Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Master cylinder appointment complete that fixes the squeaking sound from the brake pedal. I was denied any help from PCNA for good will since I am out of warranty although I am at 46K miles. Therefore, I was totally prepared for the sticker shock originally quoted $1,495 to "start" for this repair. The part came quickly that probably indicates that these type of failures are common and these parts are stocked in the US vs. having to be shipped from Germany as others noted. The time that it takes to get this completed is 6 hours per Service Manager and did not seem to require brake fluid flush as others noted, but I was due for it and asked them to do it. The actual invoice came to be $2,500 plus $195 for the brake fluid flush and they kept the car 2 days since they were pretty busy.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Replacing the brake master cylinder doesn't require brake fluid flush? Your dealer's got some issues. The $2500 charge is suspiciously high too.

·
Registered
476 Posts
@jzwu I will need to talk to the actual tech to confirm this but this is what the Service Manager said while finalizing the paperwork.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can report that the low viscosity fluid solved the problem for me.

Back in October I did my 2 year service at an Indy in Chicago which included the brake fluid exchange. I noticed the brake pedal squeak within a few days but initially thought it was air in the line or something that would work its way through...but the squeak persisted. I did not notice any reduced braking power or performance so decided to wait for a bit (and do my online research). After a couple months or so finally found the time to bring it to the dealer to inquire about the Master Cylinder/Brake Booster. Dealer did a bunch of tests and did not find anything wrong and could not diagnose the problem leading to the squeak despite them acknowledging the sound. They then had the nerve to tell me squeaks and rattles are not covered under the warranty. But, believe it or not they actually took a recording and said they would send it to Porsche engineering to have them listen and opine...at least that’s what they said; it has been three weeks and I have heard nothing from the dealership.

So it was time to try the brake fluid route. I decided to go back to the Indy and ask what brake fluid they used. Lo and behold it was ATE 200. I asked if they could replace the fluid with Pentosin DOT4 LV and offered to pay for the service. But talk about great customer service they said they would do it at no extra charge to me (even had to special order the fluid).

Today I brought the car in for the brake fluid replacement. Picked it up at the end of the day and pedal is quiet as a mouse. So that fixed my issue.

Reactions: sergeyb

·
Registered
476 Posts
@Otakugamer, great story. I am not sure if it would apply to my situation since my brake fluid was done at 2 years per manual by the dealer and then at 4 years I was due for another flush when I happen to have the squeak that master cylinder replacement eliminated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
@Otakugamer, great story. I am not sure if it would apply to my situation since my brake fluid was done at 2 years per manual by the dealer and then at 4 years I was due for another flush when I happen to have the squeak that master cylinder replacement eliminated.
I can see that. Certainly if the appropriate fluid was used consistently as in your case across both flushes then Master Cylinder replacement would be another proven fix.

Reactions: sergeyb

·
Registered
2 Posts
This started couple weeks ago but I didn't have time to think much about it but now it is getting very annoying. Any thoughts on how to solve this and not having to take the car to the dealer? Just to clarify, breaks are fine and no noise at all. Just the pedal is noisy when pressed.
Hey, I'm having the same issue and dealer is also saying its "normal". Did you do anything to fix it or did it just go away on its own? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took my 2017 Macan S with 28K miles to dealer because of squeaky brake pedal..same as OP. Dealer is replacing master cylendar under warranty, and just like with JZWU the part needs to be ordered from Germany. I knew they would need to flush the brakes, but replacing the coolant would be a nice bonus.

Also, numerous forum postings have suggested that ATE 200 fluid could be a culprit with a squeaky brake pedal. Porsche specs low-viscosity brake fluid these days... which presumably means Pentosin LV rather than ATE 200. Before I replaced a master cyendar out of warranty I think I would flush twice with LV fluid.... just in case there was something to that.
Hey, I have the same issue and the service department is telling me since there aren't any "codes" showing there is a master cylinder issue, they can't fix it under warranty. Did you have to jump through hoops to get it fixed or did your Macan actually give you an error or "code"? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hey, I'm having the same issue and dealer is also saying its "normal". Did you do anything to fix it or did it just go away on its own? Thanks!
If I am remember correctly it just went away on its own.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts