Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have been watching a few Macan service Youtube presentations and one of the service tech's uses some sort of spray cleaner in the engine bay and surrounds.
Does anybody know what this product is? or what you use.... thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'd guess that it's just a bottle of quick detailer or perhaps a light degreaser (Simple Green, maybe?). Once a year I use a quick detailer with some old towels under the hood. 5 minute job and it looks 98% perfect. I've seen people power wash their engine bay, although I don't think I could ever do it. Aside from the potential damage, I just don't care enough.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Start the engine. Get it HOT. Turn off the engine. Spray with Simple Green. Rinse the engine compartment down well with water. Once done, spray the engine compartment a second time with Simple Green. Shut the hood and let everything dry. Boom! Perfect.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hi everyone, I have been watching a few Macan service Youtube presentations and one of the service tech's uses some sort of spray cleaner in the engine bay and surrounds.
Does anybody know what this product is? or what you use.... thanks
IFF:

1) You're referencing this video (my favorite among all the Macan maintenance videos I've seen, and certainly an examplar for all techs out there):

2) And you're talking about the spraying that starts at 10:28 and goes on for a few seconds

THEN:

3) My guess is that he's using this product:

The reason this is my guess is that:

A) In the "Materials used" list -- this is the second paragraph in the description, and you can see it by clicking SHOW MORE underneath the first paragraph -- he mentions "Winzer rubber and plastic restore (seals and engine trim)."

B) In looking at other Winzer automotive products (thinking that if one product from that company is good, two might be better), that "Show N Go Wash N Wax" seems to me to reasonably appropriate for the job at hand ... and more importantly it is the proper color. (If you click on the Specifications tab on that product page, Winzer calls it pink, but it looks more purple to me, the same as what the color in the video appears to me.)

C) He doesn't mention all the products he uses, so I think the viewer is allowed to extrapolate a bit in this regard. (For instance, the materials list doesn't include the windshield cleaner he uses, but having carefully studied various frames in the video -- I did this a few months ago -- I determined that it was Rain-X 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner + Rain Repellent.)

In any of this relevant to your question?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
So back in the day I decided to clean the engine of my Ferrari 308 GTS. I warmed it up and then applied a mixture of Gunk and kerosene. WHOOM! It caught fire. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and pulled the handle. This was a dry extinguisher that shot this white crap everywhere. Fire out but ten hours of cleaning that white stuff off the engine. Nowadays I just buy a new car if the engine gets dirty. This makes life simpler. Last car took 28 years to get that dirty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So back in the day I decided to clean the engine of my Ferrari 308 GTS. I warmed it up and then applied a mixture of Gunk and kerosene. WHOOM! It caught fire. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and pulled the handle. This was a dry extinguisher that shot this white crap everywhere. Fire out but ten hours of cleaning that white stuff off the engine. Nowadays I just buy a new car if the engine get dirty. This makes life simpler. Last car took 28 years to get that dirty.
?????Good one

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use Scrubbing Bubbles on my Element engine bay, but then again it doesn't have carpet either.....:D

·
Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
So back in the day I decided to clean the engine of my Ferrari 308 GTS. I warmed it up and then applied a mixture of Gunk and kerosene. WHOOM! It caught fire. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and pulled the handle. This was a dry extinguisher that shot this white crap everywhere. Fire out but ten hours of cleaning that white stuff off the engine. Nowadays I just buy a new car if the engine get dirty. This makes life simpler. Last car took 28 years to get that dirty.
Ha!

I used Gunk on my John Deere about 8 months ago and decided to read the label to
determine whether I was supposed to have the engine hot or cold. It seems to me the
instructions used to recommend (like back in the 70s) a hot engine.

No longer.

The can's instructions indicated the engine had to be cold - and it worked just fine!

?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I used to be an SCCA/IMSA Corner Captain. My crew and I trained in fire fighting at Road Atlanta. We were very particular about the types of fire extinguishers we used but if the whole engine bay is on fire . . . . .

·
Registered
286 Posts
That's why every vehicle we own has a Halon fire extinguisher in it and the garage has a couple of 10 lb. Halons. No residue. As for cleaning the engine bay, here's my tip: Find FAST ORANGE hand cleaner SMOOTH (NON-Pumice). Put a dollop in your palm and wipe it up with a paper towe;l (I prefer BOUNTY). Then wipe the engine bay down with it. Once you have it clean, it won't take much work to keep it clean. Another tip: Rub the FAST ORANGE on grease spots in clothing, then run it through the washing machine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So back in the day I decided to clean the engine of my Ferrari 308 GTS. I warmed it up and then applied a mixture of Gunk and kerosene. WHOOM! It caught fire. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and pulled the handle. This was a dry extinguisher that shot this white crap everywhere. Fire out but ten hours of cleaning that white stuff off the engine. Nowadays I just buy a new car if the engine gets dirty. This makes life simpler. Last car took 28 years to get that dirty.
Reminds me of something:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts