Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the highest mountain passes in Europe has been ranked among the best driving roads in the world

I’d much prefer to drive it (in my 911) then to bike it!

and
Transfăgărășan

Reactions: PuraVida

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
One of the highest mountain passes in Europe has been ranked among the best driving roads in the world

I’d much prefer to drive it (in my 911) then to bike it!

and
Transfăgărășan
Here is a picture of my S.O. , Ursula, behind the wurst stand at the top of Stelvio Pass. We have been up and down there at least six times on the Ducati. These guys make the best stuff you have ever tasted.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I've been over Stelvio three times on a BMW motorcycle. It is one of my favorite places in all the world to ride. I would love to drive it in a Cayman GTS.
If anyone is in quarantine or something, has run out of shows to binge on Netflix, and so has an overwhelming need to waste half an hour, here's the video I shot a year and a half ago, going down the "back" side of Stelvio Pass, i.e., from Italy to Switzerland.

(The more famous "front" side, the one with the tighter hairpins and all those stone walls -- the one partially pictured in post 4 -- had rain, more traffic, and some stops, when I was riding up ... so the video for that part sort of sucks.)

If this embed doesn't work, paste in vimeo.com/354662404

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
All motorcycle rides. I don't see any cars.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
All motorcycle rides. I don't see any cars.
Well, based on that trip (Aug. 2019) and my other riding experience (1998) there, it looks as if the order of precedence in Alpine pass areas was motorcycles, bicycles, cars, and then trucks and vans.

But, you have to keep in mind that this was a peak (get it?) two-wheel riding time, in that it was the middle of summer, and also that it was mid-week. I suspect that the percentage of cars goes up on both weekends and also during the cooler spring and fall months (as long as the passes are still open, as many of them get snowed in for quite some time each year).

Perhaps our Swiss, e.g., @ABusLux, and other members who live in or otherwise frequent the region can add more enlightened comments regarding cars. We did see a number of them, and of those the percentage of Porsches and suchlike was greater than in the general low-land traffic, certainly.

·
Registered
2015 Macan S
282 Posts
That was part of my itinerary on our way to Schiranna in 2019 but we got stuck in Rimini after the San Marino race so we couldn't make it as my friend HAD to do the Ferrari museum in Modena. It's on the list for my next Italy trip for sure.

And although not as sinuous, it reminds me of the roads about 20 kms out from city limits of Rio, coming back from Sao Paulo during my winter weekend trips. Serra das Araras. Hitting those blind apexes in my E36 M3 almost made me forget I'd be home soon. I'd often turn around and do it again.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would take a 6 ½ hr. drive to drive S.P. in my 911. A bit farther from AZ ;)

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
If anyone is in quarantine or something, has run out of shows to binge on Netflix, and so has an overwhelming need to waste half an hour, here's the video I shot a year and a half ago, going down the "back" side of Stelvio Pass, i.e., from Italy to Switzerland.
A bunch of us were riding down the back side of Stelvio when we were passed by guys on BICYCLES, We would catch the bicycles in the straights and they would pass us in the curves. When we got to the bottom there was a restaurant where everyone stopped for a wurst. The guys on bicycles stopped there so we decided to walk over and talk to them. We wanted to commend them for their riding skills. But the bicyclists thought we were pissed and started to back away. It took a few seconds to tell them that we thought they were great riders.

On another trip I was going up Grossglockner pass at the same time that a Porsche motor club was going up. They left gaps for us about every four or five cars so that we could pass. Lots of fun. When we got to the top a 917 was parked in the parking lot!

On another trip we were going up the Furka Pass. A cop on a bike was coming down. We didn't pay any attention to him because we thought he couldn't turn around quick enough to come after us. He did.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
@gfspencer:

I too was passed by a number of bicycles that week, including once on level ground. Those folks are in shape.

I was also passed going up one pass by a guy on what I think was a 50 or maybe 100cc scooter. Short wheelbase, experienced rider, and he wasn't stopping to smell the roses or enjoy the scenery. To each his own, right? There were only a few times on that trip that I attempted to air things out for a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.