Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi -

I have the same "clicking" issue with the brake pedal. Only ever had it with one other car - an old BMW, and it turned out to be a bad pedal sensor (activated tail lights, as I understood it). Replacement fixed the sound.

Surprised to have a Porsche making this noise. Shop telling me nothing is wrong, but it started after they checked pads and rotors on one visit (and I'm sensitive to irregular sounds, and would have noticed it in the prior months!).

Curious if everyone has this (and it's normal), or if anyone had it and found a resolution.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the folks with the same problem: the master cylinder needs to be replaced.

The pedal squeal came in about 12k miles and got to be very loud. Took it to the dealer and while the SA was working the pedal, the tech was checking the source of the noise in the engine bay. First they tried to lubricate the pedal mechanism but it did not work. The SA told me that they had a similar issue once and it ended up being the cylinder itself. The part was ordered but strangely enough it had to be shipped from Germany since none was available here nearby in the US.

The noise was taken care of. By now I've put over 2000 miles on it and all is nice and quiet.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
I had the same squeaky sound from the brake pedal, not brake pads.

Dealer replaced the brake master cylinder. The noise comes from the piston in the master cylinder. Nice thing is I also got a free brake fluid and coolant change with the repair since they had to be drained during the fix

Thanks @TNMacan for reviving this thread. I started to have this noise late in 2018 at a little over 30k miles and thought WTH just let the dealer check it out while still under warranty. They quickly found the culprit from the brake master cylinder.

So don’t hesitate to take your Macan to dealer when under warranty and never take No as an answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear Jzwu,
Thanks for the feedback... Do you confirm the repair was done under warranty? Do you have any idea how much this would cost otherwise?

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
My repair was done under warranty. I think the total cost was $500-1000. Dealer replaced the brake master cylinder and flushed brake fluid and coolant.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just thought I'd add, as I didn't know until was told, braking squeak can sometimes come from accumulated disc brake dust on your calipers. Just hose it off as required and you are generally good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think my problem is more related to a faulty brake light switch. It's a disctinct "click" rather than a squeal, very similar to what AlexSeeker mentioned in his post above.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Took my 2017 Macan S with 28K miles to dealer because of squeaky brake pedal..same as OP. Dealer is replacing master cylendar under warranty, and just like with JZWU the part needs to be ordered from Germany. I knew they would need to flush the brakes, but replacing the coolant would be a nice bonus.

Also, numerous forum postings have suggested that ATE 200 fluid could be a culprit with a squeaky brake pedal. Porsche specs low-viscosity brake fluid these days... which presumably means Pentosin LV rather than ATE 200. Before I replaced a master cyendar out of warranty I think I would flush twice with LV fluid.... just in case there was something to that.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
I think dealer did the coolant flush/exchange on my Macan when they replaced the brake master cylinder. Somehow the coolant needs to be drained for the repair.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a squeaky brake pedal that I can reproduce when putting in on HOLD and then pressing about mid way and then pressing and releasing a little. Then when coming to a stop if I lightly brake, I can hear and distinct long squeak. Well, I am out of warranty although only 46K miles so will be bracing for the master cylinder replacement but due for the 2 year brake fluid flush. Feeling like after warranty expired 6 months ago, things starting to happen, already paid $800 to replace rear view mirror for faulty dimming sensor.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am at the dealer troubleshooting the brake pedal and sure enough the master cylinder as others said on this thread. The estimate is $1,425 to "start" and they will let me know if the part has to come from Germany as others said. I am out of warranty but at 46K miles so that stings especially after the rear view mirror dimming sensor failed last month and I already paid $900 our of warranty for that.

Reactions: springct

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Since you’re within 50k miles, ask Porsche for some goodwill.

·
Registered
476 Posts
@jzwu , I certainly will but I just asked them for good will on the rear view mirror and they helped a little but not much. If I use goodwill on this then if I have PDK or engine going out then I am totally out of luck. I will call PCNA and open the case and ask them to help.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Get whatever goodwill when you can. Once you’re out of 50k miles the odds are getting smaller.

Reactions: sergeyb

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I wonder how many more people will make the same mistake I made by flushing their Macan with ATE 200? Sure glad that I learned the hard way while the car was still under warranty.... which made it significantly less hard. If that happned after the waaranty expired I never would have stopped kicking myself. So tell your Macan friends, Porsxche brand or Pentosin LV fluid only!

I still will continue to use ATE 200 in my 987 which has never caused me trouble.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I got news from PCNA that I am SOL. They simply said since I am out of warranty regardless of my low mileage, they will not help pay for it. So I am anticipating to pay in the order of $2,000 to fix this issue.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Ouch!! Have you used anything other than Porsche brake fluid in your car? If so, before I dropped two G’s o would flush with Porsche fluid...drive and flush again. Worth the time and $60 in fluid before replacing MC. And then if that doesn’t work I would drop $300 on a new MC and do it myself. No question! Even if the only tools I owned were chopsticks!
Not paying dealer $2K, that’s for sure.

·
Registered
476 Posts
@HazelPDX , interesting idea. I am due for brake fluid flush but the sound is mechanical so it is not the fluid and I can reproduce it easily. I always service at the dealer so I did not do any kind of flushing own my own. I already committed to the fix hoping the PCNA would chip in but since they are not, I will be going through this. The part arrived quickly so it did not come from Germany so this would indicate that they are having them fail. Therefore, anyone still in warranty should ask their dealer inspect for failing Master Cylinder to avoid my fate. My wife who drives it noticed it within warranty but mistakenly was telling me that it was the brakes so I was listening for the noise to come from the outside, however, when I realized it is from the pedal itself, it was too late.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
I took my Macan to dealer when I heard the squeaking noise but didn’t expect such a big issue. Only thought it was an easy fix with lube.

Glad I did while still under the factory warranty. So don’t hesitate to go to dealer for anything, however minor, when you still have the factory warranty.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts