Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 424 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here installed the Sport Chrono upgrade from Suncoast, either on a Macan or other Porsche model?

It appears that it is identical to SC from the factory, and requires a Porsche dealership to install, so seems legit. At about half the price of factory SC, it would seem like a no-brainer. Any downsides?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
You have to pay for the install; so "about half" is going to quickly turn into "about the Same" or worse. It'll have to be done by a dealer, I believe, as they have the computers required and an independent isn't likely to have them.

And you don't get the display in the center of the dash.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You have to pay for the install; so "about half" is going to quickly turn into "about the Same" or worse. It'll have to be done by a dealer, I believe, as they have the computers required and an independent isn't likely to have them.

And you don't get the display in the center of the dash.
In US the clock on dash is standard.. so all you miss is the SC lap timer on the dash instead... Not a big deal... I prefer clock to the constantly ticking lap timer, based on my test drive of Macan with SC...

·
Registered
558 Posts
my dealer said they will match price to suncoast, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

I am still reading on SC experience. I wish some would say what they like about it?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I will be there this Saturday, I will try to remember and ask.
That would be cool! When speccing a car, it would make sense to include SC, if one really wants it, even if one could somehow save a few bucks installing it after fact (but without the stopwatch). But it would be nice to know a reasonably priced options exists, for those on the fence or with the cars already ordered.

·
Registered
558 Posts
That would be cool! When speccing a car, it would make sense to include SC, if one really wants it, even if one could somehow save a few bucks installing it after fact (but without the stopwatch). But it would be nice to know a reasonably priced options exists, for those on the fence or with the cars already ordered.
Have you guys read reviews on anyone tried both of them?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Have you guys read reviews on anyone tried both of them?
My car doesn't have SC. Only SC Macan I've driven was at ED on the Leipzig track, not a good comparison. The better sound that comes with sport plus one can also get by keeping the exhaust flap open permanently, at the expense of a slight drone at (US) cruising speeds. It would really take a long test drive, it seems, to decide whether SC is worth it. Wouldn't want to do that now, if my only option was to get a new car if I decided it was a "must-have". With the retrofit possibility (pending some info on installation cost), it becomes something to consider.

·
Registered
887 Posts
have you done the exhaust flap mod to stay open?
Let's say I have checked out what it does. There is more and maybe even better sound with the flap open. There is a slight drone on highway speeds. The effect is much more noticeable on the outside than on the inside (which is going to be a problem for all Macan exhaust "upgrades", unless you don't care about your neighbors). But flap-open does NOT give you permanently the monster sound you get in the first moments of a cold start.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Let's say I have checked out what it does. There is more and maybe even better sound with the flap open. There is a slight drone on highway speeds. The effect is much more noticeable on the outside than on the inside (which is going to be a problem for all Macan exhaust "upgrades", unless you don't care about your neighbors). But flap-open does NOT give you permanently the monster sound you get in the first moments of a cold start.
Are you talking about the unpluging the grey wire mod or something else? SC faster shifting is definitely a good thing.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Are you talking about the unpluging the grey wire mod or something else? SC faster shifting is definitely a good thing.
There is a grey lock tab on the connector to the valve control that one needs to pull back to pull out the connector and permanently open the flap. There was a post in a different thread where one of our friends said that in sport plus mode (with SC) the flap is open permanently, whereas in other modes in only opens at certain RPM (or under certain load?). On other cars with an exhaust flap I had the flap opened at fixed RPM.

So, sound-wise I'd expect sport plus to be similar to sport with the connector pulled, although with sport plus you'll also spend more time at higher RPM (while saying goodbye to your gas mileage).

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just placed an order for Sport Chrono upgrade. The price is 700 € plus tax (total, in Italy 854 €). They quoted one hour of labor!
Yes, it is Diesel, but with AS and PASM, it should be great. Now I'm waiting for the call.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess I don't understand this process. Suncoast is selling the "factory" Sport Plus mode (minus the chronometer on the dash) at less than Porsche does. Why don't individual dealers sell this locally and eliminate the middle-man? Do any dealer balk at installing an upgrade purchased through a third party? Guess I'm just not understanding the motivations involved in the process...and why anyone would buy Sport Chrono from Porsche instead of adding after-market.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I guess I don't understand this process. Suncoast is selling the "factory" Sport Plus mode (minus the chronometer on the dash) at less than Porsche does. Why don't individual dealers sell this locally and eliminate the middle-man? Do any dealer balk at installing an upgrade purchased through a third party? Guess I'm just not understanding the motivations involved in the process...and why anyone would buy Sport Chrono from Porsche instead of adding after-market.
as far as I understand, this is a original equipment. My dealer said that they will match price if I buy from them (so no middle man there)
I didn't consider it at the time of purchase of this vehicle but now after driving other P-cars equipped with one, I feel that I could enjoy my car more.
It could be my age, but I have learned that adding a bit of fun every now and then to my car, brings new things to enjoy. Quality after-purchase parts are fun.

·
Registered
378 Posts
This is what I ordered from Porsche Zentrum Bolzano:

Porsche Tequipment Genuine Accessories

95B 044 900 70 SPORT PLUS mode subsequent installation
For vehicles without compass and without Sport Chrono package

SPORT PLUS button for even sportier tuning of the engine and chassis, including performance display in PCM and the instrument cluster.
Note: In combination with PDK, also offers Launch Control racing start function and race track gearshift strategy. Does not include Sport Chrono stopwatch

1 - 20 of 424 Posts