Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasional groan from steering wheel column

Ok I don't know what to call it. Is it a low whine or groan...

My S has about 1000mi and I'm noticing an occasional... uh... noise from the steering column during hard steering at low speeds, like pulling out of a parking space.

This is almost always when the car is still relatively cold.

Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone know what it might be?

Reactions: Gitana

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ummm....mine actually make this faint clicking noise when the steering is slowly turned either way; no droning noises (yet).

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
You guys have incredible hearing. You must have driven very, very quite cars in the past. My former MB's were rattle boxes on wheels compared to my Macan. Maybe I just got lucky or my hearing got bad :)

Whua? I couldn't hear ....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
Based on what you have described, it is probably normal and the result of the Akermann steering effect. It is most commonly felt on all-wheel drive cars at low speed with the steering at full lock, cold tires, and a road surface that is wet or dirty . It can be more noticeable when the tires are wide. At full lock, the front two tires are pointed at slightly different angles, which can cause the tires to shuffle sideways during low speed parking maneuvers. It can be heard as a growl, a skip, a judder, or a clunk. About the only time I notice it is when the pavement is damp.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok I don't know what to call it. Is it a low whine or groan...

My S has about 1000mi and I'm noticing an occasional... uh... noise from the steering column during hard steering at low speeds, like pulling out of a parking space.

This is almost always when the car is still relatively cold.

Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone know what it might be?
I may be experiencing something similar though I usually hear it towards the end of my drive when I'm parking and the car is already warmed up. If I recall correctly the few times I've heard it was rather warmer temperature out as well, and it sounded like a whirring noise?

My car is equipped with power steering plus, so my initial guess was that it might have something to do with that since that is only engaged at low speeds. Do you have power steering plus?

It's hard to figure out because I've only heard it a max of maybe four times and I'd imagine it would be hard for the dealer to replicate, though when its there I definitely hear it and it's a bit irritating.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a similar issue as you described. did you have your steering wheel position move all the way up. I realize mine was all the way up and the sound appear, when I move the steering wheel a bit lower, the sound went away

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Based on what you have described, it is probably normal and the result of the Akermann steering effect. It is most commonly felt on all-wheel drive cars at low speed with the steering at full lock, cold tires, and a road surface that is wet or dirty . It can be more noticeable when the tires are wide. At full lock, the front two tires are pointed at slightly different angles, which can cause the tires to shuffle sideways during low speed parking maneuvers. It can be heard as a growl, a skip, a judder, or a clunk. About the only time I notice it is when the pavement is damp.
@SoCalS5, yet again I'm impressed by your insight and the depth of your knowledge. Two thumbs up!

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
I had a similar issue as you described..........when I move the steering wheel a bit lower, the sound went away
Good point. Sometimes the cardan steering shaft (universal joint shaft) will make noise. Usually when at extreme angles, or when it is worn out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll check the angle but I suspect it's in the middle.

I should point out this happens while turning the steering wheel and the sound comes from the steering column inside the cabin, not when it's at the far end left or right and not from the wheels of the axle.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Video of the sound

Ok guys: here's a video of the sound. Clearly coming directly from the steering wheel.

https://youtu.be/SewN6zmIrKU

Sidebar... not sure how to embed a youtube video :|

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ok guys: here's a video of the sound. Clearly coming directly from the steering wheel.

https://youtu.be/SewN6zmIrKU

Sidebar... not sure how to embed a youtube video :|
If this were an older car, I'd think it was one of the steering column bushings, a tight universal, or a rub in the steering wheel(?). Not sure what the innards of the Macan steering column looks like though.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Ummm....mine actually make this faint clicking noise when the steering is slowly turned either way; no droning noises (yet).
I may be experiencing something similar though I usually hear it towards the end of my drive when I'm parking and the car is already warmed up. If I recall correctly the few times I've heard it was rather warmer temperature out as well, and it sounded like a whirring noise?

My car is equipped with power steering plus, so my initial guess was that it might have something to do with that since that is only engaged at low speeds. Do you have power steering plus?

It's hard to figure out because I've only heard it a max of maybe four times and I'd imagine it would be hard for the dealer to replicate, though when its there I definitely hear it and it's a bit irritating.
I had this ratcheting noise on my '15 and yes it was after the car was warmed up and worse in the heat. Never made noise on first start up or for the first 15 miles or so. It got very loud and I had a bunch of videos on it. One dealer told me it was a known issue with no fix at the time. They tried like 5 different times to fix it without much success. They finally quieted the ratcheting and it just made a rubbing noise but also the weather was colder so I couldn't be sure if it was fixed. I ended up trading the car for this issue among others. The Panny I have now is fine and I'd never heard anything like that on another car. Hopefully there is a better fix for it now.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Reactions: jzwu

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
....I'd think it was one of the steering column bushings, a tight universal, or a rub in the steering wheel(?).....
Agree. That video sounds like a bushing, or shroud, or connection inside the steering column is rubbing and making the noise.

@lights , the dealership should be able to take care of it easy enough under warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same whining noise
Porsche determined that it was some seal that was rubbing on the steering.
The car is in service now and they are replacing the steering column
Mine only made noise at parking lot speeds but drove me crazy

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. I'm going to bring it in this week. Hopefully it can be fixed quickly. I'll have the sport plus module I bought installed at the same time.

I was hoping for a PCM update to fix the CarPlay issues at the same time but it's not ready yet.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I had the same whining noise
Porsche determined that it was some seal that was rubbing on the steering.
The car is in service now and they are replacing the steering column
Mine only made noise at parking lot speeds but drove me crazy
Thanks. I'm going to bring it in this week. Hopefully it can be fixed quickly. I'll have the sport plus module I bought installed at the same time.

I was hoping for a PCM update to fix the CarPlay issues at the same time but it's not ready yet.
Please post your service record when done.

My wife was complaining about the exact same noise. Seems sporadic when it happens. I don't drive the macan too much and only heard it once myself. Do have PSP.

Happened at low speed and steering wheel not at full lock. Heard it driving home after car fully warmed up.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I had this exact same noise once about a month ago and can't get it to repeat again. :crying:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I never had this problem before but then about one year later, I had it too for about a couple of weeks. Scheduled a service for it at the same time I had my 20k service. That morning, when I went to take it in for service it had "miraculously" disappeared. Dang gremlins!

The good news is that I've never hear it since and its been about two months.

Kind of like when a fly will disappear; the minute one brings out the fly swatter :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's why I captured it on video! Even if they can't repro the problem, I have proof!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts