Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first actual problem with my Macan, after 5000+ kilometers. Not a nice one. Hopefully it will be fixed soon and nobody else will experience that.

Last week, I lost my power steering and had to give my Macan a ride on a truck. There was no way to drive the car, and re-ignition did not help. Attachment shows the alarm message.

Software of the main computer was updated, and here we went. The same thing happened again on Thursday. That time re-ignition helped, after a couple of attempts. This morning, after a couple of malfunctions, I was able to drive the car to the service. This time they will check the wiring and the power steering unit. In the meanwhile, I am - again - driving a Cayenne.

Not a nice thing as I cannot increase the steering effort with the 20's as much as the car would need to turn.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The first actual problem with my Macan, after 5000+ kilometers. Not a nice one. Hopefully it will be fixed soon and nobody else will experience that.

Last week, I lost my power steering and had to give my Macan a ride on a truck. There was no way to drive the car, and re-ignition did not help. Attachment shows the alarm message.

Software of the main computer was updated, and here we went. The same thing happened again on Thursday. That time re-ignition helped, after a couple of attempts. This morning, after a couple of malfunctions, I was able to drive the car to the service. This time they will check the wiring and the power steering unit. In the meanwhile, I am - again - driving a Cayenne.

Not a nice thing as I cannot increase the steering effort with the 20's as much as the car would need to turn.
That sounds very disconcerting. Did the power fail while you were moving or stationary?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds very disconcerting. Did the power fail while you were moving or stationary?
Stationary, immediately after starting the engine. No problems after it functioned again. No other signs of malfunctions. Probably an electricity connection/software problem. I'll report back after the service people discover the reason.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
No fun, sorry to hear this @Old Tiger . At least it occurred when stationary, from what you wrote it's almost like its failing a self check on start up and then only the dealer can clear it. With a second visit I'm sure they remove and replace anything suspect to avoid a 3rd visit at all costs. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Stationary, immediately after starting the engine. No problems after it functioned again. No other signs of malfunctions. Probably an electricity connection/software problem. I'll report back after the service people discover the reason.
Well, at least that's good news. As @TripleL said, hopefully on this visit they'll nail it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Malfunction diagnozed. Steering column control unit will be replaced. Spare unit travels a week from Germany, which means in total of two Macanless weeks. Basic Cayenne is not a bad replacement car, but cannot be compared with Macan. Driving experience is so much nicer with Macan.

By the way, my good friend just bought a Boxter GTS, and I drove it yesterday. Pure pleasure with fantastic sound. I wonder why anybody would buy a 911 cabrio, because new Boxter even looks outstanding. But that sound, guys ...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Glad it's being taken care of, but that's a long time to wait.

I've noticed a tiny squeal/squeak when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds recently. Did you have similar symptoms?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I've noticed a tiny squeal/squeak when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds recently. Did you have similar symptoms?
No symptoms at all. No effects on steering. Just the malfuction immediately after starting.

·
Registered
259 Posts

That problem has surfaced on other cars too. I had the same problem with a former GM SUV. Turned out to be the power steering module/thingy, which makes sense. The slower the speed when turning, the louder the squeal. They replaced it and the problem vanished forever.

·
Registered
168 Posts
:(

-32c today on the way to the office about 2min after leaving my place I get the error message come up.

Macan is on the tow over to the dealer.

Anyone else have this problem yet?

Ive got 22,000km and have been ISSUE free up to this point.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Is it -32C or -32F?

·
Registered
912 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,432 Posts
:eek:

What, Huh?

That's - 25 degrees. What car wants to turn at -25? In fact, what human being goes out in -25 degree? You need one of them Subarus or Swedish or Norwegian cars for that, and some Nokian Snow tires, and Antarctic Canada Goose Expedition coats, and huge Russian hats, and Mittens from Alaska, and... well lots of really cold stuff. Don't all the birds migrate south about now?

Seriously, sorry to hear this. Do you plug your car in everywhere go? How is the battery doing? Did you get a block heater?

·
Registered
167 Posts

What, Huh?

That's - 25 degrees. What car wants to turn at -25? In fact, what human being goes out in -25 degree? You need one of them Subarus or Swedish or Norwegian cars for that, and some Nokian Snow tires, and Antarctic Canada Goose Expedition coats, and huge Russian hats, and Mittens from Alaska, and... well lots of really cold stuff. Don't all the birds migrate south about now?

Geez Grim,

I didn't realize how bad we in the Great White North had it, until you explained it. :)

OP, sorry to hear about your issue!

·
Premium Member
727 Posts

Do you plug your car in everywhere go? Did you get a block heater?
The Porsche dealership here says no block heater for the Macan (nor any other Porsches? :eek:

What??? Anyway, they tell me it's not needed nor recommended for the Porsches. First I've heard of this, but we'll see. Most years, we in Edmonton get to experience -35ºC to -40ºC temps for about a week, usually in January or February, but it's going up to +4ºC or +5ºC for the next couple of days.:D

·
Super Moderator
8,432 Posts
The Porsche dealership here says no block heater for the Macan (nor any other Porsches? :eek:

What??? Anyway, they tell me it's not needed nor recommended for the Porsches. First I've heard of this, but we'll see. Most years, we in Edmonton get to experience -35ºC to -40ºC temps for about a week, usually in January or February, but it's going up to +4ºC or +5ºC for the next couple of days.:D
I know you guys get those cold temps, and of course, in Alaska, but the pictures you see are the cars all plugged in over night.

Heat wave! :) Jan. Thaw!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts