Porsche Macan Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I have a 2019 Macan S. Due to reduced driving resulting from the pandemic combined with an impending move to the east coast from California, I decided to suspend the CA registration to save the $900 and register it in my new state when I moved. The relocation took three months to sort out so the car was largely undriven for three months. I had to reposition it a few times so contractors could do work in the garage and didn't have any issues, until today, the day before the shipper was supposed to collect it for transport east.

I went out to the car to move it to the street to make more room for the movers who were packing and moving my house contents and also get it out of harm's way. The car was completely dead.

I called Porsche roadside assistance and the automated system routed me to a website interface that suggested a few mechanic locations I could take it to. This after I had already indicated the battery was deal.

I called AAA and they had someone at my house within and hour. The battery registered at 7% on his machine so he hooked it up to a charger. The car wouldn't turn over. Some internet research indicated the issue may be the fake key thing. Further research indicated that in order to solve this issue, a side panel of the dash had to be removed to access a tiny tool to unlock the emergency release of the fake key.

Sure enough, once the fake key was replaced with the real key, the car started up. Yay! Problem solved!

Sadly, no. As I tried to pull the car out of my garage, the power steering failure warning came on and I could not move the wheels at all.

I called two different Porsche dealers and was told 1) it was almost certainly rodent damage or 2) it is totally normal for the car to become completely undriveable after a battery discharge situation. I responded that it certainly was not rodent damage and the idea that complete failure was a to be expected result of allowing the battery run down was completely absurd. Nonetheless, I was advised that this would likely not be covered by the warranty.

The car finally arrived at the dealer (I live 60 miles away and did not accompany the car) and a different service person called me and commented "your steering is really hard. This is not a common fault." (no kidding) Then he generously said he would do his best to get it covered by the warranty noting that it's due for regular service anyway. (thanks for the favor).

Given the holiday I will likely not know what's going on until next week. Fortunately, the auto transporter indicated they will just pick the car up from the dealer whenever it's ready for transport to the east coast.

So I got great service from AAA and Reindeer Auto Relocation and Porsche failed at every turn. First, a nearly new car (5k miles) failed (not to mention the absurdity of having to remove a piece of the car to get a small tool to fix a known issue resulting from battery discharge, a not uncommon occurrence), the roadside assistance service failed, and the service technicians at two separate dealers didn't listen to what I was telling them and assumed they knew the answer based on bad assumptions. My old Audi S5 is looking pretty good right now...

Stuff happens, even to new cars.

Dealers are not your friend. Service techs far from it.

And how at 5k miles are you scheduled for a regular service? I thought first service was at 10k.

And in saying he would try to get it covered under warranty, sounds like underpromising and will result in overdelivering to me. No way it will not be covered, unless it is indeed rodent damage. Did you carefully inspect wiring under hood?

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
In the warranty documentation for the 2019 Macan it states under Your Responsibility
for Normal Vehicle Use
on page 7:

* To be driven on reasonable road surfaces within legal speed limits.​
Porsche Guidelines specify reasonable mileage to be at least q5 miles /​
24 kilometers per day or 6000 miles / 9600 kilometers per rolling 12​
months.​

You did not fulfill that part of the warranty agreement.

And, on page 5 under This Warranty Does Not Cover, it states:

* Batteries damaged from storage, lack of normal vehicle use, or non-​
Porsche approved electrical or accessory installation.​

You did not fulfill the normal vehicle use and did not keep the battery charged.

I don't see how Porsche let you down...

The Owner's Manual describes how to remove the key in the event of a dead battery. Whose responsibility
is it to be familiar with the contents of the Owner's Manual?

Who is responsible for keeping the battery maintained?

Who is responsible for driving the vehicle the required minimum?

I think Rudy Giuliani will be looking for employment soon...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am not focused on the battery issue. I get that batteries drain from lack of usage. But what is not reasonable is for the car to become a paperweight as a result of the battery drain. With AAA I got the battery charged and the car started, The power steering complete failure is what I expect to be covered by the warranty. That's why I posted in this forum.

On the topic of the battery however, I think it is quite odd that you can configure the Macan with a fire extinguisher but the battery maintainer I hear quite a bit about yesterday is nowhere to be found and was not mentioned by my sales person or in my vehicle walkthrough at PECLA. I consider that a Porsche fail as well.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
465 Posts
On the topic of the battery however, I think it is quite odd that you can configure the Macan with a fire extinguisher but the battery maintainer I hear quite a bit about yesterday is nowhere to be found and was not mentioned by my sales person or in my vehicle walkthrough at PECLA. I consider that a Porsche fail as well.
Not sure what you mean nowhere to be found, it's listed on the Porsche site and any dealer can get you one. Yes, the SA should have asked you how much you will drive it and mentioned it if you told them less than 6000 miles a year. Or when you got it were you driving more that that? A lot of us have had our driving habits change significantly in the past year, and I don't think I would blame Porsche if that is the case, as it is pretty clear in the manual.

There's also a very extensive thread here talking about options for charging (the Porsche one is made by CTEK and you can get them cheaper elsewhere). It's a worthwhile investment to prolong the life of the battery when you aren't driving, plus a requirement as pointed out for maintaining the warranty on the battery.

The power steering does seem like something that should be covered. You mentioned talking to a couple different dealers. Is one the dealer you purchased from? Seems like the place to start. Sorry you are having issues.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Get a battery charger/tender. I have 2 now for my cars during this pandemic when I drive very little.

·
Super Moderator
9,626 Posts
The battery maintainer is exactly where its expected to be found. When you configure the car, its listed under

Tequipment Accessories
Care and Accessories

and right under that fabulous and extensive Porsche tool kit for $403 it says

Porsche Charge-O-Mat Pro $217

This model has a separate mode for a Lithium battery, which is also available for a mere $5195, but thats only a 60 amp and the Macan is 92 Amps. So you'd be better of just going to Amazon and pickup up a CTEK. We have several stickies threads on the Battery. CTEK website below

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tried searching for prior threads. Could not seem to find much on the topic.

Yesterday evening, I drove to the store - all seemed to be perfectly fine. No lights, warnings, or oddities with my 2015 Turbo. Temperatures below freezing lately, first true snowfall that day,

After about an hour I got back into the car and immediately got the warning: "Power Steering Failure: Driving Permitted" or something like that. Zero power steering at all. I sure got an arm workout on the drive home.

Anyone experience something like this before? I have no idea why it would be onset so quickly with absolutely no warning.

From the few treads I found, it seems there may be a module that has suddenly gone bad? I read that apparently a similar issue was common enough with Panameras that they had to recall several thousand vehicles.

Would hate a trip to the stealership. but seems that one may be in my future.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
@MacanCheez:

The previous threads on this seem to have been combined in one long thread, here:

I haven't read through the entire thread, but there might be something in there to help you out. Good luck.

·
Registered
275 Posts
@MacanCheez:

The previous threads on this seem to have been combined in one long thread, here:

I haven't read through the entire thread, but there might be something in there to help you out. Good luck.
Super helpful believe it or not. I came across the thread but brushed it off initially since it at first seemed to be discussing a slightly different error in relation to the power steering.

One member in there described almost my exact same symptoms. Looks like a software update helped, but the ultimate solution was replacement of a control module. Fingers crossed that’s all it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you driven since? Power steering still busted?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Have you driven since? Power steering still busted?
Yes and yes 🙃

At speed, it's manageable. Slow maneuvering is quite the workout.

Everything I'm reading points to a faulty module/electrical issue. Called the dealer and mentioned the situation, and will attempt driving there this afternoon for diagnostics. I mentioned the possibility of a faulty module, and the SA seemed to think it may be located inside the rack itself, which would mean $$$$$$ to replace...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Update: Dealer called and I need a new PS rack. Quoted $2800 for the part, ~$400 for labor, including coding (to get it fully functional, especially with my Power Steering Plus function), $250 alignment, plus $150 for the original diagnostics. Will be about $4k after tax... YIKES!!

Debated doing the job myself, but coding has me concerned.. Plus, driving over 100mi round trip from the dealer to my (friends) shop for install, and back to the dealer for coding is pretty big risk that can quickly cost a lot if anything goes wrong . Called some highly trusted independent shops and none of them will touch it... Worked out an arrangement with the dealer, and they are allowing me to source the part on my own, and bring to them to complete the job (plus they may give me a loaner Macan or Cayenne to try out). Found a 2018 rack with zero damage, 90 day guarantee, and 30k miles for $550 shipped. Should have back on the road for less than $1,500. Still an expensive, and unexpected repair, but not too terrible all things considered.

Used rack had me think twice, but the way I see it, A - it seems to be a fairly uncommon problem (this is only the third one that my dealer has seen in 5 years), and B - even if it fails again, I could have the job done a second time, and still be ahead by $1,000

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just to contribute to the discussion, I have just purchased a Macan that also has this dreaded message. It was also sat since November and battery seems to have completely died (recharge didn't help), will fire on a jump pack though.

Waiting for new battery and to test again, suspect I might need to replace the rack and guess the only way to code the computer for a replaced rack is at the dealer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also worth sharing this great video that helps you understand every possible fault and repair for the rack, appreciate it's dubbed but extremely informative:

81 - 94 of 94 Posts