Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody experienced any noises (squeaky) when turning the steering wheel? Sounds like its coming from the steering column. I have 3,000 miles on the car and i just started noticing it. I don't think its the tires because all i need to do is barely turn the wheel from side to side and I notice it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, it happened to me about a month ago. It sounded exactly as you described, like it was coming from the steering column. I noticed it during/after a 300 mile road trip. I too was around the 3,000 mile mark. For whatever reason, it went away soon after that trip and has not returned. I have to take the Macan in for service and will be having them check it out.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Has anybody experienced any noises (squeaky) when turning the steering wheel? Sounds like its coming from the steering column. I have 3,000 miles on the car and i just started noticing it. I don't think its the tires because all i need to do is barely turn the wheel from side to side and I notice it.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, I noticed it and the service people lubricated some sort of cylinder in the steering column and it has gone away. They did this when I took it in for the fuel line recall, part replacement.

Reactions: Louie Zoi

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I had a ratcheting noise coming from the column. In high heat and after driving about 15 miles or so the issue would pop up and become extremely loud. It never made the noise first thing in the morning. I had to take it in 5x and they couldn't fix it. The noise got better but also the weather got cold so I couldn't test it in the heat. They lubricated everything a couple times and changed the clock spring then finally changed out something more major. Last summer one tech told me it's a known issue with Porsche but there was no current fix. Have never heard this noise in any car before.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wonder if the steering wheel problem is inherited from the Audi line? In addition to my Macan I own two Audi Q5's 2009 and 2013. The older one has exactly the same problem as you are describing racheting sound during hard steering (mostly during reverse driving). I am taking it for service on Tuesday Jan. 5 th. This specific carhistorically has had 2-3 problems related to steering. They popped out on the 4 th year of ownership. Dealer replaced quite few steering components in the last years. Hope the Macan does inherit same faulty/low reliability steering.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This really isn't a racheting sound on mine. I assume a racheting sound is more pronounced. It's a soft squeaky noise when I Barely turn the wheel from side to side,

·
Registered
66 Posts
This really isn't a racheting sound on mine. I assume a racheting sound is more pronounced. It's a soft squeaky noise when I Barely turn the wheel from side to side,
Yours is different than junior and mines then. The sounds that is coming from the steering of my Audi Q5 is more like tuck, tuck, as you steer completely left or right especially on reverse.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The ratcheting was also when you slowly turn the wheel side to side. After about the 4th attempt I wound up with the soft squeaky rubbing noise you are describing (in addition to the ratcheting), but the squeaky noise they were able to fix in one attempt. As far as the member with the Audi issue this sounds like something completely different than what I experienced on the Macan.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I just heard the squeaking sound last night as I was backing up & maneuvering into garage!
I can reproduce it parked. Hopefully, it can easily be fixed by lubrication next time I bring it in & will not reoccur. I wonder if this happens more than people are reporting & some have not heard it due to ambient noise, etc.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Drove it today & no squeak! But on return home I thought I heard a little bit of squeak again getting into garage but not sure, No where near as constant & loud as b4. So, may be intermittent. Strange.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had my January 2016 S in for steering column squeek twice and still not fixed. The first time the column was replaced, second time it was lubed.

Apparently Porsche Canada are now involved with the dealer as I'm not the only Macan that has suffered from it there.

Let's see what happens.

Steve

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I've had my January 2016 S in for steering column squeek twice and still not fixed. The first time the column was replaced, second time it was lubed.
Was/is your squeak constant? Or intermittent? I assume when they replaced steering column it was "fixed" for a while? I can't imagine a loud, constant squeak & you bring it in & they "fix" it & you pick up the car & it immediately squeaks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
No the squeak changed from being immediate left and right just off centre, to being at the ends of the right and left lock! Therefore the mechanic wouldn't have noticed unless he/she did move the wheel to the ends of each lock position. I didn't notice until I got home and did a full lock to get in my home garage.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
My steering wheel squeak has been there most days and I finally arranged to bring it in and dropped the car off today. I'll find out tomorrow what they did to fix it. Of course today at the dealer, it was not squeaking! I was able to reproduce it, many times, with the car stopped and just slightly moving the steering wheel left and right... just a few degrees... so, it's extremely doubtful it was tire noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yours is different than junior and mines then. The sounds that is coming from the steering of my Audi Q5 is more like tuck, tuck, as you steer completely left or right especially on reverse.

The ratcheting sound you are hearing is (I believe) called the Ackerman Effect and is completely normal.

Apparently I'm not allowed to post links yet, so you'll have to google this yourself, but there is a good Wikipedia article on it as well as some instructional youtube videos.

The squeaking others (including the OP) have described is not. My apologies for being late to the thread but I didn't see the ratcheting sound question answered.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Replace intermediate shaft per TSB SY1714.

So far so good, no squeaking. I'll know in a week or so if it is truly fixed. My service advisor said that in hot climates this is a problem and it's not a problem in cold climates. Something about the insulation crumbles due to high temperatures.

I tried to look up technical service bulletin SY1714 no luck. I tried looking up TSB Porsche Macan intermediate shaft and still couldn't find it. It would be nice to actually see the text of the actual TSB.

Unlike recalls/campaigns… Porsche will not notify us for TSB's. (Nor would any automobile manufacturer!) I realize that every TSB does not need to be done on my particular car but, it would be nice to have a heads up so I could watch for certain issues before the warranty expires.

Found this:
2016 Porsche Macan TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | PorscheProblems.com

Doesn't mention SY1714 or intermediate shaft.

Reactions: springct

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
TSB's are not recalls and they usually don't affect all cars. It is fix-it when needed only.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
1 - 20 of 122 Posts