Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I will be traveling to Europe and Dubai this summer for 2 months I will be storing the car in a friend's garage(since I live in a high-rise building where the parking has no power outlets to use the battery tender), but I have never done this before so tips will be useful. Thanks!!!:nerd::D:D

·
Super Moderator
10,468 Posts
Just follow the Porsche directions here

Storing your vehicle

Big things are the mice and pests can get into any opening and it does happen. I would not take out the battery, just hook up a ctek.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Maybe it's old school but, when I go on extended trips; my wife always turns the ignition on every two weeks for a few minutes .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
In the summer, I am not sure you need to worry about battery in Macan. I went on vacation during winter for a month with colder temperatures, Macan started and never skipped a beat when I got back without any issues... YMMV

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Summer vs Winter ? Duh ! You're right it should be ok . My wife just lost her start the car job :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hook the battery tender direct, the 12v outlets power off.

If it were me, I would just throw a cover on it (cheap one from Amazon) lock it and leave it, 2 months will be fine.

Enjoy your trip!

Magnet

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Like others have mentioned, lock, cover and enjoy your time away.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hook the battery tender direct, the 12v outlets power off.
Magnet
Macan models can't be charged at the 12 volt plugs inside the car. To bypass this, visit your local Porsche dealer and they can code your Macan to accept a battery maintainer.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Battery tender can be connected to charging posts under the hood, driver's side, firewall. There's a plastic cover that pops off. Takes about 15 seconds to connect/disconnect.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I personally won't worry about 2 months in the summer.

If you are still worried, I would air up the tires, fill up and put fuel stabilizer, maybe battery tender. Oil change would be overkill IMO for 2 months of sitting.

Fwiw, I just plug my 991 in for the winter (non heated garage ). Didn't even bother with fuel stabilizers or airing up the tires. However, I sneak it out every month or so if possible. The winter before last was terrible and it sat for more than 2 months like that. Guess what? It drives fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
car storage

If you do store your car, you will add years to its life- that is, if you store it properly. Just take care of these 5 simple things;
Don’t Drain the Tank, Just Add Stabilizer
Figure Out How to Handle Your Battery
Choose Climate-Controlled Storage
Throw in Some Silica Gel
Use Jack Stands, Not Blocks

I always store my car and bike on Migson Public Storage when I move out. These tips are advised by the professionals there.

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
Will you have it in a garage? Battery Tender for sure. What type of rodents are you concerned about? Today, there was a photo on the Internet news where a car smelled 'smoky' and when the hood was lifted the entire engine compartment was jammed full of walnuts from a nearby tree.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Battery tender.... moth balls around the car/garage for rodents.. not inside the car

Mine is left for months at a time... in a garage

Tire cradles if you want... I don't use them any more...
the flat spots smooth out when the tires heat up driving

Gas stabilizer if you want... full tank of gas to minimize condensation

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Ethanol-free gas, too. I fill up with that for the last few tankfuls, with added stabilizer, when storing motorcycles over the winter. And like @Willie Web, full tank and smart charger; there are some threads here, regarding different ways of hooking up smart chargers.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Maybe it's old school but, when I go on extended trips; my wife always turns the ignition on every two weeks for a few minutes .

‘That’s not really a good practice IMO as your not getting the engine oil up to temperature so the condensation doesn’t burn off that can accumulate in the engine oil.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Most opinions say -

store it - as above and NEVER touch it

If you do - it needs almost an hour of running to avoid excess engine condensation

·
Registered
306 Posts
I’ve stored my 2016 Cayman in an unheated garage with no power outlets for a battery tender for the past 3 winters in northern NJ with zero issues.

I change the oil and do any other required services And fill up with quality gas. I clean the car inside and out thoroughly as possible. Over inflated the tires to prevent flat spotting. Spread mothballs around the garage to deter rodents and throw some dryer sheets in the frunk, interior and trunk ( supposedly this deters rodents as well ).

I haven’t had a single issue.

·
Registered
306 Posts
car storage

If you do store your car, you will add years to its life- that is, if you store it properly. Just take care of these 5 simple things;
Don’t Drain the Tank, Just Add Stabilizer
Figure Out How to Handle Your Battery
Choose Climate-Controlled Storage
Throw in Some Silica Gel
Use Jack Stands, Not Blocks

I always store my car and bike on Migson Public Storage when I move out. These tips are advised by the professionals there.
I agree with all of your comments except putting the car on jack stands. My understanding is that leaving parts of the suspension “ hanging “ can lead to the exposed parts getting corroded. They specifically say in my Cayman manual to not store the on jack stands for this reason.
I don’t have the Macan manual infront of me but I’d assume its a similar situation - if I’m wrong I’m sure someone will correct me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts