes you feel better it can get fixed . It just overall sucks.

·
Registered
2016 Macan S
7 Posts
I’m in Phoenix as well. Spring of 2019 we hit a bad sandstorm east of Barstow that did MAJOR damage to our 2016 S. Progressive authorized all OEM parts. Their adjuster was a former manager at German Auto on 7th St. You shouldn’t have any problems.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Holy smokes! I am so sorry! As I was reading I was hoping it would have been a better outcome for you, not the other way around with problem added upon problem.

Fingers crossed that your insurance company plays ball and does the right thing with getting her fixed and fixed fast.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
@iconoclast that sucks. That storm did some tree damage on the west side as well. Sorry to see you had a run in and could not avoid hitting the debris. Good luck hope all works out well. Let me know if your using Chandler or Scottsdale Porsche I would be interested in their work quality in case it is needed in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ouch! If you felt a bump of a branch hit the wheel or undercarriage be sure to let the adjuster know. If they assume the branch hit the front and didn’t go under the car they have no justification for an alignment.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Curious to know what the body shop estimate will be!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...The next generation better have the night radar option !
I would pay for the night view!
I plan to use ACC in future if raining at night or dust storm since it can bring the car to a stop if I do not brake
... Let me know if your using Chandler or Scottsdale Porsche I would be interested in their work quality in case it is needed in the future.
Scottsdale Porsche directed me to Penske Collision on Hayden.
Ouch! If you felt a bump of a branch hit the wheel or undercarriage be sure to let the adjuster know. If they assume the branch hit the front and didn’t go under the car they have no justification for an alignment.
I did notify both Insurance & repair adjuster.

I also said car is dirty from rainstorm so I cannot tell how much scratch damage to PPF & paint. Hood PPF will be replaced since Hood will be replaced. My driver side mirror was moved by collision with tree to folded position but I was able to manually pull it back out & I do see marks on the mirror PPF. On the drive to drop off the car I noted that the blind spot warning still works on that mirror. Told both insurance claims adjuster & Repair adjuster to check undercarriage & belly pan damage & may be oil leak caused by this (since I suddenly got add 1 qt. Yellow warning when I had been only ¾ qt low earlier that day) I said check headlight function & alignment & washer (Driver side washer black cover is marred/scratched.) Headlight PPF is scratched & maybe headlights. I said front camera needs to be checked. I was told by "Collision Repair Consultant" that they calibrate the camera anytime front bumper is removed. I talked about wanting alignment to be checked as well as any hidden tire damage & damage in wheel well.

I explained that I measure my tread depth every Q & so far wearing evenly so I did not have alignment issues b4 the accident. I said some of the tree went under & I drove over it & some bounced off front. I told them both I now get MFD Hood Warning. I think computer 'thinks' hood not fully latched. I asked for radiator & AC condenser to be checked for damage. I pulled many small branches out when I stopped to check, just after collision. I still see leaves & debris in there. I cannot tell if front grill & louvers are damaged & if they will close since dirt & debris. I even asked to check for hail damage bc I heard sounds of hail, I think, b4 collision. If there was hail it was small & lasted only a minute or so.

Reactions: notmac1

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
So sorry about your Macan. We also had a bad storm here last week. Lots of wind and ha. All my neighbors already have roof companies signs in their front yard so I am sure mine will need to be replaced. I visited a friend that has a lake house in one of the suburbs here and his neighbor had his boat lift taken from the bottom of the lake and it is now floating around. Another had his brand new Malibu boat thrown into land and it wad totaled. I am glad meteorologists are usually able to alert us in advance so we can minimize damage and have family safe.

Reactions: notmac1

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I plan to use ACC in future if raining at night or dust storm since it can bring the car to a stop if I do not brake
ACC is different than PAS (which I recently learned comes with ACC), and PAS is on all the time, but unfortunately in your case, it seems PAS did not stop your vehicle in time. Maybe because of the heavy rain?

Makes me wonder how good PAS really is, especially in bad weather....or if the system was improved upon on later models.

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Wow! I'm so glad that you're okay. Car parts can be replaced, so that's no big deal. Hope the repair process goes smoothly & you're good to go soon.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PAS
I thought this only works if you turn on ACC.
But no mention of only works with ACC here:

Porsche Active Safe | Porsche Irvine

Maybe you do not get PAS unless you pay for ACC, at least 5 years ago.
My spec sheet has PAS listed as an option (That I selected) along with ACC.
8T3
Adaptive Cruise Control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS) $1,440

AFAIK, PAS is NOT working unless you turn on ACC.

It sure would have been awesome if it had saved me from the D***! tree!

·
Registered
525 Posts
@iconoclast glad to hear you are ok. It sounds like your Macan needs some repair, but from your description it could have been worse. I hope it works out ok in the end.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I asked my Porsche Service Advisor about PAS & here's the reply:

"...cruise control does not have to be on for the active safe to work. It only monitors the traffic /cars infront of you . It does not monitor road debris, stationary objects , etc ."

Since the fallen tree laying across the lane was at least as high as my hood it now makes me wonder if PAS would alert me to a deer or a bear that runs across the road at night?

I actually DID hit a bear, in daylight, in Colorado, in 2002. It ran across the road & it was LARGE.
That was an adrenaline rush! Very little traffic in the park. I stopped & had my hand on the door handle to get out & check the damage to see if I could drive on & realized that there is a huge bear laying on its side 30 feet behind my car.
I did not know if it was dead but, if not, it probably was not too happy with me. Tried to call the ranger several times to report it. Just got voice mail (Holiday summer weekend)

After 10-15 minutes, the bear got up & walked off back into the woods.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts