Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,613 Posts
:eek:

What, Huh?

That's - 25 degrees. What car wants to turn at -25? In fact, what human being goes out in -25 degree? You need one of them Subarus or Swedish or Norwegian cars for that, and some Nokian Snow tires, and Antarctic Canada Goose Expedition coats, and huge Russian hats, and Mittens from Alaska, and... well lots of really cold stuff. Don't all the birds migrate south about now?

Seriously, sorry to hear this. Do you plug your car in everywhere go? How is the battery doing? Did you get a block heater?

·
Registered
167 Posts

What, Huh?

That's - 25 degrees. What car wants to turn at -25? In fact, what human being goes out in -25 degree? You need one of them Subarus or Swedish or Norwegian cars for that, and some Nokian Snow tires, and Antarctic Canada Goose Expedition coats, and huge Russian hats, and Mittens from Alaska, and... well lots of really cold stuff. Don't all the birds migrate south about now?

Geez Grim,

I didn't realize how bad we in the Great White North had it, until you explained it. :)

OP, sorry to hear about your issue!

·
Premium Member
727 Posts

Do you plug your car in everywhere go? Did you get a block heater?
The Porsche dealership here says no block heater for the Macan (nor any other Porsches? :eek:

What??? Anyway, they tell me it's not needed nor recommended for the Porsches. First I've heard of this, but we'll see. Most years, we in Edmonton get to experience -35ºC to -40ºC temps for about a week, usually in January or February, but it's going up to +4ºC or +5ºC for the next couple of days.:D

·
Super Moderator
8,613 Posts
The Porsche dealership here says no block heater for the Macan (nor any other Porsches? :eek:

What??? Anyway, they tell me it's not needed nor recommended for the Porsches. First I've heard of this, but we'll see. Most years, we in Edmonton get to experience -35ºC to -40ºC temps for about a week, usually in January or February, but it's going up to +4ºC or +5ºC for the next couple of days.:D
I know you guys get those cold temps, and of course, in Alaska, but the pictures you see are the cars all plugged in over night.

Heat wave! :) Jan. Thaw!

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts

What, Huh?

Seriously, sorry to hear this. Do you plug your car in everywhere go? How is the battery doing? Did you get a block heater?

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
I always admire those who live/survive in extreme cold places. I cannot survive coldness below the freezing point for long. :-(

·
Registered
167 Posts

@gordog, I got the same explanation from the dealers when I had my S4 and again with my 335xi. To me it seems like a good idea. In the North, pilots are careful to keep the engines on their airplanes warm before starting. I'd really like a Porsche engineer explain their position on this.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I know you guys get those cold temps, and of course, in Alaska, but the pictures you see are the cars all plugged in over night.

Heat wave! :) Jan. Thaw!
This is my first Porsche, and if it starts and runs well without a block heater, it will be my first vehicle that I've never had to plug in.

Studies show that only about 2 hours of plug-in are really necessary and really only at -20ºC or below, or up to 4 hours if temps are down to -35ºC to -40ºC.

Some plug in O/N at -10ºC which is waste of energy. When it gets to -10ºC, I see some people in shorts(saw a couple of fellows at Costco last week)! Not really that cold if it's not windy. I actually prefer a steady -10ºC as the car stays nice and clean for a long time if I wash it.;)

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
@gordog, I got the same explanation from the dealers when I had my S4 and again with my 335xi. To me it seems like a good idea. In the North, pilots are careful to keep the engines on their airplanes warm before starting. I'd really like a Porsche engineer explain their position on this.
I remember plugging in my '78 320i. But then I remember some German cars having fairly poor heaters way back. I always attributed that at the time with 'stout German breeding' that simply ignored the cold. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
:(

-32c today on the way to the office about 2min after leaving my place I get the error message come up.

Macan is on the tow over to the dealer.

Anyone else have this problem yet?

Ive got 22,000km and have been ISSUE free up to this point.
ArrJay. I had the same after 5000 km, with nice temperatures of around 24C. First they reprogrammed the main computer. Worked one day. Now they are replacing the steering column control unit. I should have my Macan back tomorrow. We will see if it was fixed.

In the meanwhile, I am driving a brand new Cayenne S, which is a nice car, but not really a drivers car. It feels as heavy as it looks even though it drives quite nicely. Still, the feeling is not even close to Macan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi arrjay , I just had the same problem today, driving along and then I loss my power steering, kind of dangerous, I limped it to the dealer and left it there.I have been having a lot of problems with mine, can you say lemon, worst suv I have ever bought..so much for the Porsche brand?...let me know if you are having any problems due to the cold weather.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just google SQ5 steering failure.

There are TONS of people have the same problem from 2013-2015 model year. The fix is a new steering rack (7th version), claimed to be this one http://www.vwoeparts.com/oe-volkswagen/8r1423055be that has been introduced in the 2nd half of 2015 SQ5 built. So I would assume Macan would only get this part now if your delivery is this year.

This seems to affect all Audi products from 2013 and on that is paired with the 3.0T engine. You have to wonder Porsche got the same part from the parts bin.

The funny part is, everyone who has this failure usually have to deal with -20c or colder temps, so mostly Canadians and one Minnesotan so far from all my researches.

I would assume that if Audi won't have a recall after this issue has gone thru at least 2 winters so far, there won't be a recall on Macan being the numbers are so low. They will probably just get you in to the dealership, give you a new rack and send you on your way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same issue on Macan S with 5k miles

Had the same issue today while driving. The steering wheel started to resist with quick jerks, then the message popped up about the power steering failure and increased resistance. I was able to drive home with more effort but when I slowed down to park it was almost impossible. Taking it in tomorrow. One major issue among several weird small issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the same issue today while driving. The steering wheel started to resist with quick jerks, then the message popped up about the power steering failure and increased resistance. I was able to drive home with more effort but when I slowed down to park it was almost impossible. Taking it in tomorrow. One major issue among several weird small issues.
Got my Macan back today. According to them, the issue was a shorted out steering control unit. These cars have an electric motor providing power steering and they had to replace the entire motor. All seems fine now. Glad to swap the base Cayenne for my Macan. Just over a week so I'm glad it's all good now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 Macan S that I bought Certified Pre Owned couple of months ago. Mileage is ~45,000 miles. I didn't have any issues so far until one day last week, the following error pops up with a yellow steering wheel sign.

"Steering support restricted Adapted driving permitted".

I was in a parking garage and when I started driving, I could feel the steering vibrating at low speeds especially while turning. I drove it for a couple of minutes in the parking garage and every time I turned the car off and back on, the message would pop back up. I left the car there and when I came back the next day, the message still popped up. I once again drove it for a couple of minutes in the garage and now, the following message popped up with a yellow steering wheel sign.

"Power steering fail Increased effort Driving permitted".

Power steering wasn't working any more. It took a lot of effort to steer. The interesting thing I noted after driving out of the garage was that there was fluid leaking under the car. I then went back and looked back at the couple of parking spots where I had parked the car since the messages popped up and sure enough, there were areas where it seemed like a dark fluid had dried up. I'm not sure if it's the power steering fluid leaking though another user on another macaw forum had indicated having a gearbox oil leak and having the gearbox replaced before this message popped up.

The car is at the dealership now. It's 4th of July here in the US and I won't hear from them for another 1-2 days. Anyone have any thoughts? I really hope I don't have a 'lemon'!!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Macan has electromechanical power steering, there’s no fluid. There may be some grease packing inside the rack so if a seal blew it may be leaking that. Is it a lemon, not after 3 years and 45,000 miles. Something broke, mechanical things do that, it’s why the CPO warranty has value. I’m sure it’s a straight forward fix, probably install a new steering rack and be good to go. It sucks but it’s not really a big deal.

Take a breath and let the dealer sort it out. I’d ask them for a loaner if this is your primary transportation.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts