Porsche Macan Forum banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
So, 3 days ago Porsche lubed the shaft (2nd x lubed). Squeak was GONE!

Tonight only 3 days later the squeak is back again, a bit louder!

I thought I'd be squeak free for 8 months to a year or maybe longer.

1st time replace shaft
2nd & 3rd time lube.

Result....fail

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Replaced Steering Wheel Intermediate shaft a 2nd time & lube it with krytox “work in on the bench” b4 installing it.

No squeak after repair, as with all the other fixes. I really hope this 4th fix is the one that sticks.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I recommend you ask for a new Steering Wheel Intermediate shaft & have them lube it with krytox “work in on the bench” b4 installing it. I think the pertinent P/Ns are 95B-419-753-D, Torx Screw WHT-004-955-A.

This is what fixed my squeak the 3rd visit & 1 year later....silent.

If they lube the H377 out of the new shaft BEFORE they put it in, they have easy access & can do a thorough job.

Let them know you are very particular Re centered s.w & steering feel & right now that is perfect.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would suggest the noise is coming from where the intermediate shaft passes through the firewall. It sounds like a dry rubber seal/ grommet or whatever Porsche uses to seal the shaft from the exterior elements.
It may need to be lubed from both inside the car , under the dash, and from under the car where the steering shaft exits the cabin.
I would ese spray grease.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I recommend you ask for a new Steering Wheel Intermediate shaft & have them lube it with krytox “work in on the bench” b4 installing it. I think the pertinent P/Ns are 95B-419-753-D, Torx Screw WHT-004-955-A.

This is what fixed my squeak the 3rd visit & 1 year later....silent.

If they lube the H377 out of the new shaft BEFORE they put it in, they have easy access & can do a thorough job.

Let them know you are very particular Re centered s.w & steering feel & right now that is perfect.
Thank you, I will try to put the full court press to get a new intermediate shaft lubed and installed over getting my current intermediate shaft lubed and reinstalled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I really doubt Porsche would remove your shaft, lube it & reinstall. They would lube it in place, through the hole in the firewall, in 5-10 minutes. Easy for them. IMO this is inadequate. Unless it was done every month or 2, LOL... Maybe until your warranty expired.

I also think when they replace the shaft with a new one, they do not do any lube but I'm not sure. Probably lubed at factory.

Mine is MY2016 & after having it "fixed" 2x & the squeak came back, I was searching for a better solution so I asked my Shop foreman many questions. What type of lube, how that lube reacts to hot temperatures & many more. I came up with the idea for the tech to lube the replacement shaft, a lot, anywhere that 1 thing rubs against another b4 it is installed. I thought he would roll his eyes but he thought it a good idea & instructed the tech to do just that in writing.

IDK if mine will start squeaking again but the last 2 fixes had the squeak resume in a few months & now I'm @ 1 year & squeak free.

Reactions: Jaylmw08

·
Registered
261 Posts
I really doubt Porsche would remove your shaft, lube it & reinstall. They would lube it in place, through the hole in the firewall, in 5-10 minutes. Easy for them. IMO this is inadequate. Unless it was done every month or 2, LOL... Maybe until your warranty expired.

I also think when they replace the shaft with a new one, they do not do any lube but I'm not sure. Probably lubed at factory.

Mine is MY2016 & after having it "fixed" 2x & the squeak came back, I was searching for a better solution so I asked my Shop foreman many questions. What type of lube, how that lube reacts to hot temperatures & many more. I came up with the idea for the tech to lube the replacement shaft, a lot, anywhere that 1 thing rubs against another b4 it is installed. I thought he would roll his eyes but he thought it a good idea & instructed the tech to do just that in writing.

IDK if mine will start squeaking again but the last 2 fixes had the squeak resume in a few months & now I'm @ 1 year & squeak free.
Which is why I sent my SA the link to this. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173041-0001.pdf

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I don't think they had that TSB in summer 2019.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The TSB was originally issued in August of 2014. Porsche started installing modified steering shafts in Macans at the factory in June, 2016. The TSB has been modified three times, the latest in March of this year.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
So when I 1st brought my car in for SW squeak they should have installed new shaft ...after lubing it & they did NOT.
So my great idea suggested to my SA happened to be what the TSB actually instructed them to do!

Not an original idea, as I had thought.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Glad I found this thread - noticed this issue upon delivery of a 2020 S - Very noticeable loud creaking noise when backing, turning out of driveways every time. Figured it just needed to be broken in but 7 months in still there. Will def. be addressing at my next service appt. Fingers crossed dealer can solve.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Glad I found this thread - noticed this issue upon delivery of a 2020 S - Very noticeable loud creaking noise when backing, turning out of driveways every time. Figured it just needed to be broken in but 7 months in still there. Will def. be addressing at my next service appt. Fingers crossed dealer can solve.
Dealership replaced my intermediate steering shaft, but the squeaking still comes back occasionally, when it's really hot outside. I'm sick of going back and forth to the dealership, probably like the 4th time this year. So I will address it when I do my next oil change. It doesn't really affect any driving dynamics, it's just annoying.

·
Registered
2018 GTS Volcano Grey Metallic
38 Posts
I've noticed this issue popping up on my Macan now too - good to know it's nothing serious and a minor annoyance. There's been a few suggestions around lubing it up around the steering shaft rubber seal, but I'm not quite sure what the best lubricant would be to do this myself. I have a few types laying around, but I'm mostly concerned about degrading the rubber, less concerned about having to do it every year or so.

Thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
966 Posts
I've noticed this issue popping up on my Macan now too - good to know it's nothing serious and a minor annoyance. There's been a few suggestions around lubing it up around the steering shaft rubber seal, but I'm not quite sure what the best lubricant would be to do this myself. I have a few types laying around, but I'm mostly concerned about degrading the rubber, less concerned about having to do it every year or so.

Thanks for any tips!
I had this issue and used the Dupont teflon lubricant Amazon.com : DuPont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant Squeeze Bottle, 4 Oz. : Bike Oils : Sports & Outdoors

Since then, no squeak, I sprayed it into the steering column down by where it enters the firewall and around the boot that covers the column,

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Porsche dealers have a Porsche "approved" lubricant for this intermediate steering shaft.

Having Porsche replace the shaft (2nd time) under warranty & b4 installing it, lube the @#[email protected]&! out of it....worked for me.

101 - 120 of 122 Posts