Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts
I suspect all cars are going to have electronic parts below seat cushions for motor functions of the seat, such as heating/ventilator/lumbar/seat position etc. I doubt any car seat is going to be water/spill proof either.
I hear ya. Of course it doesn’t have to be waterproof. Just resistant because, not only are things going to get spilled in seats, but people are going to run to their car in an unexpected rainstorm and get in the car wet. All of these are just life. Perhaps the sensors has some shielding or a $5 fuse blows or the sensor shuts down until it is sufficiently dry. But a simple, predictable mistake (and it wasn’t a lot of coffee, my canister just leaked), a customer shouldn’t have to pay nearly $2000.
I thank you for your thoughtful responses and feedback!

... Perhaps the sensors has some shielding or a $5 fuse blows or the sensor shuts down until it is sufficiently dry. But a simple, predictable mistake (and it wasn’t a lot of coffee, my canister just leaked), a customer shouldn’t have to pay nearly $2000....
Ask your salesperson, where you are about to pull the trigger on the new 2022 Macan, if they can help.
Take it to a different Porsche dealer to see if you get a better price for this repair.
Contact PCNA & explain the situation & your plans to purchase a new 2022, that you are now questioning.
If all the above fails, Check with your auto insurance to see if they will cover this.

BTW, did Porsche examine the sensor & tell you it is damaged by coffee?
Seems most of that $1600 is labor & if they already removed the seat to find the issue, did they just put it back, with the now damaged sensor?

I don't eat in my cars but do always carry & drink water.
I have never spilled but, it certainly is a possibility that I can someday drop my water bottle into my lap!
I hate to think it can cause so much damage.
I think many people drink coffee & other drinks in cars & am surprised we have not heard of this damage b4.

Was it a large leak & immediately afterwards, you got the airbag light?

I wonder how difficult it is to replace that sensor, once the seat is out & the leather seat cover removed? (A good upholstery shop can remove the seat w/o damage.)

I also wonder why Porsche did not wrap that & any sensor in the seat cushions in waterproof plastic.

Reactions: cdarwinj

Now, I'm paranoid about spilling water ;)

I wonder if your sensor is actually damaged or if it just needs to be reset?

Reactions: 95B3.6 and TXRed

Perfect internettbread . . .everyone is a little right and a little wrong . . . Preaching peppered with advise.

i avoided the perfect person problems and accepted all the stupid stuff I do as a life price . . . . Ask me about Nikon sometime . . . . That one will may the dumbest of our number feel eligible for a Nobel prIze.

Rough duty . . , being the sacrificial idiot . . . But I’m good at it.

Fix the seat and enjoy . . . This is probably the only life you’re going to get.

Now, I'm paranoid about spilling water ;)

I wonder if your sensor is actually damaged or if it just needs to be reset?
ugh - so you're saying this is an vw group design feature, check minus earned

Also I get that it's an expensive car but I also want to idk do normal things like spill a beverage without servicing it or idk own a dog. (Still thinking of buying one though)

Thanks!

ugh - so you're saying this is an vw group design feature, check minus earned
I did not say that.

You can do searches on spilled coffee/spilled drink on car seat & now have airbag light.

I think this is an issue with many & maybe all cars.

Also, there is the issue of whether this destroys the sensor or if liquid just causes a temporary problem until it dries out or until it is reset.
IDK
I had not heard of this issue b4 but, a search revealed it is apparent somewhat common.

I did not say that.

You can do searches on spilled coffee/spilled drink on car seat & now have airbag light.

I think this is an issue with many & maybe all cars.

Also, there is the issue of whether this destroys the sensor or if liquid just causes a temporary problem until it dries out or until it is reset.
IDK
I had not heard of this issue b4 but, a search revealed it is apparent somewhat common.
Sure you may not have said literally that, but quoting that a 2012 vw has the same issue implies to me, someone with a mechanical and engineering background that it is in all economically viable likelihood; the same problem.

Also spilled lots of water and soda in my lifetime on late model cars without ever doing ruining one yet, so I would say that is a higher level of jank than I would expect from even an american car.

On that note, if that's the worst thing I can find about the macan, I can definitely seeing owning one this week : )

I just ordered a 2022 GTS, which will be my fourth Porsche. However, the airbag light came on my 2020 GTS and the dealer tracked the problem to a sensor under the passenger seat. Coffee from my travel mug must have leaked out and through the seat perforations.

The cost to repair? $1,600! Who puts a delicate and expensive sensor under a seat onto which things are going to spill?! Anyway, Porsche won’t cover this repair. So I’m asking myself “Why am I spending more money with this manufacturer?” I’m giving serious consideration to canceling my order and buying something else.

Any thoughts are appreciated. 🙂
I'm sorry this happened to you...that's an expensive :coffee:! Epically frustrating, I'm sure. I'm also sorry that some of the responses to your post have been childish.

When we purchase a luxury brand, we have high expectations for proportionate service recovery. Porsche tends to be service-centric, so, if this dealership knew they might loose 100+K for your 2022 order because of a $1600 off-warranty sensor repair, it's very likely that they will contemplate paying for the new sensor. If that fails, I suggest that you ask the dealership to provide empirical evidence that you caused the sensor to fail; they should be able to corroborate their position with specificity, beyond that of speculation. Lastly, you can always try to negotiate a repair cost share? Porsche normally understands that the best time to give great customer service is when a customer is upset. Let me know how it goes!

With respect.

I just ordered a 2022 GTS, which will be my fourth Porsche. However, the airbag light came on my 2020 GTS and the dealer tracked the problem to a sensor under the passenger seat. Coffee from my travel mug must have leaked out and through the seat perforations.

The cost to repair? $1,600! Who puts a delicate and expensive sensor under a seat onto which things are going to spill?! Anyway, Porsche won’t cover this repair. So I’m asking myself “Why am I spending more money with this manufacturer?” I’m giving serious consideration to canceling my order and buying something else.

Don't feel bad. I know guys from the PCA who fried their wiring harness in Boxsters because they either got caught with a window partially down or the drains got clogged as water accumulating inside. The stories made me so paranoid I checked the drains once a month.

The problem sounds like either with the pad or sensor. I'd try to let everything dry out first which could take days and days, before I paid anything. Maybe take a hair dryer and see if you could do something there.

If this was a defect etc from the factory, I would say you have every right to be upset. In this case, you spilt coffee in your seat which is a hot liquid. That liquid went through the seat and into ELECTRONICS....dah, yeah Porsche will charge you. I've had a few brake issues with my 2019 and Porsche didn't charge me at all and this was at 10k mileage. They replaced front and rear brakes-ROTARS and PADS. I have never been more happy with my Macan and quite frankly as a former Audi nut, I think this is my favorite car of all time! I get so many compliments on my car and let's be honest here....we all love our cars except you since you don't know not to spill hot coffee on your seat. Also, you bought a PORSCHE, not a Hyundai. It's one of the most expensive cars to maintain. If you were not aware of that before you bought it, you are now! You break it, you bought it! Grow up and take responsibilty for your actions. I think everyone's comments above validate that statement.

This may or may not play into the proper resolution . . . but has it been mentioned what kind of coffee this was?

If this was a nice blend from Heart, Stumptown or even Citerella . . . . maybe.

If this was Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks . . . I say make the owner pay and give'em 20 lashes.

Facts matter.

So I guess Porsche engineers are above reproach for you. I am a mechanical engineer (BS MS PhD!) and there is something called robust design. If you put a sensor in a place that may see spills, you shield the **** thing so a customer doesn’t have to shell out $1,600 for a simple mistake!
Yeah I guess you have a point. If I was designing the car I might provide some shielding since you can't fix stupid. But really from my POV it's a stretch to "see a spill" on a seat. My wife drops her coffee right into the console and I can't blame anyone and I mean no one for that. Not to mention Germans were quite reluctant to even put AC in cars let alone cupholders which alludes to their contention that cars are to be driven without dining facilities. As I mentioned I would have fixed it and moved on. I work in Medical Device repair and I see some interesting failures that cannot and will never be prevented by engineering.

... If I was designing the car I might provide some shielding since you can't fix stupid. ....
So, in your opinion, is it wrong to make cell phone water resistant bc if anyone gets their phone wet: "THEY ARE STUPID" and should have to pay for a new phone?

Reactions: 158624 and arnieosp

Run and cancel the order !

Get yourself a coffee mug/thermos that doesn’t spill. (Expensive) Problem solved!

Glad I just got the extra warranty for the interior in my Macan! I guess this doesn’t apply to your car, but they have had those sensors fail in earlier years.

If you are buying the 2022 GTS from them, I’d try to talk them into covering the repair. I’m sure they’d rather keep the sale. Doesn’t hurt to ask/nicely apply a little pressure.

So, in your opinion, is it wrong to make cell phone water resistant bc if anyone gets their phone wet: "THEY ARE STUPID" and should have to pay for a new phone?
Hmm... not sure. It depends on the cost benefit and of course the circumstance. I think coffee in the car is looking for trouble. Do you really think Porsche or any other manufacturers consider folks spilling a cup of coffee onto the seat? I mean heck there's got to be a line of responsibility somewhere. If I trip while getting into the car while holding a cup of coffee and it spills into the speedometer or even the console and kills the electronics, is that a design flaw?

41 - 60 of 89 Posts